Toolbar Icons (OS X)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so I've been going nuts editing my toolbar in the Finder (OS X 10.1.2).

I've added some frequently used folders (Downloads, Java projects, etc.). No problem. I even grabbed some new icons for them so I could easily differentiate between the different folders.

Now comes the kicker: how the heck do I get my documents and favorites added to the toolbar except with different icons? I cannot manage to get them to show up with the icons that I have set for the actual folders. The documents icon is always the two nondescript pages, and the favorites is always that dumb looking heart.

I HATE THOSE ICONS! I want to use my own (er, somebody else's hard work for my benefit ).

TIA

-Ender

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Some folders are hard-coded to use specific toolbar icons. You'll have to replace the default icons in the actual Finder.app. Specifically, have a look here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources
  • Reply 2 of 6
    enderender Posts: 353member
    What do I use to look 'inside' the Finder.app?

And then is it a simple case of finding the right icon and pasting a new one in?

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Simply control-click the Finder.app and select "Show Package Contents" to open the bundle and navigate to /Contents/Resources. Then look at the various *.icns files. You may need a third-party program or Apple's IconComposer (in the downloadable Developer Tools) to save your images in the correct format.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Great, thanks.

BTW-why do I have two "Finder" applications in the CoreServices folder? It is that way on both my G4/500 MP and my Ti PB 667, so I assume it's supposed to be like that, but why?

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 6
    One of those is Finder.app (a folder, actually, like all *.app's) and the other is Finder. Finder is a "Fake Finder" if you read the version number in the Get Info box. This is not needed by Mac OS X, but rather by OS9 to recognize the "System/Library" as a valid System Folder. According to the old ways, a valid System Folder must have a Finder and System (you'll find a Fake System in CoreServices too).

Apple's playing mental tricks with its own software.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Apple's playing mental tricks with its own software. </strong><hr></blockquote>

ha! :cool: