Apple becomes world's leading smartphone vendor ahead of new iPhone debut

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple now sells more smartphones than any other hardware maker in the world, and the company's sales are only expected to increase with today's introduction of the next iPhone.

This week, IHS iSuppli revealed its latest figures, showing Apple's 20.3 million smartphones shipped in the second quarter of calendar 2011 was the most of any company. Apple's totals beat out No. 2 Samsung, with 19.6 million, and third-place Nokia, with 16.7 million.

"With the refresh of the iPhone line... along with continued expansion of Apple?s sales channels, we expect the company to continue to maintain its momentum in the smartphone market in the third quarter and beyond," said Francis Sideco, senior principal analyst of wireless communications for IHS. Apple will introduce its new iPhone at an event today.

"However, Samsung has been coming on strong during the last few quarters, driven by its participation in both the high- and low-end smartphone segments," Sideco added. "One of the key indicators of how the smartphone competitive landscape will evolve during the next six to 12 months will be whether or not Apple will continue to stay exclusively in the high-end market, or if it will introduce a low-end model."

Apple already revealed in its own quarterly earnings report in July that iPhone sales exceeded 20 million for the three-month frame. The numbers from IHS put those figures in perspective, as Apple's sales were driven by the year-old iPhone 4, which has remained the top-selling smartphone in the U.S. well into its lifespan.

IHS sees the iPhone continuing to play a "key role" in rapid expansion of the smartphone market. The research firm expects a total of 478 million smartphones to be shipped in calendar 2011, up 62.4 percent from the 294 million in 2010.

Apple's sales are exceeding the market average, with the iPhone seeing 142.2 percent annual unit shipment growth in the second quarter of 2011. Rival Samsung even exceeded that, posting 600 percent year over year growth in shipments.

Looking into the future, IHS sees more than a billion smartphones being sold in the year 2015, more than doubling their anticipated totals in 2011. In 2015, smartphone shipments are expected to account for more than half of all cellphones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Apple is doomed!

• Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple is doomed!

Yeah... this ought to shut those people up... unless they insist on comparing Apple's iPhone to all the different devices made by many manufacturers that run Google's OS...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Based on Samsung's growth rate I don't think Apple's new iPhone offerings — no matter how great — will be able to keep Samsung from pushing ahead in the next quarter. Samsung simply has too many units and too many lower-tier devices to stay at 18% of the world's smartphone market. However, if Apple does release a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile and/or come out with multiple new sizes/price points then might be enough to stave off Samsung.

But all that is moot since profit is the game, not overall percentage of units sold.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Based on Samsung's growth rate I don't think Apple's new iPhone offerings ? no matter how great ? will be able to keep Samsung from pushing ahead in the next quarter. Samsung simply has too many units and too many lower-tier devices to stay at 18% of the world's smartphone market. But all that is moot since profit is the game, not overall percentage of units sold.

It seems like Samsung is taking a dent in the profit pool as well though. They really are doing well. Can't wait until they shoot themselves like they did with the TVs...
  • Reply 5 of 24
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... this ought to shut those people up... unless they insist on comparing Apple's iPhone to all the devices made by many manufacturers that run Google's OS...

This is interesting news, but I wouldn't expect this to halt those comparisons. Marketshare for the Mac is (and always has been) compared to everything under the sun running Windows which is basically the same scenario.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Apple is doomed!

Too bad that there is no Stanley Cup for this stuff. Go team!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Yeah... this ought to shut those people up... unless they insist on comparing Apple's iPhone to all the different devices made by many manufacturers that run Google's OS...

Oh, I doubt if it will.

Some people live in a dreamworld where the laws of physics and economics of consumer electronics manufacturing don't apply. They will concoct some sort of weird "theory" as to why the universe is flat, etc. saying stuff like "my sister's boyfriend's roommate who works at an AT&T store said that..."
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Too bad that there is no Stanley Cup for this stuff. Go team!

Oh, but there is...

It's called profitability. Shareholders love it.

• Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Based on Samsung's growth rate I don't think Apple's new iPhone offerings ? no matter how great ? will be able to keep Samsung from pushing ahead in the next quarter. Samsung simply has too many units and too many lower-tier devices to stay at 18% of the world's smartphone market. However, if Apple does release a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile and/or come out with multiple new sizes/price points then might be enough to stave off Samsung.

But all that is moot since profit is the game, not overall percentage of units sold.

You're assuming Apple is trying to meet some mythical quota. I don't think they are.

Your last sentence sums it up nicely though... companies are in business to make money.... not trying to sell the most things.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You're assuming Apple is trying to meet some mythical quota. I don't think they are.

I assumed nothing. I pointed out, based on the data in the chart, Samsung will be very likely be the largest smartphone vendor by number of units sold by the next quarter results. That has nothing to do with Apple's focus or intent.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    If only 4s is coming this year, Apple is not going to lead. Only 11% of existing owners plan to upgrade compared to 50% in case of iphone5 release.

Siri integration is way oversold. Most of the users will probably dump this feature after a few frustrating attempts to request something that the assistant will misunderstand.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Oh, but there is...

It's called profitability. Shareholders love it.

Ummmm.....I think that while the megacorporations that have financial interests in Hockey teams drool at the T-Shirt sales that winning the Stanley Cup gives them, there is more cultural significance than mere profit to millionaires.

I've never seen fans cheer that other people get rich when their sports team wins the championship. Super Bowl! Yeah! Robert Kraft can now afford to buy another island in the Caribbean! Let's go celebrate!

No, somehow I think there's more to it than rich people getting richer.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

If only 4s is coming this year, Apple is not going to lead.

Quote:

Only 11% of existing owners plan to upgrade compared to 50% in case of iphone5 release.

Based on data collected when absolutely no one knows anything about the phone.

Quote:

Siri integration is way oversold.

And since it hasn't even been tried to be sold yet, that's just more laughable nonsense on the pile.

Quote:

that the assistant will misunderstand.

Oh, you've used it? So you know how good it is?

• Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Ummmm.....I think that while the megacorporations that have financial interests in Hockey teams drool at the T-Shirt sales that winning the Stanley Cup gives them, there is more cultural significance than mere profit to millionaires.

I've never seen fans cheer that other people get rich when their sports team wins the championship. Super Bowl! Yeah! Robert Kraft can now afford to buy another island in the Caribbean! Let's go celebrate!

No, somehow I think there's more to it than rich people getting richer.

It's like the poor black single mom working 2 jobs cheering because she found out Oprah is worth more than 1Billion. Or the kids in the ghetto getting into arguments over who is richer, Jay-Z or Lil Wayne...

aka, retarded ass arguments that really mean nothing to the end user (overall) and just another thing to justify fandom.

I for one, don't care if Android is more of the smartphone market share than iOS...as long as it keeps improving internally and externally I'm happy.

I don't care if Larry Page and countless others add extra 0s to their balances.

edit: 8 minutes

edit edit...either the timer is off or the event starts a bit before 1pm EST.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

If only 4s is coming this year, Apple is not going to lead. Only 11% of existing owners plan to upgrade compared to 50% in case of iphone5 release.

It really amazes me that people are still using that silly survey.

11% will buy an iPhone 4S, but 50% would buy an iPhone 5. But that doesn't say a thing about features, price, or ANYTHING other than the name. So if they released exactly the same phone with the two different names, more than 4 times would buy it if it's called iPhone 5 compared to the number who would buy it if it's callled iPhone 4S? I call BS.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

I assumed nothing. I pointed out, based on the data in the chart, Samsung will be very likely be the largest smartphone vendor by number of units sold by the next quarter results. That has nothing to do with Apple's focus or intent.

Oh I know... I didn't mean you specifically
  • Reply 17 of 24
    This is what the 1 on top of the phone icon means on the event invitation.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    IS there a live stream of the keynote?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

IS there a live stream of the keynote?

If you're a journalist in London.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    i want a comparison of phones sold

not of phones shipped by manufacturer. we should all know that means nothing now days.

ask HP...