Steve Jobs gave pre-release iPad 2 to President Obama

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
U.S. President Barack Obama revealed recently that one of the perks of his job includes having received an advance copy of Apple's iPad 2 directly from Steve Jobs himself.

Obama revealed the fact in an interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulous (via NetworkWorld).

?Steve Jobs actually gave it to me, a little bit early," he said. "Yeah, it was cool. I got it directly from him.?

Jobs may have had an opportunity to present Obama, a self-professed fan of Research in Motion's BlackBerry phones, with the device at a dinner in San Francisco in February, just two weeks before the unveiling of the iPad 2 in early March.

The dinner included several other prominent Silicon Valley executives, such as Google's Eric Schmidt, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and Oracle's Larry Ellison. A photo of the gathering shows that Jobs was seated to the president's left.

In late March, Obama revealed in an interview that he owned an iPad and had tethered it to his BlackBerry smartphone.

Obama has indicated that he holds Jobs in high regard. Last December, the president praised him as an exemplary model of the "American dream."

"We celebrate somebody like a Steve Jobs, who has created two or three different revolutionary products. We expect that person to be rich, and that's a good thing. We want that incentive. That's part of the free market."

The two also met last year to discuss issues regarding technology, the economy and education in U.S.

President Obama shown with an iPad 2. Photo via The White House.

After leading what some have called the greatest corporate turnaround in the history of the U.S., Jobs stepped down as Apple's CEO in August, saying that the day had come when he could no longer meet the "duties and expectations" of the role. He remains with the company as Chairman of the Board, director, and employee.

Jobs has battled several significant health complications, including pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant, in recent years. Prior to stepping down as CEO, he had been on a medical leave of absence since January of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    Note the snipers on the roof. Quite intense to live under such a blanket.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    Had it been Android tablet, it would have been killed on site - security alert.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Obama revealed the fact in an interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulous (via NetworkWorld).

“Steve Jobs actually gave it to me, a little bit early," he said. "Yeah, it was cool. I got it directly from him.”

"Samsung actually gave it to me, a little bit early. Yeah, it was cool. I got the Droid directly from them."

• Reply 4 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think that it's a bad idea to give anybody highly secretive Apple products before they're launched, and that includes the POTUS. I don't believe that any public officials should be allowed to receive gifts or favors from any company, as it is highly improper, it's a conflict of interests and it verges on bribery.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Took this on or about July 4th, 2010.

• Reply 6 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that it's a bad idea to give anybody highly secretive Apple products before they're launched, and that includes the POTUS. I don't believe that any public officials should be allowed to receive gifts or favors from any company, as it is highly improper, it's a conflict of interests and it verges on bribery.

What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be in bed?
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be in bed?

If that's the best rebuttal that you can come up with, then I would suggest that it's you who belongs in bed, because your mind is obviously already asleep.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    I wish Jobs activated it first and penned a secret letter via Notes on how to be a leader. Obummer could've used the advice.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    First guy on the block to have an iPad2!!!! Oh wait..... He's the only guy living on that block... or two... or three.

I was the first guy on mine with one too. Still am.. Bunch of old farts round me.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I wish Jobs activated it first and penned a secret letter via Notes on how to be a leader. Obummer could've used the advice.

Let's not turn it that direction.

Edit: kinda cool that the U.S. Chief Exec was pumped about getting something from just the Apple Chief Exec.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple has been busy making a lot of enemies lately and giving products early to the President can be construed as bribery. Some places I have worked I would have not even been allowed to accept such gifts.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Surprised that with all that advance knowledge, Obama couldn't come up with an idea to tax it...
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Apple has been busy making a lot of enemies lately and giving products early to the President can be construed as bribery. Some places I have worked I would have not even been allowed to accept such gifts.

One of the things given to the office. It'll probably end up in the Obama Library with the:

XOXOXO

-Steve

note.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Let's not turn it that direction.

Speaking of direction, Obama will have his choice from a litany of iPad map apps to help find his way back to Chicago on January 20, 2012.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macvicta View Post

speaking of direction, obama will have his choice from a litany of ipad map apps to help find his way back to chicago on january 20, 2012.

hurrrrrrrr
  • Reply 16 of 84
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't mind it really.

Quote:

As I said before the election, "I am ready to lead."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Surprised that with all that advance knowledge, Obama couldn't come up with an idea to tax it...

Working on it pal.

Quote:

Speaking of direction, Obama will have his choice from a litany of iPad map apps to help find his way back to Chicago on January 20, 2012.

Don't need it. I'm stayin'!!
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I don't mind it really.

As I said before the election, "I am ready to lead."

Working on it pal.

Don't need it. I'm stayin'!!

Hey buddy!

Do they make good golf course maps and range finder apps for the iPad?

Since you took the time to stop by and all,, thought I'd let you know, I converted my millions to gold bullion and have it offshore in my jet. Ya can't tax what ya can't find.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Mr. President!, your presence is urgently required in the situation room, we have just moved to Defcon 3!

Obama: Screw that! Don't interrupt a man playing with his iPad! I just gotta complete this Angry Birds level first!

• Reply 19 of 84
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Wait running Apple is like running a democracy? Are you sure?

Thus the phrase engineering via committee mean anything to you?
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Wait running Apple is like running a democracy? Are you sure?

Thus the phrase engineering via committee mean anything to you?

Yes. Yes.

Yes.