Apple may surprise with late-2011 MacBook Pro refresh

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Then ask Microsoft Skype to fix their absurdly CPU-intensive software?

Have, on many occasions. Posting a issue to the Skype forums is like talking to a wall. Many others will respond, but you never, ever hear anything from the Skype team. Have also posted that we need to have the ability to share part of a screen, as I have a 27" monitor, but many of the folks I share with are on laptops. Again, all posts, some hundreds of posts long with tag alongs, sit with no response.

Skype is Microsoft now, right? So my expectations are not that high at the moment.
  • Reply 42 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Now I no the subject is MacBooks but this kinda applies across the line. I purchased an iMac (2011) that was maxed out at 3.4, 8G RAM (2@4ea), 6970 Radeon with 2048, a 1TB internal and a 256 SSD, etc?

What I am wondering is how people are optimizing the use between the SSD and the HD. My first approach was to make sure all applications are on the SSD and all my data and another archives etc are on the HD. Seem reasonable but as I am a developer with 1.6 million files total I wonder if there is a better way to split that. I hit a bunch of the tiny files on the hard drive when doing various builds and although the vast majority never get erased (except for when Apple is send out new SDK one after another).

Is anyone aware of strategies for dividing my mass storage to get the best performance and also a good long life out of the SSD which I have no desire to replace long before anything else is going bad.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to email me directly .

I would thing whatever is learned would tend to apply to laptops, all-in-ones, and pros, as long as they have a combo HD/SSD setup.

It's a tough one, I tried to use a HD in the CD drive bay from otherworldcomputing, but found that the drive spun all the time. For me, the SSD was more about not having vibrations, but the speed became addictive. So I optimized what I do, carry around a external HD sometimes, and have 2 SSD's in the computer.

Also, try Grand Perspective to get a look at where you can trim the files down, it helped me out.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Sigh. I was holding out for a new 15" form factor Pro (likely sans ODD, possibly with SSD + HDD and maybe a pound lighter + whatever other sweetness) in the 1st Q of 2012, but looks not to be in the cards until Summer...

I hope for new MB Air 15'' with same hi res, matte display option. That would be sweet, especially if the battery life is improved compared to 13'' MBA.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't bother. You obviously don't give a crap about Lion, so just buy a Windows 8 machine.

Windows 7 or 8 is even more abysmal, but it seems you didn't get my post.

I am okay with 10.6.8, it will work until my Macs die, but once I have to buy a new Mac, I might be in trouble. And Windows will not be the better solution, it just looks too busy.

And yes, right now, I don't give a crap about Lion, as many do too. And if you still remember your MR times, you might have come upon some people, who still used older version of Mac OS X while a new version was already available (10.4 users when 10.5 or 10.6 was out).

jav would be proud I guess.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I wonder if they'll manage to silently fix the SATA3 issue on these machines?

It would be nice to be able to use a third-party SSD on their top-of-the-range £2,099 laptop.

This.
  • Reply 46 of 135
    Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4?
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4? Bluetooth 4?

No, Apple will decide not to update hardware in their new MacBook Pros that every single other new Mac is currently receiving.

\
  • Reply 48 of 135
    they could outfit them with 10GHz Intel processors but who cares since there are no Thunderbolt hard drives available to get files on or off them?? Lame.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maggot777 View Post

they could outfit them with 10GHz Intel processors but who cares since there are no Thunderbolt hard drives available to get files on or off them?? Lame.

I don't even think there's a name for the type of trolling that is.
  • Reply 50 of 135
    I purchased my new MBP 17 earlier this year. I originally planned to wait until Lion was released, but when I learned of the lack of Rosetta, I pulled the trigger early.

I was coming from a G5 PowerMac, and I have far too many PPC apps to lose Rosetta. I am working on updates, but some of those useful utilities I use were never updated to Intel.

If this is merely a speed bump, I have no heartache over my purchase decision. Speed is not an issue. The MBP is much faster than my old G5 Dual.

What is missing from the MBP, for me, was an eSATA port and USB3. ExpressPort helped.

I guess the future is in ThunderBolt expansion devices.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I purchased my new MBP 17 earlier this year. I originally planned to wait until Lion was released, but when I learned of the lack of Rosetta, I pulled the trigger early.

I was coming from a G5 PowerMac, and I have far too many PPC apps to lose Rosetta. I am working on updates, but some of those useful utilities I use were never updated to Intel.

I don't know of a single OS X utility that isn't covered by an Intel version.

Use this site to help ease yourself along.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know of a single OS X utility that isn't covered by an Intel version.

Use this site to help ease yourself along.

I'll get there. But, 9 years of using PPC apps takes time to replace. I am also not made of money, and upgrades are not free. Just did the PhotoShop upgrade. That hurt!

Lion looks great! Can't wait to use it. But, There is nothing currently driving me to upgrade today. Snow Leopard is great as well.

Past experience tells me this: in a year, there will be many apps that will not run under anything but Lion. That will cause pressure, and more people will upgrade.

I am also a long time iTools/.mac/mobileme user. Other than performance of iDisk, I've been pretty happy with mobileme. I will probably hold off on switching there as well. This is the first area I suspect we will see pressure to upgrade to Lion. iCloud will likely work better with Lion.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danielrucci View Post

Anyone think USB 3.0 will be in the mix on this one?

Chirping
  • Reply 54 of 135
    Will this include a fix for the 15" Aug/Sept2011 Mac??? Pro laptop battery issues ?

In 10 mins it falls to 75% so it has to be plugged in constantly even if the laptop is in standby mode or what ever Apple calls standby mode.

Maybe it is just the normal Biltmore Phoenix AZ, 1st device is always old refurb sold as new, 2nd replacement device is always new or property packaged and properly cleared / OSX installed and not in french and not full of bugs as is default since 2004.

Or maybe it is just a battery bug ?

Any idea if there is going to be a video card updates in this refresh or not or same old Ipad video card / IGP AMD 67** we have now ?

Please add USB3.0 as transferring 250gb over LAN or via usb2.0 is a major pain and no I will not buy thunderbolt to replace what I own already and then have duplicate devices.

Migration software is well ..... what a joke maybe a fix for that in 10.7 .

Maybe add a 2 button non psycho mouse pad ?

20 days since open box and I wanted to constantly put this Apple laptop in the microwave out of frustration to make it work or do something / just work for once.

No wonder Steve Jobs ran away from Apple, I would be too embarrassed about Apple name on this laptop + 10.7 as well.

What a USD$2200 15" joke.
  • Reply 55 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G7Cube View Post

It would be a bug with YOUR battery, so you should take it in.

Quote:

Any idea if there is going to be a video card updates in this refresh or not or same old Ipad video card / IGP AMD 67** we have now ?

Not? sure where you think you get "iPad video card", but there's absolutely no way we can know what it will have.

We can speculate based on the new chips that have the same TDP as the current models.

Quote:

Please add USB3.0 as transferring 250gb over LAN or via usb2.0 is a major pain and no I will not buy thunderbolt to replace what I own already and then have duplicate devices.

Sure, you'll just buy USB 3.0 to replace what you own already and then have "duplicate devices".

Quote:

There's zero wrong with Migration Assistant.

Quote:

Buy a PC. We just got rid of the buttons and we would have never had two physical ones.

Quote:

20 days since open box and I wanted to constantly put this Apple laptop in the microwave out of frustration to make it work or do something / just work for once.

Sounds like you need a PC.

Quote:

No wonder Steve Jobs ran away from Apple, I would be too embarrassed about Apple name on this laptop + 10.7 as well.

Mods, please take care of this joker.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I wonder if they'll manage to silently fix the SATA3 issue on these machines?

It would be nice to be able to use a third-party SSD on their top-of-the-range £2,099 laptop.

I have an ssd sitting here waiting for my MBP to arrive. I've heard that my crucial m4ssd will work fine. It better for that much money.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    Quote:

Will this include a fix for the 15" Aug/Sept2011 Mac??? Pro laptop battery issues ?

In 10 mins it falls to 75% so it has to be plugged in constantly even if the laptop is in standby mode or what ever Apple calls standby mode.

Maybe it is just the normal Biltmore Phoenix AZ, 1st device is always old refurb sold as new, 2nd replacement device is always new or property packaged and properly cleared / OSX installed and not in french and not full of bugs as is default since 2004.

i think this guy got scammed for paying $2200 for a fake mac, and now he's complaining.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

I haven't actually seen any issues like you're describing with this model. Really if you bought such an item new and are experiencing all of these things, I would suggest returning it immediately. I've been stuck with bad devices before where I tried to make them work and really if it's better just to return a lemon rather than try to live with it and potentially have to rely on warranty servicing later.

Did you buy it from an Apple store? If not did you ensure it was an authorized Apple retailer wherever you did buy it? I haven't heard of any battery issues that extreme on that model, so I'm thinking lemon.
  • Reply 59 of 135
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Last I knew there where no issues. If your machine doesn't work right take it back. I'm assuming this is a ligitimate purchase and that you know what a warranty is.

Quote:

So why do you still have the machine. Are you scarred to walk into the Apple store and ask for an exchange?

Quote:

Sounds like you are full of it.

Quote:

Displaying even more ignorance are we?

Quote:

Computers are tools, tool use implies a higher level of evolution compared to lesser beasts. If you can't use your tool ....

Quote:

That is funny as 10.7 works well on my old 2008 MBP, which isn't exactlyna power house by today's standards. In fact I'd have to say 10.7 is one of Apples best major releases in years. It may have a bug or two and other issues but it delivers a lot of functionality for the cost.

Quote:

Well either you are playing a joke on the forum or you can't operate your tool. So which is it?
  • Reply 60 of 135
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

i think this guy got scammed for paying $2200 for a fake mac, and now he's complaining.

I think he went to one of those fake Chinese Apple stores