Apple may surprise with late-2011 MacBook Pro refresh

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

These people you list care about system responsiveness.

These people are not shopping based on tech specs. They go into an Apple store or try a friend's machine and it either feels fast or it feels sluggish. That or they read a review somewhere that opines that the machine is fast or not. They don't care why it feels fast or feels sluggish.

Ugh you know how much I'd love to do that when I need a new machine? The problem with the Apple store machines is that I can't necessarily test any software I use on them, and they're always using stock amounts of ram. It's not really their fault. The machines are displayed as they're sold in store, but the point being I run a lot of different stuff and require a lot of ram. I end up having to go off of stuff like specs and sites like barefeats. I ignore anything that's a benchmarking application and just look at tests on real applications along with looking at what kind of sequence they ran.
  • Reply 82 of 135
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Ugh you know how much I'd love to do that when I need a new machine? The problem with the Apple store machines is that I can't necessarily test any software I use on them, and they're always using stock amounts of ram. It's not really their fault. The machines are displayed as they're sold in store, but the point being I run a lot of different stuff and require a lot of ram. I end up having to go off of stuff like specs and sites like barefeats. I ignore anything that's a benchmarking application and just look at tests on real applications along with looking at what kind of sequence they ran.

The Apple stores will let you run whatever software you want -- within reason. If you reboot a machine, run your software, then check the size of the swap file, you can estimate how much RAM you need. Anyway, it sounds like you probably need to max out the RAM.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    Quote:

The Apple stores will let you run whatever software you want -- within reason. If you reboot a machine, run your software, then check the size of the swap file, you can estimate how much RAM you need. Anyway, it sounds like you probably need to max out the RAM.

They let you set up other software on them? That would be awesome. Usually I just kind of toy around with them but there's only so much you can calculate that way. I use a pretty wide range of graphics and image editing software. Photoshop is one and I can tell you when you do have image files loaded regularly that are large enough to where they have to be saved .psb (large file document format) you need considerably more ram and cpu than the minimum program requirement.
  • Reply 84 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Exactly! These people don't have a clue about the CPU, GPU or whatever. What they do know is that their hardware is noticeably slower than it should be or that they would like. Even many of a professional user doesn't care about the details they just know that XYZ piece of software works better, faster or whatever on certain hardware configurations. Sometimes they just take the software manufactures Suggestions blindly as to suitable hardware configs.

Totally agree with you here but I got to the point of doing as much testing as possible long ago. Others with more costly setups end up with machines that are less responsive than my own
  • Reply 85 of 135
    Quote:

They let you set up other software on them? That would be awesome.

Yes. Apple Stores will let you download and install software.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    So I went to Best Buy looking at the macbook's and found that all MacBooks were 50-80 dollars off. I asked If they new of an update and they said no but that they would accept returns without a restocking fee for 14 days. So my question is, if it were simply a processor update wouldn't best buy have the updated laptops already? But then why would best buy have the laptop's on sale?

I need to buy a MacBook but am going to wait and see what happens tomorrow.
  • Reply 87 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeppWaves03 View Post

So I went to Best Buy looking at the macbook's and found that all MacBooks were 50-80 dollars off. I asked If they new of an update and they said no but that they would accept returns without a restocking fee for 14 days. So my question is, if it were simply a processor update wouldn't best buy have the updated laptops already? But then why would best buy have the laptop's on sale?

I need to buy a MacBook but am going to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

There are always plenty of deals online. When you say "macbooks" do you mean the ones actually assigned that exact name which were discontinued or the macbook pros or airs? Best Buy isn't the only one that discounts from what is seen on the Apple store anyway. There are others that discount and sometimes bundle stuff like Parallels. I often check B&H but you have to read carefully because they have a lot of custom configurations, but if you spec it out identically to the Apple store they tend to come out cheaper.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Exclusive: With Intel's next-generation Core i-Series mobile platform not expected until the second quarter of 2012, Apple is reportedly preparing a refresh of its professional notebook line ahead of the holiday shopping season to better bridge the gap, AppleInsider has been told.

According to people with proven insight into Apple's future product plans, the late-2011 MacBook Pro refresh will deliver marginal speed bumps to the notebooks' Core i-Series of Sandy Bridge processors but will otherwise introduce no material changes over the existing models.*

This rumor is in alignment with the late-2011 iMac leak in a technical note from Apple. So I think there must be some truth in it and probably both the MBP and the iMac will get some minor updates before the end of this year.
  • Reply 89 of 135
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This rumor is in alignment with the late-2011 iMac leak in a technical note from Apple. So I think there must be some truth in it and probably both the MBP and the iMac will get some minor updates before the end of this year.

With the chips being available there is little to hold Apple back. I would hope that they bump base RAM also.
  • Reply 90 of 135
    Quote:

There are always plenty of deals online. When you say "macbooks" do you mean the ones actually assigned that exact name which were discontinued or the macbook pros or airs? Best Buy isn't the only one that discounts from what is seen on the Apple store anyway. There are others that discount and sometimes bundle stuff like Parallels. I often check B&H but you have to read carefully because they have a lot of custom configurations, but if you spec it out identically to the Apple store they tend to come out cheaper.

I was talking about the MacBook pro's. I realize there are better deals online using the price guide on this site, although I had not seen the MacBook pro on sale at best buy before.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    Quote:

I would hope that they bump base RAM also.

In the MacBook Pro and the iMac??? I think we need to wait for Apple to bump the base RAM up to 4GB in the MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro before we can hope to see Apple bump the base RAM in the MacBook Pro and iMac to above 4GB.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    Quote:

In the MacBook Pro and the iMac??? I think we need to for Apple to bump the base RAM up to 4GB in the MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro before we can hope to see Apple bump the base RAM in the MacBook Pro and iMac to above 4GB.

Well all of them except for possibly the AIRs which are a little tight. Ram is exceedingly cheap right now and LION loves RAM. Also; while more than a simple bump why not go with three channel controllers in the iMacs so we can get 6GB of RAM as a sort of compromise. Obviously the Mini is too compact for an economical implementation of three slots but still it could use a bump.

Currently I running a 2GB MBP from 2008 and do run into issues. Bumping RAM simply results in a better long term buy. Considering the price Apple tacks on the MBP this should be an easy move to make.

Speaking of RAM, whatever possessed Apple to put only 256 MB of video RAM on the Mini with the Radeon? Yes the Radeon is very fast compared to the Intel chip but that is a worthless comparison. The lack of video RAM just takes a good idea and crushes it with penny pinching.
  • Reply 93 of 135
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

I hope for new MB Air 15'' with same hi res, matte display option. That would be sweet, especially if the battery life is improved compared to 13'' MBA.

I'd buy it tomorrow. Except I don't expect it tomorrow. Maybe at the next rev of the MBA's, which of course is assuming the post below is correct, and the Airs and Pros are not destined to become a single line distinguished only by trim levels as a few have speculated.........

Quote:

I hope that Apple continue to distinguish between the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro. I think the essential difference should be that the MacBook Pro should continue to accommodate CPUs/GPUs with about double the thermal dissipation (about 35W) of those which the MacBook Air can accommodate (about 17W). Another difference would be that the MacBook Pro models would continue to include more ports than the MacBook Air models. I hope the MacBook Pro models would include two mSATA slots rather than the one slot of the MacBook Air.

Ideally, I think the MacBook Air should be offered in 11", 13", and 15" versions while the MacBook Pro should be offered in 13", 15", and 17" versions.

I agree with your specs and list of SKU's entirely.

Meanwhile, I NEED a machine before Q2 '12 tho' I wanted the next real iteration of the MBP15" or at least a 15" Air-class machine.

(Still, Intel have already announced revolutionary efficiency claims for the 2013 chips destined for their ultrabook hopes - and those might be a bigger inflection point than Ivy Bridge. Are there really any BAD times to buy anymore for Apple notebooks?)

So might pounce on the first refurb'd 13" current model Air I can find as a - from all reviews not too shabby at all step up - and into the iCloud....

BTW, tho', if there are any official 2011 Air refurbs, they're gone from the Apple site in no time. Do any of you know of a trustworthy non-Apple supply....??)
  • Reply 94 of 135
    Quote:

Well all of them except for possibly the AIRs which are a little tight. Ram is exceedingly cheap right now and LION loves RAM. Also; while more than a simple bump why not go with three channel controllers in the iMacs so we can get 6GB of RAM as a sort of compromise. Obviously the Mini is too compact for an economical implementation of three slots but still it could use a bump.

In my opinion, 4GB is the sweet spot for most users now. I think Apple would be making a business mistake to make the base configuration higher than 4GB now. Again, I think we can expect to see the base configuration bumped up to 4GB across the entire product line before we can expect to see it bumped to anything more than 4GB on any model. The only exception that seems at all possible is that the next Mac Pro might possibly have a base configuration of 8GB while the Mac Mini or the 11" MacBook Air (or both) still have a base configuration of 2GB, but I doubt it. I think the next Mac Pro will bump the base configuration from 3GB to 4GB.
  • Reply 95 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

if there are any official 2011 Air refurbs, they're gone from the Apple site in no time.

The 2010 MacBook Air is also very nice. I would suggest avoiding a MacBook Air older than 2010 though, unless you're on an extremely tight budget.
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I'd buy it tomorrow. Except I don't expect it tomorrow. Maybe at the next rev of the MBA's, which of course is assuming the post below is correct, and the Airs and Pros are not destined to become a single line distinguished only by trim levels as a few have speculated.........

I agree with your specs and list of SKU's entirely.

Meanwhile, I NEED a machine before Q2 '12 tho' I wanted the next real iteration of the MBP15" or at least a 15" Air-class machine.

Don't we all! I'm looking for a 15" machine simply because that is the best size for me, but I will hold off for a long while just to hopefully see some of these rumored improvements/revisions before my current machine gives up the ghost.

Quote:

(Still, Intel have already announced revolutionary efficiency claims for the 2013 chips destined for their ultrabook hopes - and those might be a bigger inflection point than Ivy Bridge. Are there really any BAD times to buy anymore for Apple notebooks?)

Intel is running scared and frankly it is driving innovation like we haven't seen in years. ARM is coming up form underneath and AMD is running with much better integrated graphics so Intel has no choice but to bring out exceptionally better products.

Quote:

So might pounce on the first refurb'd 13" current model Air I can find as a - from all reviews not too shabby at all step up - and into the iCloud....

BTW, tho', if there are any official 2011 Air refurbs, they're gone from the Apple site in no time. Do any of you know of a trustworthy non-Apple supply....??)

I wouldn't even consider a non Apple supplier of refurbs. Apple is out of the ordinary when it comes to refurb quality. The problem as you note is catching the model you want on the refurb store.

As a side note I have to wonder about the AIRs failure rate. It would be very interesting to know just how reliable the machines are. It sure is hard to find people willing to give them up.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Don't we all! I'm looking for a 15" machine simply because that is the best size for me, but I will hold off for a long while just to hopefully see some of these rumored improvements/revisions before my current machine gives up the ghost.

Intel is running scared and frankly it is driving innovation like we haven't seen in years. ARM is coming up form underneath and AMD is running with much better integrated graphics so Intel has no choice but to bring out exceptionally better products.

I wouldn't even consider a non Apple supplier of refurbs. Apple is out of the ordinary when it comes to refurb quality. The problem as you note is catching the model you want on the refurb store.

As a side note I have to wonder about the AIRs failure rate. It would be very interesting to know just how reliable the machines are. It sure is hard to find people willing to give them up.

I'm gonna take that second to last para as gospel unless someone else has an informed opinion..... ...thanks!
  • Reply 98 of 135
    Hummm well I am beginning to think there might not be an update. The back to school sale thing ended yesterday and the story lead me to believe that was a possible date. Now I am beginning to think either:

A) update might come with the announcement of new iPhones; or

B) no update.

Hummm I think I will buy once I am in the 14 day window for being able to return my laptop...Need a calendar to see what 14 days before the October announcement is...
  • Reply 99 of 135
    I would not expect any Macs to be announced on the same day as the iOS announcements. I believe Apple have always kept these separate.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    So I just found this little gem on Apple's website and made sure "any" does mean any by calling apple directly:

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change.