Sleep problems in 10.1

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My config: iBook 500, 384megs. Running 10.1.3 currently, but problems also occurred with 10.1.2.

Here is the situation. Sometimes when I close the iBook, it doesn't go to sleep. The screen goes black but the computer is still on. I've tried to ssh in without success (neither did my web or ftp servers). But the computer is still on and drawing power. Nothing I do will wake it up. The only solution is a forced reboot or holding down the power button to power it down.

Last night, I also experienced a similar problem without shutting the clamshell. It was supposed to be running all night, but this morning, I went to use it and the screen was black. I moved the mouse and I got an arrow cursor, but that was it. Nothing could be done but the reboot.

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting in X. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ps - I have USB overdrive installed but the problems preceded it. Also, the wacom drivers. Those are the only 2 kexts I've installed. I've also done the window buffering tweak that lots of people have talked about (moki over at MacNN posted the instructions).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    It could be network access...

or more likely.. detection of new devices on the USB bus.

Is that at all possible? Is your tablet plugged in? Why not try removing all USB devices before sleeping it and seeing if the problem goes away...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think it can happen without being connected to the network (at least I think it has in the past). That's a possibility. I'll try to see if it only occurs while hooked up to the network. I know it can occur without any USB devices hooked up, so I don't think it's that. The network activity is possible. Is there anyway to work that out?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Connection doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Nor USB devices or anything else. I've run into this too so you're not the only one. However, my iBook has only exhibited this behavior since I upgraded to 10.1.3. Sometimes, it just seems to go into a coma instead of sleep (no breathing light). Post back if you figure out what's wrong. I'm considering a full reinstall but just don't have time right now.