Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Despite the fact that he is no longer CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs is "expected" to appear at Tuesday's iPhone event alongside current Chief Executive Tim Cook, a new report claims.

The information stems from a Reuters story filed on Monday, which suggested Jobs will appear at this week's iPhone event. However, the report also cautioned that "a no-show by the Apple co-founder will not be a major disappointment."

Author Poornima Gupta did not indicate whether the expectations of an appearance by Jobs come from inside information obtained through sources, or if rumors of an appearance by Jobs are simply speculation on the part of Wall Street analysts quoted in the story.

Facing continued health issues, Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple in August, though he remains an employee as chairman of the company's board of directors. Jobs typically introduces Apple's newest products to the public, including a surprising return to the stage in March, where he unveiled the iPad 2 despite being in the midst of a medical leave of absence.

For this week's event, reports have indicated that Cook, the current CEO, will preside over the keynote and introduce Apple's fifth-generation iPhone. The only iPhone that wasn't introduced by Jobs was the iPhone 3GS in 2009. That keynote was led by Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

Cook, Jobs & Schiller in 2009 | Source: Getty Images.

In fact, prior to the report from Reuters on Monday, rumors had suggested Jobs would not appear at the iPhone media event. John Paczkowski of All Things D said weeks ago that Cook is "certain to preside over" the unveiling and all future Apple media events, inheriting that responsibility from his predecessor.

The latest Reuters story also reiterated its report from August, in which the publication cited sources who said Apple's next iPhone will have a bigger touchscreen but will look largely the same as the current-generation iPhone 4. The publication also claimed that the iPhone 5 will have a better antenna, faster processor and an 8-megapixel camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh, good. A thirtieth thing with which Apple will "disappoint" us when it doesn't actually happen.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    First!

EDIT: Damit! God damn geostationary towers

• Reply 3 of 93
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If there was ever a secret that was easy to keep it would be the status of Steve Jobs' attendance tomorrow. Any outsider "knowledge" of this is just a guess.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

First!

EDIT: Damit! God damn geostationary towers

You can't even imagine the data rates we get up here.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I just assumed Steve Jobs would make a brief appearance... A final appearance to publicly thank everyone and pass the torch to Tim.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Steve's not completely uninvolved with the company. He's still part of the board, and I would not be a bit surprised if he makes a brief appearance. My prediction is he'll make an appearance of some sort on these big events as long as his health permits.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    Sheesh. I find myself real hype about this event.

Wanna see how Cook fares.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Er, as to the phone, I would like to see a larger screen that goes edge to edge. I also like this design. I don't know how much thinner Apple can make it and still squeeze in the same size battery.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Pretty obvious: Jobs will receive a FaceTime call over 3G at the building site for the new HQ. And he'll be wearing a hard hat.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    tylerdtylerd Posts: 33member
    The baton has been passed. Any appearance by Mr. Jobs would undermine the very idea of him stepping down and passing the helm to Mr. Cook. This will not happen folks.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I just assumed Steve Jobs would make a brief appearance... A final appearance to publicly thank everyone and pass the torch to Tim.

Agreed, a public hand over would be nice and quite plausible I'd have thought.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty obvious: Jobs will receive a FaceTime call over 3G at the building site for the new HQ. And he'll be wearing a hard hat.

Yes, I think this would be the best way for SJ to make a cameo appearance. Tim Cook needs to show that he can be the front-man in these types of events. Besides, I wouldn't want to see SJ if he's looking even thinner than the last time we saw him.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    What? Did everyone think Steve would just ride off into the sunset without another appearance? Not likely...Apple is still his baby.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    Apple Insider:

Outcome A is a possibility.

But if not A then B, and that's ok too.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Please don't do this and ruin Tim Cooks event.

A brief FaceTime only- if anything. Like Dick Clark on New Years eve.

Otherwise the press will be watching his every move for his fanboys.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    It will be good to roll out the old guy for his last hurrah!
  • Reply 17 of 93
    I don't think it would undermine Cook at all. Jobs became more than just a CEO. He became an icon. One of the true innovators in tech. His vision was impeccable. Him appearing to introduce something or to give a final speech or even in the audience smiling would be a great sight. I'm not expecting it but it would be nice.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    I would like to see Steve Jobs appear to introduce a brand new product. A "One More Thing" intro. Something the public is not expecting.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I just don't think it's appropriate for Steve to appear on stage. All of this slobbering over him is completely misplaced and inappropriate...it would be so ridiculously condescending and undermining to have Steve introduce the CEO, or any similar fanfare. This is a business, not a love affair, not a movie.

Steve resigned. Tim is in charge. Tim should take the stage and OWN it tomorrow, if he ever has a chance at impressing investors and customers.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I think Steve will welcome everyone to the event, go through the usual boring stuff (Sales etc), introduce iPhone 5, then hand it over to Cook.

This will

A) Prove that Steve is alive and well and;

B) show that Steve has faith in Cook.