Unreal Engine 3 Support for Adobe Flash Player - HTML5 left in dust?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UQiUP2Hd60Y

I'm sure you won't get as excited about this as us on the developer side, but still wanted to share this with all you apple fan boys <3

p.s. What it boils down to is not only an ability to play latest and future PC and console games in a browser but opens a door to simulators, VR, etc. pretty much anything that required a dedicated rig before. Although there have been some attempts in the past as well as limited 3d engines available, this is a full fledged integration blueprint made by epic games that others will soon follow. All made possible with new hardware acceleration options in Flash 11. So much for html greater then or equal to flash... See you on the other side

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelloWorld1 View Post

What it boils down to is not only an ability to play latest and future PC and console games in a browser

Except slower than a dedicated app and harder to generate revenue and not available on any device that Adobe chooses not to port their plugin to or chooses not to port it to very well.

There also obviously needs to be some repeated clarification about the issue of Apple not owning technologies like HTML5 and Thunderbolt. The conversation seems to go 'Haha, Apple fanbois suck it, Thunderbolt will fail vs USB 3'. Wait a few months. 'Hey we can get Thunderbolt for Windows, awesome. Bet it works better than on a Mac'.

This HTML 5 stuff has always been 'screw you Apple, HTML 5 won't beat Flash, we want all of the rich content online to be determined by a single company (Adobe) just so you won't have a monopoly on the web'.

Anyone in the world can make HTML 5 technology but you have to buy from Adobe to author Flash content - I don't know why people support that. The advantage they have is simply that they have a single direction to take their product and they can add functionality whenever they like but this is already the job of APIs like OpenGL and C/C++.

If the code is developed well enough, a new platform should merely be a recompile away.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see how much preloading has to be done in Flash for console-quality browser-based games (repeated pre-loading for when it crashes of course) and for every replay. Then we have people stealing the game source code or even byte-code to bypass the revenue-generating process.

Then there's the controls, which are hard enough with native APIs.

I don't see it immediately being a successful venture but it can improve on games like Farmville and who knows Apple may even support Flash one day - their only objection to it was that Adobe's efforts weren't good enough. Given that it has taken 3-4 years for Adobe to get anything working properly in the mobile space justifies their position.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelloWorld1 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UQiUP2Hd60Y

I'm sure you won't get as excited about this as us on the developer side, but still wanted to share this with all you apple fan boys <3

p.s. What it boils down to is not only an ability to play latest and future PC and console games in a browser but opens a door to simulators, VR, etc. pretty much anything that required a dedicated rig before. Although there have been some attempts in the past as well as limited 3d engines available, this is a full fledged integration blueprint made by epic games that others will soon follow. All made possible with new hardware acceleration options in Flash 11. So much for html greater then or equal to flash... See you on the other side

Sorry mate but Flash is a dead end. When Unreal Engine for iPad3 comes out we will have close to PS3 graphics. Playing games through the web browser is good for casual desktop or laptop use. It comes nowhere close consoles, and with the Apple A6, the iPad3, iPhone5 and AppleTV (hopefully) will truly be knocking right on the door of "console quality".

With my Xbox360 now, playing games on anything else is just sub-par, except for iPhone4S and iPad2 when I'm just mucking around. Flash? Unfortunately, that's really not where the future is at. Epic Games is so huge they can throw a lot of R&D at a whole lot of things, but just wait for the Apple A6 chip and what Epic develops for that. I'll say it a million times more. Apple is so close to killing off the PS3. It's just waiting.