Case makers bet on iPhone 5 with 'completely different form factor'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some third-party accessory makers are banking on a completely redesigned look for Apple's fifth-generation iPhone, though time will tell whether their projections stem from real inside information or are based on bogus rumors.

For example, Case-Mate this week launched a new section of its website claiming to have "inside resources" on Apple's next iPhone. The site claimed that the fifth-generation iPhone will have a "completely different form factor" from the iPhone 4, with a design wider and thinner with an "extended home button."

The page was put up to replace a previous listing with variety of different cases claimed to have been designed for Apple's fifth-generation iPhone, which were captured by Boy Genius Report, but that has since been pulled down. Like others seen before, they showed a device with curved sides, a flat back, and a mute switch moved to the right side of the handset.

Case-Mate claims the so-called "iPhone 5" will have a dual-core A5 processor, an 8-megapixel camera, and "wireless charging." While the A5 processor and 8-megapixel camera are widely expected, Case-Mate's claims of wireless charging of the device make the contents of the page suspect.

The site also claimed that its "inside resources" indicated Apple will launch both an iPhone 5 and an "iPhone 4S" in early October. The iPhone 4S was said to feature the same form factor as the iPhone 4, but with an A5 processor and 8-megapixel camera.

In a similar story, new screen protectors claimed to be for Apple's fifth-generation iPhone cropped up this week at unwire.hk (via MacRumors). The accessories are designed to fit a device that is slightly larger than an iPhone 4, with a large oval-sized area where an iPhone's home button would be.

The screen protectors have been seen by some as evidence that Apple plans to release a redesigned iPhone this year with a larger screen and a touch-sensitive home button, as has been rumored. However, the design could be based on alleged iPhone 5 engineering sketches released earlier this year, or could even be designed for an entirely different non-Apple smartphone with a larger display, as there is nothing on the screen protector to suggest it is meant specifically for an iPhone.

Apple is expected to hold an event in the coming weeks to unveil its fifth-generation iPhone, and the handset is anticipated to go on sale in October. Rumors about the new hardware have been scattershot, with some claiming it will be a completely redesigned form factor, while others have suggested the device will look largely the same as the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can I have a samsung sticker built into the screen protector as well so I can confuse all my friends.

All jokes aside though I think the form factor looks killer. I wonder if there will be a way to scale existing apps onto that display while the developers are working on updates. Pixel double worked well for iPad, but I'm not sure if apple will have pixel 1.2 button on the phone. Perhaps we'll just have a black edge for the time being.

Also it looks like the Touch will not be bravely going into the larger territory, which is historic, as iPods always followed same screen size and pixel density (though crappier quality) displays. It will be interesting to see if developers will not have to code for 2 different display sizes, which smacks of the F word so thrown around against el Goog.

Man the announcement needs to happen soon, I can't wait to see what is actually introduced.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    If only we had someone on the inside that could give us the real story. Anyone know someone working at a bar in the Bay area?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Can I have a samsung sticker built into the screen protector as well so I can confuse all my friends.

All jokes aside though I think the form factor looks killer. I wonder if there will be a way to scale existing apps onto that display while the developers are working on updates. Pixel double worked well for iPad, but I'm not sure if apple will have pixel 1.2 button on the phone. Perhaps we'll just have a black edge for the time being.

Also it looks like the Touch will not be bravely going into the larger territory, which is historic, as iPods always followed same screen size and pixel density (though crappier quality) displays. It will be interesting to see if developers will not have to code for 2 different display sizes, which smacks of the F word so thrown around against el Goog.

Man the announcement needs to happen soon, I can't wait to see what is actually introduced.

As long as they keep the resolution and the ratio, there would be nothing for the developers to change. Since the 3GS and third generation iPod touch is also getting iOS 5, and is half the resolution, I don't see Apple introducing a third. I think 3.7" and the same resolution would still qualify it as "Retina Display" where 4" wouldn't, thus requiring a new resolution for Developers to contend with.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

All jokes aside though I think the form factor looks killer.

It's wretched. That's subjective, though.

Quote:

I wonder if there will be a way to scale existing apps onto that display while the developers are working on updates. Pixel double worked well for iPad, but I'm not sure if apple will have pixel 1.2 button on the phone. Perhaps we'll just have a black edge for the time being.

The resolution will be identical.

Quote:

Also it looks like the Touch will not be bravely going into the larger territory, which is historic, as iPods always followed same screen size and pixel density (though crappier quality) displays.

Implying this ISN'T actually the next iPod touch and the next stays the same iPhone. We'll see.

Quote:

Indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    These larger-screen iPhone rumors, which all seem based on the leaked schematic for case-makers awhile back indicate a the screen will not be symmetric top-to-bottom. Ie, less bezel on top and more bezel on bottom for the alleged larger and elongated home button.

I'm going to be bitterly disappointed if it is asymmetric as indicated. I find it hard to believe that Apple would ship it like that. Hard to believe. Really really hard to believe.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

As long as they keep the resolution and the ratio, there would be nothing for the developers to change. Since the 3GS and third generation iPod touch is also getting iOS 5, and is half the resolution, I don't see Apple introducing a third. I think 3.7" and the same resolution would still qualify it as "Retina Display" where 4" wouldn't, thus requiring a new resolution for Developers to contend with.

With iOS 5 supporting older devices with non-retina displays I cannot see Apple forcing every developer to support a third resolution. It think it much more likely that Apple realizes that 4" at the current resolution is still better than almost everything in the Android camp and that "bigger" might sell better than "highest resolution". Look at the huge anticipation for iPhone 5, the number of people itching to upgrade. Surely some of them are drooling at the prospect of a bigger display and don't care if the pixel density goes down slightly. In fact some of us with aging eyes are truly hoping the pixel density goes down so we stand a better chance of being able to read the small text that some apps/websites insist on using.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

What is the real gain in going from 3.5" to 3.7"?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    ...Apple is trying to teach these people a lesson by making them waste money making cases that won't work, and so they leaked fake designs to these manufacturers?

It is very possible.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

In fact some of us with aging eyes are truly hoping the pixel density goes down so we stand a better chance of being able to read the small text that some apps/websites insist on using.

How does lower pixel density help your aging eyesight (BTW, who does not have aging eyes?)?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

...Apple is trying to teach these people a lesson by making them waste money making cases that won't work, and so they leaked fake designs to these manufacturers?

It is very possible.

Tough business to be in, having to invest in tooling based on unreliable rumors.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

These larger-screen iPhone rumors, which all seem based on the leaked schematic for case-makers awhile back indicate a the screen will not be symmetric top-to-bottom. Ie, less bezel on top and more bezel on bottom for the alleged larger and elongated home button.

I'm going to be bitterly disappointed if it is asymmetric as indicated. I find it hard to believe that Apple would ship it like that. Hard to believe. Really really hard to believe.

I don't recall any rumors indicating asymmetry as you are describing. Link please?

The asymmetry I have read about is in the thickness - i.e. the phone tapers from being thickest at the *top* (where the camera is) to thinnest at the *bottom* (where the home button is). That does not affect the bezel.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If only we had someone on the inside that could give us the real story. Anyone know someone working at a bar in the Bay area?

That was right on time............
  • Reply 13 of 48
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

That was right on time............

Given this 'leak' from case-mate is admittedly based on 'insider sources', it seemed appropriate.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What is the real gain in going from 3.5" to 3.7"?

Weight. Size. Disutility.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Given this 'leak' from case-mate is admittedly based on 'insider sources', it seemed appropriate.

Apple's gonna be pissed.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Tough business to be in, having to invest in tooling based on unreliable rumors.

Not in this particular instance... I've ready about some 3D "printing" systems that you can basically design an object in something like a CAD program and then using a special "ink jet" type of printer you can "print" yourself whatever it is you have designed. I would imagine a prototype iPhone case would be the perfect type of thing to "print".
  • Reply 17 of 48
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

We could start questioning bartenders....believe me they know everything and have seen/heard everything you can imagine....
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Still predicting a $199/$299 iPhone 5 with a $99 iPhone 4S. Goodbye iPhone 4.

That's the only way to explain the confusion in all the rumors.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Tooling for a case is several orders of magnitude cheaper than tooling for the case itself...

Plus it gives Apple endorsed (<cough> taxed) cases a leg up... For about 2 weeks...

It would, however, be sheer genius if Apple were actually behind all the leaks. Leaking this here and that there... And then finding out who could keep a secret and who couldn't. Kind of like using dye to find where the leak occurred...

• Reply 20 of 48
    The rumours leading up to this have been so inconsistent that it's almost impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff. I've given up on speculation now!

All I want is to upgrade my 3GS with the "to be announced" new iPhone, it's taking too long!! The 3GS is fine but I'd really like a hardware upgrade (camera, and screen mostly), it'd be stupid to get a 4 this close to a new nodel coming out. Just wish they'd get on with it already!