Lack of iPhone 4S Apple Event feed triggers media meltdown

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An otherwise slick Apple Event was handicapped by the company's failure to broadcast its presentation live, resulting in traffic surges from a curious public that brought down many live blogs during the event and subsequently made portions of the company's site unavailable afterward.

Yesterday's "Let's Talk iPhone" media event was the first delivered by Tim Cook since being named Apple's new chief executive. As with the last few events handled by Steve Jobs, Cook deferred segments of the presentation to other senior vice presidents of Apple's executive team.

News about iOS 5 was delivered iPhone software lead Scott Forstall, Internet Software and Services head Eddie Cue presented iCloud and worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller outlined the new holiday lineup of iPods and the new iPhone 4S.

However, many who were interested to hear about Apple's new announcements found it difficult find a reliable live blog of the event, in part because Apple didn't publish its own live feed of the event. That sent curious throngs of Internet users to a handful of live blogs, most of which experienced at least some significant issues, if not being knocked offline entirely at times.

Down home-sized

It's not clear why Apple chose not to demonstrate its video streaming technology to host a live feed of the event, but it appears the company was hoping to narrow the number of media outlets capable of reporting its announcements. The company has purposely excluded Gizmodo bloggers from its events since that site obtained and reported on prototype hardware of the iPhone 4 last year.

Additionally, rather than hosting the event in San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts auditorium, where it has previously presented iPod and iPad events in recent years (a venue that seats about 750), Cook said Apple had chosen to invite select members of the media to its own, much smaller Town Hall auditorium at its Infinite Loop Campus in Cupertino, California, which seats around 200.

Cook told the media in attendance at Apple's small Town Hall auditorium that the event was "sort of like inviting you into our home." But the very small theater also forced the company to be even more selective about who it invited to its event, in addition to limiting the number of Apple employees able to watch Cook in action in his first keynote as CEO.

That may reflect the more reserved, Southern nature of Cook compared to the very direct California showmanship demonstrated throughout Jobs' career, or perhaps an effort by Cook to conservatively hit the ground running without trumpeting a marketing message louder than he could comfortably sustain.

Incidentally, in presenting plans to build Apple Campus 2, Jobs identified a 1,000 seat auditorium for hosting future Apple Events; until it gets built however, Apple will have to choose between very small presentations or events hosted outside of its local campus.

Homing in on downers

The more tightly refined guest list of journalists didn't seem to blunt efforts by the media to express their malaise about the latest Apple Event, which has appeared to greet every recent product unveiling by the company. Last year's announcement of the original iPad had many pundits complaining that the new tablet was "just a big iPod touch," while the iPad 2 event was dismissed as not being tremendous enough to entice upgrades.

Media attendees have also been quick to express their lack of satisfaction with new iPods, and there was great disappointment vented after Apple failed to introduce a new iPhone at its Worldwide Developer Conference this summer.

However, none of the media's negativity has prevented the company from reaching customers, who have snapped up iPods, iPads, iPhones and Macs in such numbers that Apple now owns 23 percent, nearly a quarter, of US PCs sold in retail stores, continues to dominate the maturing market for media players, owns virtually the entire tablet market, and continues to sell the first and second most popular smartphone models in America.

At the same time, Apple's refined methods of presenting new products and services, even if not earth shattering, are a tough act for competitors to follow. HP has stumbled in trying to debut products to the media, most spectacularly with the Slate PC and then the aborted webOS TouchPad. Palm itself similarly found it difficult to woo audiences, and then deliver on its promises, in the media spotlight.

Additionally, both Microsoft and Google have found it difficult to mimic Apple's presentation style, with Microsoft's big budget Zune, KIN and Windows Phone 7 announcements falling flat and Google's recent public unveilings beginning to draw skepticism after the high profile failures of Google Wave, Google Buzz, the Nexus One, Google TV and Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets.

Home-page down

But even Apple's own legendary savvy in marketing appeared to take a hit with the appearance of iPhone 4S. After most of the event's details slowly trickled out through handicapped live blogs and initial reports, a surge of traffic interested in perusing the details of new iPods and in particular the new iPhone 4S appeared to knock out availability of key portions of Apple's website for about 45 minutes yesterday.

Users on both desktop and mobile web browsers reported hitting "access denied" messages when accessing Apple.com, and particularly when navigating to the new content pages covering released hardware.

A report by PC Mag noted that Keynote Systems, a "provider of on-demand test and measurement products for mobile communications and internet performance," had reported "severe and intermittent performance issues" with Apple's corporate website, noting that the company's site was completely unavailable from some locations around the US.

After some initial hiccups, Apple's website profiling the new iPods, iPhone 4S, iOS 5, iCloud and Siri voice assistance returned to serving up a series of animated HTML5 pages hosting high quality videos profiling the new iPhone and related technologies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Apple has never broadcast their events live. Why did anyone expect them to now?
  • Reply 2 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Apple has never broadcast their events live. Why did anyone expect them to now?

E~xcept they have…
  • Reply 3 of 45
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

E~xcept they have?

Yep, I loved watching all the early live keynotes. It's a shame they stopped broadcasting them.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    This doesn't bode well for the cloud... If they can't even keep their own website up.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    well Apple.com may not hold up well under pressure, but hey, what do you expect on OSX servers? Maybe they should move it to Windows/SQL Azure along side iCloud in their new Microsoft powered data center! LOL
  • Reply 6 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I was watching Ars and Engadget and both were having major issues, in the end I think Engadget did a pretty good job considering and their photos were very nice, although Ars had faster captioning and comments, while they were up, but they were down for almost a half hour at one point.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

...but hey, what do you expect on ...

It's probably better to avoid posting drivel when you don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was watching Ars and Engadget and both were having major issues, in the end I think Engadget did a pretty good job considering and their photos were very nice, although Ars had faster captioning and comments, while they were up, but they were down for almost a half hour at one point.

Engadget was fantastic. With so many photos it was almost like watching a live video feed.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    It was a real bummer yesterday not to have a real time feed, how is it that the most market savvy company in the world, with unlimited assets and computer power not able to afford to demonstrate how its done right in the first place.....

Even worse, after suffering through numerous sites that were trying to do update reports by the minute and getting knocked off from time to time, when I got to the Apple stream when it was posted, it was stuttering and not doing smooth video....

Give me a break.... how can this be... with 80+ billions in the bank?????

The faithful can never get enough Apple juice.....
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Alright - this thread made me go to apple.com and watch some of the launch announcement - this is a press event, not a fan event liek mac world or a dev event like WWDC - so this must mean that the positive mac journalism is bought and paid for - press dont cheer at press conferences!

I never once heard the AP, NYT or ESPN guys roar with applaud when a superstar walks in after setting a new record or winning the Superbowl or something - The press dont cheer when the President walks to the podium and announces something,

How can I believe these guys are being fair in their analysis if their all cheering and whooping at the announcement?!?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Alright - this thread made me go to apple.com and watch some of the launch announcement - this is a press event, not a fan event liek mac world or a dev event like WWDC - so this must mean that the positive mac journalism is bought and paid for - press dont cheer at press conferences!

I never once heard the AP, NYT or ESPN guys roar with applaud when a superstar walks in after setting a new record or winning the Superbowl or something - The press dont cheer when the President walks to the podium and announces something,

How can I believe these guys are being fair in their analysis if their all cheering and whooping at the announcement?!?

Your first post here was so uninformed that i suspected, but now..... oh yeah, into the troll box with you!
  • Reply 12 of 45
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But even Apple's own legendary ineptitude in the server and enterprise markdts appeared to have been confirmed with the appearance of iPhone 4S. After most of the event's details slowly trickled out through handicapped live blogs and initial reports, a surge of traffic interested in perusing the details of new iPods and in particular the new iPhone 4S appeared to knock out availability of key portions of Apple's website for about 45 minutes yesterday.

Users on both desktop and mobile web browsers reported hitting "access denied" messages when accessing Apple.com, and particularly when navigating to the new content pages covering released hardware.

There. Fixed that for you.

But seriously, this was overall a good article. It was properly labeled a Feature, and contained scads of Dilgerisms. Very entertaining, and it provides food for further thought.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Your first post here was so uninformed that i suspected, but now..... oh yeah, into the troll box with you!

My first post was freindly ribbing, my second is a real question - wtf are the reporters cheering?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

My first post was freindly ribbing, my second is a real question - wtf are the reporters cheering?

There was less cheering going on at this iPhone 4S event than any iPhone introduction in recent memory.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Ya that was quite odd...maybe some of them were Apple VIPs? Probably veteran tech press that have followed Apple for a long time.

Side note - Ironically AppleInsider was affected by that same influx of traffic, freezing up the main and forum sites...time for a server upgrade?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

There was less cheering going on at this iPhone 4S event than any iPhone introduction in recent memory.

i guss this must be the first one ive watched other than the wwdc or macworld announcements...shocked that the reporters are cheering, or is it some staged "amen corner" thing?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Tried to follow on MacWorld, but they were a mess. If it weren't for AI I would have missed the whole thing. Kudos of keeping the flow going.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

E~xcept they have?

Have indeed... but not for several years. I, too, am not sure why people expected that to change. I doubt Apple will ever push anything live again - having a delay to edit footage before sending it to the masses is likely all too alluring.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    The whole point of not broadcasting the event is so that everyone has to learn about it through the mainstream media. This gives the media a huge incentive to show up, because they know they are going to get tons of traffic. Do you really think Apple is going to put up a live feed for the couple hundred thousand people who would actually watch it live, at the expense of being on the front page of every major newspaper and television show in the world?
  • Reply 20 of 45
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Steve Jobs is dead.