Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Murmurs from Apple's overseas supply chain, combined with potential hints in the invitation to next week's iPhone event, have dampened speculation that Apple will introduce two new iPhone models next week.

Checks with Apple's overseas supply chain have indicated that Apple will only introduce one new iPhone model next week, analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said in a note to investors on Wednesday.

In addition to those rumors, Wu said he found it "intriguing" that Apple's invitation to next week's iPhone event features the recognizable green iOS phone icon with a number 1 displayed on it. He sees that as a potential signal that Apple intends to introduce only one true fifth-generation iPhone next Tuesday.

Similarly, John Gruber of Daring Fireball offered his own commentary on Tuesday after the invitations went out: "Something tells me there's only one new iPhone," the well-sourced author wrote.

Also joining Wu is analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray, who said on Tuesday that he does not expect Apple to introduce a low-end iPhone this year. He sees one proper "iPhone 5" model, being sold at the traditional $199 and $299 price points seen by previous Apple handsets.

For weeks prior to the invitations being issued, there was rampant speculation that Apple will introduce two iPhone models this year: a low-end, contract-free handset dubbed the "iPhone 4S," and a full-fledged, redesigned "iPhone 5." Various reports claimed that the iPhone 4S would look nearly the same as the current iPhone 4, and would be geared toward midrange smartphone buyers in predominantly prepaid markets like China.

Like Munster, Wu sees Apple announcing a single new flagship iPhone model at next week's event. He believes the current iPhone 4 could see "minor changes," along with a likely price cut to $99 with a new service contract.

Instead of introducing a new handset to address the entry-level market, Wu said he believes it is more likely that Apple could offer the iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009, for as little as free to customers on contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Only one phone=4s=failure.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Keeping the 3GS makes sense. However what doesn't is a 16 month delay to put in new processor in a phone with no other changes.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Likely it'll be an actual iPhone flagship replacement and a repositioning of the iPhone4 as the entry level offering.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Keeping the 3GS makes sense. However what doesn't is a 16 month delay to put in new processor in a phone with no other changes.

See what is actually released. Apple has thrown up a great smoke screen this year, no one really knows what to expect anymore
  • Reply 5 of 73
    I hope it's a brand new model (larger screen). Otherwise this "Let's talk iPhone" will be a very short conversation.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    But Al Gore said "iPhones" so it must be more than one!
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Apple MUST be doomed.

Come off it.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Do all the rumor mongers experience severe depression once Apple actually announces its plans? It seems some people will lose their reason for living!
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Do all the rumor mongers experience severe depression once Apple actually announces its plans? It seems some people will lose their reason for living!

No, they just make reading the forums a living Hell as they whine and complain about features Apple was never going to give them in the first place.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Wow. As maddening as it is, good job to Apple for keeping their plans in the dark this time around. First the new iPhone was going to be a small tweak, then a major revision, then one of each, then just one.

Next Tuesday will definitely be one of the more interesting presentations from Apple. 1) Mystery iPhone 2) Hidden iOS 5 features ("Assistant"?) 3) First presentation without Steve Jobs 4) Possible iPod refresh?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:

Won't make Verizon and Sprint too happy. I agree that it makes sense if iOS 5 and the new cloud stuff works fine. I'd guess that much of the delay was timing it with the new OS - pretty new-feature-rich.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:

This is what makes me hope that they have in fact made a big change, (like perhaps it's an LTE phone already) and they will surprise us.

Even so however, the argument could be made that the delay was more about moving the "expected" iPhone release date to the fall, so that they would have a blockbuster fall product (considering the poor performance of the iPod lately and the expected demise of same). It may be no more than that and we will see the iPhone released in the fall each year from now on.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products. while every new product doesnt have to be revolutionary, they should be ok that evolutionary isnt a bad thing. an improved iphone w/ features consumers want will only help. they dont have do break the mold with every event. also, while the iphone4 is a great device that has sold like crazy, i know a good amount of people who say they preferred their droids. all for the same reason: using the iphone as a phone is not great. not just on att but vz as well. and others say they cant get used to the on screen keypad.

apple should realize ios is losing ground to android because there are phones in every price range that use the android os. having greater variety of apple products using ios will only help keep apple at the top of the pile. not to mention that they must be getting a lot of people to buy more apple product because of the iphone. i have multiple friends who have switched to mac because they were so pleased with their iphone and figured a mac would be worth the extra over a pc.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    As Apple usually disappoints, it's always best to err on the side of caution. I am placing my bets on an iPhone 4S being the only new iPhone. The redesign won't come until the entire Western world is ready for 4G.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:

Absolutely.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products.

Yeah!

• Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products.

And the next model of iPhone is a new product. Or maybe that's not good enough for you. Maybe you DESERVE to have two models of iPhone. Maybe Apple OWES IT TO YOU to make something 100% new every single time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Absolutely.

You people are making me very, VERY incredulous.

Look, forget it. You're all trolls anyway.

• Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:

Dunno about failure, Apple moves massive numbers of products. I bet that the new iPhone will sell big, no matter what. Like real big. Massive.

That being said, the year-and-a-half wait for a refreshed iPhone 4 will be a big disappointment for many people.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

But Al Gore said "iPhones" so it must be more than one!

Apple usually sells more than one phone each year.

-------

WTF is wrong with this thread anyway? It's almost exclusively trolls and weirdos.

I have no idea what a picture of Al Gore throwing up Al Gore even means.

Let me try to fit in:

"Apple is stoopid! I love them so much. What a dumb strategy they have. They are going to win!!! but for now they are DOOMED!"