One-Year Into Your Contract? This Thread is for YOU!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I, like a handful of you no doubt, checked my upgrade eligibility and found that I could get a "reduced discount" upgrade. Now, I know some of you mid-cycle big spenders may get special treatment, or if you're on a family plan you can nab your poor wife/children's upgrade (like the ruddy thief you are!) but this is a question to the half-discount group:

Is anyone crazy enough to spend 400-500 bucks on a breathed-on iPhone 4? Especially if you've got an iPhone 4 already.

So, you can just answer the question (so we can compile a little data) or weigh in on the "fullness" of this update.

For my part, I'd say the jump to the iPhone 4 was worth a mid-contract upgrade (meaning, 400-500 bucks,) but I'm not even SLIGHTLY tempted to drop the cash on the 4S. I'll get a proper iPhone 5 when it arrives, and pay the typical 200 bucks or so.

In the unlikely event that someone IS going to pay the extra cash for the mid-contract upgrade... Explain yourself!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    achimachim Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I, like a handful of you no doubt, checked my upgrade eligibility and found that I could get a "reduced discount" upgrade. Now, I know some of you mid-cycle big spenders may get special treatment, or if you're on a family plan you can nab your poor wife/children's upgrade (like the ruddy thief you are!) but this is a question to the half-discount group:

Is anyone crazy enough to spend 400-500 bucks on a breathed-on iPhone 4? Especially if you've got an iPhone 4 already.

So, you can just answer the question (so we can compile a little data) or weigh in on the "fullness" of this update.

For my part, I'd say the jump to the iPhone 4 was worth a mid-contract upgrade (meaning, 400-500 bucks,) but I'm not even SLIGHTLY tempted to drop the cash on the 4S. I'll get a proper iPhone 5 when it arrives, and pay the typical $200 bucks or so.

In the unlikely event that someone IS going to pay the extra cash for the mid-contract upgrade... Explain yourself!

It looks like Apple hasn't meant the 4S to entice current iPhone 4 owners to switch/upgrade. Makes sense. It wouldn't have a positive effect on the installed base. Just a shift from one model to another.

With the 4S ? with its 200 new features, and, most important of all, a radically lower price ? Apple hopes to attract everybody who didn't buy the iPhone 4 yet and only need another little push. The 4S is that little push.

But the fact that the 'Find My iPhone' feature only works with iOS 4.2 and later sucks bigtime! When you have lost your iPhone incompatibility issues are decidely unhelpful and unsympathetic! I'll stay with Prey!

And the built-in cam's resolution may have increased, but the image ratio is still a very old-fashioned 4:3, harking back to CRT days, instead of 3:2, which is/was the standard image ratio for 35mm film and was adopted years ago as the ideal image ratio for dSLRs as well. Get with the program, Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    If you're an iPhone 4 owner, and you feel like this upgrade isn't compelling for you, that's because it's not meant for you. Most iPhone customers are on two year contracts. Apple's upgrade cycle of major release/evolutionary release reflects that. Most iPhone users upgrading to the 4S will be coming from the 3GS, just as most users upgrading to the 4 came from the 3G.

Also, there will never be any product from Apple named "iPhone 5."
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fireball1244 View Post

Also, there will never be any product from Apple named "iPhone 5."

I don't see any reason to assume that. What will they call the next one? IPhone 6? It may be the 6th gen, but Apple's naming system is not based on logic. It could be either, but 5 seems more likely.