Sales of Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion hit 6M, 80% more than Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday revealed that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is its best-selling operating system yet, with sales having reached 6 million since it launched in July.

In fact, those sales are a whopping 80 percent increase over Lion's predecessor, Snow Leopard, Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook announced during his company's iPhone keynote.

Cook compared Lion to the launch of Microsoft's Windows 7, which he said took 20 weeks to reach 10 percent of the Windows install base. For Apple, Lion was in use by 10 percent of the Mac install base in just two weeks.

The CEO also touted that the Mac platform has grown by 23 percent since last year, easily outpacing the overall PC market's growth of just 4 percent. Cook also revealed that the MacBook Pro and iMac are the number one selling notebook and desktop in the U.S.

He also boasted about the success of the thin-and-light MacBook Air, which he said competitors have been attempting to copy on their own.

With the Mac platform having an install base of 58 million users worldwide, Cook said there is a great deal of room for growth for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Best OS I've ever used in terms of usability, it's just not as bulletproof as Snow Leopard was.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Best OS I've ever used in terms of usability, it's just not as bulletproof as Snow Leopard was.

Lion is a complete disaster from a security standpoint with holes big enough to sail an aircraft carrier through. Every Lion user is a victim waiting to be exploited.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    So, according to the numbers in the article, they sold 5,800,000 copies of Lion in the first 2 weeks and then a further 200,000 in the last 8 weeks.

So Lion is unlikely to make it to 20% of the installed base (as it will take more than 2 years).

Is that correct? This doesn?t sound right to me.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Lion is a complete disaster from a security standpoint with holes big enough to sail an aircraft carrier through. Every Lion user is a victim waiting to be exploited.

So exploit me, then. I've been waiting over twenty years, I can wait a while longer.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Pity Lion isn't very good, isn't it?

The problem is, Snow Leopard was extremely refined and all the pieces worked well to provide a good user experience. Lion just seems fragmentary. Some of the gestures don't quite work (show desktop), mission control becomes a mess with lots of open apps and since the OS encourages you to have lots of apps open, this is a problem. Launchpad has no way or getting an overview of the apps and organising them. It all has to be done in situ, which is a bore. 10.7.1 seems beset by huge bugs. The design principles that brought consistency and simplicity seems to have been thrown away in favour of the arbitrary import of iPhone concepts that don't belong there. Lion is beginning to annoy me in the way Windows annoys me. The OS should never bully the user, and Lion is on the way to doing that. If it actually added up to more than a few fragmentary parts that don't really add up to an upgrade perhaps I wouldn't mind.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Unmitigated FUD. Absolute baloney.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Apple destroyed OS X IMO with its janky "Versions" debacle. Removing "Save" and "Save As" from the File menu makes Lion the most retarded version of OS X in history.

If Apple doesn't put File save features back in OS X I predict it will lose a major percentage of the share it picked up since Leopard... Deservedly so!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Removing "Save" and "Save As" from the File menu makes Lion the most retarded version of OS X in history.

Believing that is the most foolish thing I've read today. And today was "Durr, The 6th Model Of iPhone Will Be The iPhone 5. Day".

Quote:

If Apple doesn't put File save features back in OS X I predict it will lose a major percentage of the share it picked up since Leopard... Deservedly so!

Except they won't. And it isn't going to lose marketshare. As evidenced by the massive sales it has already experienced.

Maybe, just MAYBE, you're completely and utterly wrong and should PROBABLY reassess the way you work with stuff.

Here's the equivalent of how you want things to be:

You're physically writing on a piece of paper. You walk away from the piece of paper. Now it's completely blank. Oh, no! You forgot to save what you wrote! You'll have to do it all over again. If only what you, as a user of the piece of paper, wasn't considered completely worthless and expendable BY the piece of paper itself!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I wonder if new mac sales figures are included in the number of Lion licenses reported.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Believing that is the most foolish thing I've read today. And today was "Durr, The 6th Model Of iPhone Will Be The iPhone 5. Day".

Except they won't. And it isn't going to lose marketshare. As evidenced by the massive sales it has already experienced.

Maybe, just MAYBE, you're completely and utterly wrong and should PROBABLY reassess the way you work with stuff.

Here's the equivalent of how you want things to be:

You're physically writing on a piece of paper. You walk away from the piece of paper. Now it's completely blank. Oh, no! You forgot to save what you wrote! You'll have to do it all over again. If only what you, as a user of the piece of paper, wasn't considered completely worthless and expendable BY the piece of paper itself!

Apple has reinvented the wheel and it is square. If they want to improve on the age-old save paradigm fine - augment it. But don't remove a computing paradigm that has existed since time immemorial.

I give Lion a D- and consider it lamer, in effect, than Window ME and Vista combined. It is Cupertino Edsel!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

But don't remove a computing paradigm that has existed since time immemorial.

Except it hasn't.

You'd be the one to give Mac OS 1.0 a D- because it started using a GUI and a mouse, removing a "computing paradigm that has existed since time immemorial".
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except it hasn't.

You'd be the one to give Mac OS 1.0 a D- because it started using a GUI and a mouse, removing a "computing paradigm that has existed since time immemorial".

Give me some credit, I used a mouse with DOS 3. Because I'm an Apple fan, not fanboy, who can see Lion's rough misguided edges and succicntly identity them, no need for ad hominem attacks brutha.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Unmitigated FUD. Absolute baloney.

Tell that to the folks at rixstep.com.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdeguzman View Post

I'm not yet a Mac OS X user but I'm planning to buy one.

I am a videographer who uses a PC

Some of my friends who are using a Mac told me that it's good to use a Mac for video editing.

I would like to confirm if I could use it on my job as a videographer.

It's no better or worse than any other platform. The software just tends to be better.

Like Final Cu? oh.

Oh, wait, you're migrating to OS X so it's not like you have to relearn Final Cut Pro X from Final Cut Studio 3 or anything. You'll be fine.

Yeah, Final Cut Pro is great. Get past the shortcomings of the current version and it'll be even greater.