Apple posts video stream of iPhone 4S keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has posted video of Tuesday's special event to unveil the iPhone 4S, with Siri voice control technology, online for the public to see.

The full event can be viewed at Apple's website. Led by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, the keynote is 137 minutes long.

The biggest introduction at Tuesday's keynote was the new iPhone 4S, Apple's latest version of its best-selling smartphone. The iPhone 4S features the new A5 processor, a redesigned antenna, and an 8-megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p high-definition video.

The biggest addition to the new iPhone 4S is Siri, a voice recognition and control feature that allows users to use natural language to access information or accomplish tasks. For example, users can compose a text message, find a local restaurant, or make a call, all by using Siri.

The iPhone 4S is also a "world phone," meaning that one model is compatible with both CDMA networks, like Verizon, and GSM ones, like AT&T. Apple also added Sprint as a new major carrier partner in the U.S.

The iPhone 4S will be available for preorder starting on Oct. 7, and the handset will go on sale next Friday, Oct. 14 in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the U.K.

Apple also reduced the price of its entry-level 8GB iPod touch on Tuesday to $199, and added a new white model in addition to the existing black one. The company's iPod nano lineup also received a price drop, now costing $129 for the 8GB model and $149 for 16GB.

For a full, extensive rundown of all of the day's news, see AppleInsider's full coverage from the "Let's Talk iPhone" event, included below:

Apple's iPhone 4S coming Oct. 14 with Siri voice control and 4G-like speeds

iPhone 4 drops to $99 while Apple makes iPhone 3GS free with contract

Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199

Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features

Apple to release iOS & iCloud for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch on Oct. 12

Apple introduces AppleCare+ for iPhone covering accidental damage

Find My Friends allows location sharing with other iPhone users

Apple's Cards app for iOS allows users to mail custom greeting cards

Apple releases GM build of iOS 5, Mac OS X 10.7.2 to developers

Sales of Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 Lion top 6M, 80% more than Snow Leopard

iPod classic, iPod shuffle live on in Apple's holiday lineup

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Whats up with the empty, first row reserved seat? In honor of Steve?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Whats up with the empty, first row reserved seat? In honor of Steve?

I think so. I didn't see him mentioned anywhere and the Chairmain of the Board and former CEO should be at the event if health permits.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    No thanks. It was painful enough the first time around. I have no desire to relive the disappointment.

• Reply 4 of 46
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think so. I didn't see him mentioned anywhere and the Chairmain of the Board and former CEO should be at the event if health permits.

Only in your dreams.

This is business, not the Oscars.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

No thanks. It was painful enough the first time around. I have no desire to relive the disappointment.

In terms of the product, its a solid upgrade to a phone that's selling extremely well. There's a time to "kill your own children" but Apple's sell-though figures and projections must indicate that now is not the time.

You there is a distinct advantage to leverage R&D investment for as long as you can without hurting your market position or feature offerings, and short of a larger screen, there's not much else a new form factor would do other than 'be different-looking" In fact, as Apple's case with Samsung points out, more and more are following the iPhone form factor.

There had been some talk of a curved glass screen, which would certainly garner Apple a lot of attention - but is its use and carry function served best by this find of design?

You also have to be sensitive to forcing your base to consider new options and accessories too frequently, as the net cost for upgrading can be far more than the phone (cases, music docks, car adapters, etc.)

The 4s removes uncertainty from the marketplace, and people who were waiting to purchase can now go ahead knowing their getting the latest phone from Apple. Competitively, Apple has obviously analyzed that whatever potential loss of clients they will experience because the 4s "was not different enough" will be substantively outweighed by overall sales growth and likely increased margins given the same form factor.

This is the phone more for new and migrating customers, and less so for existing 4 owners.

What has to settle out is how many of the neat iOS 5 features are fully available on the 4 vs the 4s - if Siri works just was well on the 4, well, its a free or nearly free feature boost for us 4 users, but not so great if Apple does hope to nudge some of us to new hardware.

My guess is an iPhone 5 will come in the June timeframe...

What was somewhat disappointing was the tenor of the event - Cook seemed unusually sluggish, and most of the other presenters also appear a little off kilter...maybe some nerves being the first event without Steve, and knowing the blogophere and rumor hype was exceeding the product they were launching...

One other point - I'm sure Apple thinks about how much money they can reasonably expect their customers to spend on their products in a given timeframe - perhaps there are some things coming in the next three to four months that will be a better fit for our upgrade budgets...
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Only in your dreams.

This is business, not the Oscars.

First row, aisle seat, a big reserved sign on it for the whole event, prominent in repeated shots of the audience. Even at the Oscars they fill seats with warms bodies when somebody goes to take a leak...

It seemed purposeful.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Sad but true.

• Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

First row, aisle seat, a big reserved sign on it for the whole event, prominent in repeated shots of the audience. Even at the Oscars they fill seats with warms bodies when somebody goes to take a leak...

It seemed purposeful.

Don't worry, I'm sure George Lucas could fix it for you if it would make you any happier.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

Don't worry, I'm sure George Lucas could fix it for you if it would make you any happier.

After the horrendous Star Wars Blu Ray release, I'd say no he couldn't!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

After the horrendous Star Wars Blu Ray release, I'd say no he couldn't!

But it's the biggest selling Blu-ray ever! Are u trolling Lucas?

But then again he might stick Jar Jar Binks in that seat.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Quote:

Sad but true.

Neither of you are even trying to hide your outright [insult] trolling anymore, are you?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Neither of you are even trying to hide your outright [insult] trolling anymore, are you?

We're just having some fun after an abysmally underwhelming day.

And what's on your agenda besides your sarcasm?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

We're just having some fun after an abysmally underwhelming day.

And what's on your agenda besides your sarcasm?

Stopping abject nonsense like this:

Quote:

abysmally underwhelming day.

from propagating.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    I don't think it was that bad. It's not what people thought it would be, but I never expected an LTE 4.5 inch 3D holographic display quad core A9 processor. I think the real delays were because of iCloud, iTunes Match and all those services.

I am impressed with the strong internal rebuilding with the same exterior. That's not too easy.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

from propagating.

Truth always wins in the end.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Have you ever noticed that after a long thread where posters make predictions about what or will not happen that there is never a reckoning? Well, I'd like to offer a modest correction to that.

Yesterday there was a story speculating about whether or not Steve would make an appearance at the iPhone announcement, either real or virtual. Strong opinions were offered on both sides. Rather than embarrass those who were wrong, I am posting the screen names of those who got it right:

TylerD

pmz

iKol

Rob55

Robin Huber

PaulMJohnson

Congratulations to me and the other winners!
  • Reply 17 of 46
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    At first glance at the 4s, nothing blows the doors off. But I think if you look at this more closely things change.

The advances - are they revolutionary or merely evolutionary? Is iCloud the most important battleground of today's digital world?

http://jmmxtech.wordpress.com/
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

At first glance at the 4s, nothing blows the doors off. But I think if you look at this more closely things change.

The advances - are they revolutionary or merely evolutionary? Is iCloud the most important battleground of today's digital world?

http://jmmxtech.wordpress.com/

The 4S does not have ownership of Apple's cloud- it certainly could have been released 4 months ago. Abysmally underwhelming day.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

from propagating.

Well then if that's the case- today reminded me of the day I anxiously awaited the opening of The Phantom Menace for months only to be rewarded with this:

• Reply 20 of 46
    1. This is not a pity-party thread for naive people disappointed when rumors were proved untrue today. Looks like a great phone and great software. I'll get one next month on Verizon.

2. Anybody else having trouble getting video from this feed? I just get audio. Latest Quicktime and everything. I just get a green screen.

Also: Wherever your disappointment stems from, the jump-the-shark metaphor is completely misused. Apple would have "jumped the shark" if they introduced a phone that emitted a lavender scent, was covered in Hypercolor fabric, and worked as a clothes iron, and came with a free snowboard.

If you think the phone is a failure, there are many appropriate metaphors for that. The Titanic is one. The Newton is another. The Spruce Goose. New Coke. Submarines with screen-doors. And there are plenty of "fail" graphics to choose from on the Internodes; just travel the series of pipes.