Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 641
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

a brick by definition isn't shiny...

try not to contradict yourself when being a smart ass.

Also try not to be so ironic when trying to diss a competing product to a product that you like.

Also Android brick? what is this 2008-9?

They are all 'fatter' than the iPhone, so yeah, bricks.
  • Reply 42 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

I was hoping for something a little bit amazing. To me this is just another iphone 4 with beefed up specs. Just like the Droid line of Android phones. I don't know if I want to get this or the Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint). It seems like every feature they're talking about is already implemented in Android. And no I'm not an Android Fan Boy..I'm a smartphone fan boy.

If you're in the market for a new phone I'd suggest waiting at least until we hear more about the Nexus Prime...

but if you get an iPhone 4S you made a good decision regardless as it sounds simply amazing on its own laurels and with the way Apple works hardware and software it'll feel newer than it is even when it's old (like the 4 still feels like a brand new phone comparatively)
  • Reply 43 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

[/B]

and resting on your laurels is a good way to get passed.

spot on
  • Reply 44 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

They are all 'fatter' than the iPhone, so yeah, bricks.

lol...

Hallie Berry is "fatter" than Scarlett Johansen so yea, whale.

fail logic is fail.
  • Reply 45 of 641
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

a brick by definition isn't shiny...

try not to contradict yourself when being a smart ass.

Also try not to be so ironic when trying to diss a competing product to a product that you like.

Also Android brick? what is this 2008-9?

Considering Apple just squeezed a world phone, 8MP 1080p video and a voice assistant into a package which is still thinner than any android handset I guess that makes android phones all fat bricks.
  • Reply 46 of 641
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Well, pricing is still set to be talked about. Maybe this fail of a phone will only be $399 out of contract. Then it might be appetizing again, for no other reason.

edit: nevermind. $199 cheapest on 16GB. "64GB iPhone finally". REALLY? You can get infinite on Android, and we are supposed to be thrilled with 64GB? I thought iCloud was supposed to make the need for phone space moot anyways.
  • Reply 47 of 641
    This phone is obsolete on arrival.

8 mpx, face recognition, voice command, notifications, "4G-like"?

Wow. All of these was available on HTC EVO 4G 1.5 years ago
  • Reply 48 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

and resting on your laurels is a good way to get passed.

Agreed. But they're not.

Down the road it would be nice to see gradual and elegant implementations of other hardware features (e.g. local transmission features) but at this point it is moving on to smaller stuff. Software is where we're going to start seeing the biggest advancements. I feel like the iPhone 4S could have had a touch more oomph, but it's a great iteration in the series.

Just my opinion, of course. I suppose most folks (aside from those who explicitly want a certain feature, like a larger screen) who are disappointed will be so because they subconsciously wanted something which looked different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Edge-to-edge screen does not necessarily mean a brick in your pocket. That is a bit exaggerated. They could simply slightly increase the screen size while maintaining the current resolution and form factor. Just reduce the white space. That would have been a sexy change.

If you read what I wrote you would have noticed that I addressed this. It would have been viable, with the drawback of losing Apple's definition of a 'Retina' display. I think it is a feature that I would have appreciated, though there are also some technical hurdles to overcome as well. It is something that might be great to explore next time around since it looks like they may have missed it this time. I think the extra size would be worth the slight reduction in resolution.
  • Reply 49 of 641
    They announced a 64GB version... that may.. just may be enough to get me to buy... I been wanting 64GB for 2 years now... seems I gots some thinking to do.
  • Reply 50 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Considering Apple just squeezed a world phone, 8MP 1080p video and a voice assistant into a package which is still thinner than any android handset I guess that makes android phones all fat bricks.

for one, you brought Android into this discussion for unknown reasons...

for two....no, no it doesn't.

stop making stupid arguments.
  • Reply 51 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

They announced a 64GB version... that may.. just may be enough to get me to buy... I been wanting 64GB for 2 years now... seems I gots some thinking to do.

That was my biggest letdown last year and if not for iCloud I'd be all over it this time around. I'm not quite sure how much I'll need or want the 64 GBs if I make use of the online storage. I've got some thinking about that as well. Also not 100% on upgrading from the iPhone 4, either.
  • Reply 52 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

This phone is obsolete on arrival.

8 mpx, face recognition, voice command, notifications, "4G-like"?

Wow. All of these was available on HTC EVO 4G 1.5 years ago

And how well is the HTC selling?
  • Reply 53 of 641
    does anybody how much the 4s has? i am guess it's the same since they did not mention it.
  • Reply 54 of 641
    bad move for apple
  • Reply 55 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

That was my biggest letdown last year and if not for iCloud I'd be all over it this time around. I'm not quite sure how much I'll need or want the 64 GBs if I make use of the online storage. I've got some thinking about that as well. Also not 100% on upgrading from the iPhone 4, either.

If I was you (obviously am not) I'd hold onto the iP4 another year. This is a great update, but not that radically different from the 4 especially since most of everything is an OS upgrade not hardware. I'm on a 3GS so for me this would be a major upgrade for hardware and OS... my decision thinking starts... now!
  • Reply 56 of 641
    If Google were a more aggressive company they COULD take this time to make ICS and the Nexus Prime a bigger event than this lackluster event (my favorite part was the Siri part...that's some future ish right there and imagine it integrated with allll Apple products??? WOW...the future is great and we are here)

But it's going to fly under the radar and we are going to get stupid commercials from Samsung and Verizon...boooooo
  • Reply 57 of 641
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Kind of a lame update. Siri looks like it could be cool, but it's going to be released as a beta. I doubt it will be a real selling feature until the next iteration of iPhone.

Better camera is a good thing, but not enough to make me upgrade. Same with the A5. Nice, but I don't think needed for my usage.

I'll hold out for an LTE iPhone with a payment ability.
  • Reply 58 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If I was you (obviously am not) I'd hold onto the iP4 another year. This is a great update, but not that radically different from the 4 especially since most of everything is an OS upgrade not hardware. I'm on a 3GS so for me this would be a major upgrade for hardware and OS... my decision thinking starts... now!

Agreed...and if I were on a 3GS I most definitely would get the iP4S...without a doubt.

from a 4? eh...I could wait.
  • Reply 59 of 641
    I'm happy as hell. I just want a phone that works really well. Glad I waited for the A5 chip. Pre-order here I come.
  • Reply 60 of 641
    guavaguava Posts: 13member
    Sobbing...

And walking to the nearest Apple store for the 4S.

At least they could have given us a bigger screen.