Theory: Apple ran into engineering issues with the real iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I believe Apple intended to release a true iPhone 5 with a new design in June, but ran into some engineering issues that forced them to revert to the old iPhone design. No, I don't have insider information, and I'm not basing this on any technical reason. Why do I think this then?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s

In the above video, at ~2:15, the image of the New York Times website on the phone screen shows a tennis player on red clay. Being a tennis fan, I know that this must have been during the 2011 French Open, which took place from May 22 to June 5. The WWDC 2011 where everyone had originally expected the announcement took place on June 6. Coincidence? This indicates to me that they intended to stick to their traditional new-iPhone-in-June time table, and even had the commercials ready to go, but unforeseen factors forced them to push the release back until now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotapresent View Post

I believe Apple intended to release a true iPhone 5 with a new design in June, but ran into some engineering issues that forced them to revert to the old iPhone design. No, I don't have insider information, and I'm not basing this on any technical reason. Why do I think this then?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s

In the above video, at ~2:15, the image of the New York Times website on the phone screen shows a tennis player on red clay. Being a tennis fan, I know that this must have been during the 2011 French Open, which took place from May 22 to June 5. The WWDC 2011 where everyone had originally expected the announcement took place on June 6. Coincidence? This indicates to me that they intended to stick to their traditional new-iPhone-in-June time table, and even had the commercials ready to go, but unforeseen factors forced them to push the release back until now.

The 4s is a new phone. Nearly every component has been upgraded. The fact that this didn't necessitate a new shell is a good thing for everyone that buys or sells accessories.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotapresent View Post

I believe Apple intended to release a true iPhone 5 with a new design in June

I believe there was a delay (and your detective work would help back this up) but the fact they made the 3GS shows this was no accident. Rather it shows a tick-tock trend like Intel (architecture change, die shrink).

This way they get more value out of the manufacturing. Next year will probably see a lower speed bump but a new design and then there's a shift to quad-core or something and it's just a 5S. If anything it eases the minds and wallets of people on 2 year contracts who can more easily prepare for a major change.