Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And the next model of iPhone is a new product. Or maybe that's not good enough for you. Maybe you DESERVE to have two models of iPhone. Maybe Apple OWES IT TO YOU to make something 100% new every single time.

You people are making me very, VERY incredulous.

Look, forget it. You're all trolls anyway.

What is your deal Skil? Can you just not tolerate anything but blind adoration for your Lord and Master Steve or what? People aren't saying they deserve anything. What they, and I, are saying is that if this new model isn't an upgrade that puts the line on par with what is already on the market from Apple's competitors (larger screen, 8mp camera, at least HSPA+ but ideally LTE) then they are likely to either not upgrade this year, or go with a competing model that DOES have the features they want. There is nothing wrong with that viewpoint, as that is normally how the retail market works. I'm usually a Samsung guy when it comes to TV's, but last Christmas I found a great TV from Sharp that had the same size screen and similar if not better image quality, but also offered built in wifi, all for the same price as the closest model from Sammy. Guess which one I bought?

If you want to be a devout Apple customer, that is fine, but you don't argue your point logically or reasonably. Instead, you act like rabid fanboy, incensed that anyone would dare not blindly throw their money at anything with the Apple logo stamped on it, and attack them personally instead of discussing their points like an adult capable of rational thought. YOU, skil, are the troll, and you need to either start playing nice, or back off. I come here to discuss Apple products and news, not argue with an immature obsessed zealot.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Apple will release an iPhone 5 to go along with iOS 5 - a major revision. Remember, Apple likes to keep things simple for the most part. Aligning the number/version of the phone with the version of iOS that it runs only seems logical.

It just makes simple sense.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see, because the difference between a 3.7 display with the highest resolution on the market place is so much smaller and more difficult to read than a 4 inch display with a third less pixels...?

Having the highest resolution in the market doesn't guarantee that it's the easiest to read. A lot of text is not resolution independent so smaller dots on the screen means the text gets physically smaller. Something that I can read when the letters are 6mm high may be difficult to read if drawn only 4mm high.

If I have to get out reading glasses to use your device it's absolutely guaranteed that I won't buy it.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having the highest resolution in the market doesn't guarantee that it's the easiest to read. A lot of text is not resolution independent so smaller dots on the screen means the text gets physically smaller. Something that I can read when the letters are 6mm high may be difficult to read if drawn only 4mm high.

Very true. That is why people like the bigger screens on the newest Android phones. When they zoom up to 6mm, the image still fits on the page. On a phone with a small screen, it scrolls off the edge.

The Retina display is great, but if Apple made it regular sized (for today's market) it would be even better. The 4mm text is tiny, and the screen is not big enough to accommodate much zoom. That is likely one reason why so many more people prefer Android phones.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Very true. That is why people like the bigger screens on the newest Android phones. When they zoom up to 6mm, the image still fits on the page. On a phone with a small screen, it scrolls off the edge.

The Retina display is great, but if Apple made it regular sized (for today's market) it would be even better. The 4mm text is tiny, and the screen is not big enough to accommodate much zoom. That is likely one reason why so many more people prefer Android phones.

I agree that a larger screen is needed, but I also don't like Android phones. So, right now I am rocking a Samsung Focus WP7. I cannot go back to a 3.5 inch screen. Old eyes! I like Mango and can use it for a while until Apple updates the screen size.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:

And if it's larger than 3.5", I'll never buy one. It will never be outmoded for me. Larger screens are 'outmoded'.

To each his own.

NEVER BUY ONE? It's always a bad idea to make blanket statements. Better start stocking up on iPhone 4's then, because sooner or later, Apple will increase the size of the screen.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see, because the difference between a 3.7 display with the highest resolution on the market place is so much smaller and more difficult to read than a 4 inch display with a third less pixels...?

Drop the sarcasm. First, the iPhone 4 has a 3.5 inch screen, not a 3.7 inch screen. And yes, it is much easier to read a 4 inch screen. That higher resolution isn't doing a bit of good unless you are zooming in.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Focus is a damn fine device. I still have yet to receive my Mango update..

I prefer Apple's method of releasing the update everyone at the same time versus MS/carriers limiting the release of Mango. Here is a trick:

1. Plug your Focus into Zune (I think Windows Connector works too).

2. Check for update.

3. If there is no update found, hit okay.

4. Check for update again, BUT unplug your internet IMMEDIATELY. Wait up to 30 seconds.

5. Poof. Your phone and Zune says there is an update. Hit update.

6. Do this a couple of times depending on how many updates you need to get to Mango. Mine was a new phone so it took 2(?) updates.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

What they, and I, are saying is that if this new model isn't an upgrade that puts the line on par with what is already on the market from Apple's competitors (larger screen, 8mp camera, at least HSPA+ but ideally LTE) then they are likely to either not upgrade this year, or go with a competing model that DOES have the features they want. There is nothing wrong with that viewpoint

As to the end, you're absolutely right. I have no problem with people wanting upgraded specs on the next iPhone.

But as to the beginning, if you'd read my post, what you'd see is a complaint about how people are demanding two brand new devices. Which I think falls under 'sense-of-entitlementy' nonsense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

because sooner or later, Apple will increase the size of the screen.

There's absolutely no proof of this. It's not the race we had in the naughties with LCD monitor sizes.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

There's absolutely no proof of this. It's not the race we had in the naughties with LCD monitor sizes.

So you are going on the record as stating that Apple will NEVER increase the screen size of the iPhone? That IF the iPhone is still around in 10 years it will still have a 3.5 inch screen...really...is that what you are trying to imply?

Wow....just.....wow.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

So you are going on the record as stating that Apple will NEVER increase the screen size of the iPhone?

LOL, because obviously I said that. Nice try.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:

LOL, because obviously I said that. Nice try.

My post:

because sooner or later, Apple will increase the size of the screen.

You:

• Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:

And the next model of iPhone is a new product. Or maybe that's not good enough for you. Maybe you DESERVE to have two models of iPhone. Maybe Apple OWES IT TO YOU to make something 100% new every single time.

You people are making me very, VERY incredulous.

Look, forget it. You're all trolls anyway.

read the rest of my post. i dont feel i DESERVE anything from apple. i dont even understand how you came to that conclusion. i also expressed a similar opinion to yours regarding the fact they dont have to come out with new devices all the time and that upgrades of current products are a good thing. in my opinion, they would be well suited to introduce a new device after more than a year.

but those are just my opinions. no need to call me a troll typewriter tough guy. you post more on this site than i do.... have a good one.