I am screwed, my MP3 collection is gone!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I needed to clear space on my hard drive for my DV Movies and I trashed all of my MP3's thinking that the computer would recognize the iPod as mine and be able to play the music in iTunes off of the iPod...

I guess I am wrong..I dont know how to update my iPod now or get it to play from iTunes...What Do I Do??

Please help! :eek: :o

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Does it mount on the desktop? Can you double-click it and view its contents? Can you drag and drop your collection? I don't have an iPod, so I'm stabbing in the dark.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    This is one of Apple's concessions to the recording industry - you can't synchronize MP3s from your iPod to your Mac, the assumption being you "borrowed" the music from another source and don't own the CDs.

It's easy to fix, though. Download one of the shareware iPod apps (Go to <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">VersionTracker</a> and search for "iPod") and use it to transfer the MP3 files from your iPod back into your iTunes Music folder.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Download iPod master, <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12706&db=mac"; target="_blank">here</a>. It will let you do 2 things, one play the music right off your ipod, but its not iTunes. But more importanly it will let you make the invisable folders visable on the ipod, letting you just drag everything back over (but they will be scattered across weird folders called things like "F23") Also, you should first go to iTunes with the ipod pluged in and click on the ipod in hte track list. Then, click the iPOd button alond hte bottom. Click the "update manually" button. and your ipod should mount on the desktop.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Macintosh, here's what I do to have my music on my iPod but not on my Mac. After you plug the iPod in, you'll see a little button by the equalizer and other buttons down in the bottom of the iTunes window. Click on it and select "Update Manually" and you'll be able to use the iPod to play music and make playlists on it. You won't be able to put them back on your mac unless you do something like dogcow suggested. But you're screwed for now. Sorry.