Lack of iPhone 4S Apple Event feed triggers media meltdown

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Apple has never broadcast their events live. Why did anyone expect them to now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Have indeed... but not for several years. I, too, am not sure why people expected that to change. I doubt Apple will ever push anything live again - having a delay to edit footage before sending it to the masses is likely all too alluring.

It's been a long time, but that ended maybe 6 or so years ago. You could get the satellite, channel and other info if you wanted to tune in directly via a big dish. I guess they didn't want even their minor flubs recorded for posterity. There are going to be mistakes for a 1+ hour presentation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I watched the whole event later that night because I knew most of the sites would be a mess. No big deal.

I started right away, and really didn't even notice. The stream stalled maybe three times, but picked up a minute later each time. For a 100 minute streamed event, sometimes that's about par for the course for my internet connection.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    From what I could tell, Twitter was the only system that did not crash at least once. Many bloggers attending the keynote switched to tweeting only once their sites went down.

What a mob!

This event clearly showed the value of a service like Twitter.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But even Apple's own legendary savvy in marketing appeared to take a hit with the appearance of iPhone 4S. After most of the event's details slowly trickled out through handicapped live blogs and initial reports, a surge of traffic interested in perusing the details of new iPods and in particular the new iPhone 4S appeared to knock out availability of key portions of Apple's website for about 45 minutes yesterday.

Users on both desktop and mobile web browsers reported hitting "access denied" messages when accessing Apple.com, and particularly when navigating to the new content pages covering released hardware.

Access Denied is not usually a sign of overwhelmed servers, more likely, updates in progress. If the servers were crashing or experiencing request saturation you would just get time outs, Server Not Found or maybe Server Busy or http Service Unavailable.

More likely they were just moving the new files into place and some of the directories needed to chmod-ed before the files could be accessed. HTML5 is very tedious to quickly publish since it is complicated and requires a lot of dependencies, not to mention that they were trying to JIT the entire planet's Apple presence.

The way people probe the servers in advance to find hidden content, they had to do it all at the last minute which likely caused the issues at Apple. The other live blogs were obviously overwhelmed.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Engadget was fantastic. With so many photos it was almost like watching a live video feed.

When I lost connection I tried in a different browser. For some reason that usually worked.

The blogger however is a bit snarky! The only time he got at all interested was the game demo.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    An overweening narcissistic sense of entitlement runs through American culture like mold through aged cheese, with far less pleasing results.

No doubt they're also enraged that Mr. Jobs' last breath wasn't webcast.