OSX becomes unresponsive on connecting to internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

Just wondering if any of you have been experiencing this problem:

Mac OS X sometimes becomes unresponsive when I am trying to connect to the internet; I get a spinning cursor for about 5 minutes after clicking "connect". This is different from the Finder becoming unresponsive; I am unable to access the Dock or any other open window, including the terminal. An open terminal freezes.

After a while, it "unsticks" itself and connects as normal.

I am using an iMac DV 400, OS X 10.1.2 with 512 Mb physical RAM.

I can stop this happening with a restart; however this is a bit annoying for me as an OS X convert

Has anyone had the same problem, and does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    This is a very common bug. I'm not sure if it's only on 400MHz iMac DV's or not. Look at Apple's support forums for more information.

There is no fix/workaround, and I do not believe that Apple has acknowledged the bug even exists.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It happens on all Macs, AFAIK. Happens 90% of the time on my iBook too. They better fix it soon.

Funny thing, is, it's been doing it for the last week for me, but this week it hasn't. Maybe it's a date thing?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The users in the Apple Discussions forum did an extensive troubleshooting process, and couldn't tie anything down. I've had the problem on my iMac since the Public Beta. It's hardly an issue on my iBook, but it has hiccuped for a few seconds on occasion.