Recent Steve Jobs patent filing for dynamic icons shows inventive spirit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

So maybe they don't intend eliminating cds and dvds just yet.

It's typical for patents to be approved long after a feature has actually been put to use. This icon has existed in disc burning apps for quite some time on OS X.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Double click applies to opening applications, most buttons on apps are single click (such as printing or save). The idea here was that critical buttons that can have devastating results if clicked by accident would by more dynamic than just double clicking. First click actually changes the button from a disabled state to an enabled state. I know a few people who need this for the send button on e-mail.

When you design a UI these subtleties are critical to the overall user feel of the system. You can have the most technologically advanced OS in the world, but if the UI is crap then no one will want to use it. Nuance is critical to functionality in more ways than you know.

Ok, that makes a little more sense. I wasn't making the disconnect from desktop to app.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

troll.

No, I don't think so. It was just a little humorous quip, but today is not a good day for those types of remarks. Sure you can burn Blu-Rays on a Mac if you want to jump through hoops, but it is not natively supported and probably never will be especially in iTunes which is where the burn icon is currently displayed.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan.blanchard View Post

Isn't this exactly what iTunes has been doing for CD burning for a very long time?

As shown in this tutorial for iTunes 6.0.

Yes. This is a VERY old feature of iTunes disc burning. Possibly almost 10-years old. I wonder if it is still patentable after that long? Apparently I guess.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

troll.

right back at ya.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I'd say just poorly informed. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

we all bow down to your greatness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No, I don't think so. It was just a little humorous quip, but today is not a good day for those types of remarks. Sure you can burn Blu-Rays on a Mac if you want to jump through hoops, but it is not natively supported and probably never will be especially in iTunes which is where the burn icon is currently displayed.

indeed.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Give me a break, we were using tri-state buttons/icons in 1992 in windows 3.11.

State 1 - displays icon that releflects the operation

State 2 - displays icon that asks for confirmation

State 3 - displays icon that shows that the process is active

For examle, I wrote an app that acted like a dashboard and had an icon for shutting down the machine:

State 1: Icon looked like a lighted EXIT sign.

State 2: Icon flashed and became an EXIT sighn with a question mark.

State 3. Icon was greyed out

And this was MORE than 15 years ago.

Tri-state buttons have even been used on web pages more than 10 years. I created a page for managing users subscribed to a service years ago, and the "delete user" button was tri-state:

1. [ Delete User ]

2. [ <bold>Delete User?</bold> ] (reverted to state 1 if not clicked in 5 seconds)

3. [ <grey>Delete User</grey> ] (reverted to state 1 when operation was finished)

And yes, this was 8 to 10 years ago.

Yea, really inventive.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    This would be great on Samsung's new tablet.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Double click applies to opening applications, most buttons on apps are single click (such as printing or save). The idea here was that critical buttons that can have devastating results if clicked by accident would by more dynamic than just double clicking. First click actually changes the button from a disabled state to an enabled state. I know a few people who need this for the send button on e-mail.

I agree, this seems handy - so long as it's not used so pervasively that everyone gets used to "double tapping".

e.g., I agree it *could* be handy to have as a modification to an email "send" button - but in my experience when my company instituted an overlay asking "are you sure you want to reply all" every time you hit "reply all", people got so used to hitting enter (to select "yes") that it became reflexive ... and you'd wind up hitting enter before consciously registering that, No, Ooops, turns out I didn't want to "reply all" that time!
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jorgie View Post

Give me a break, we were using tri-state buttons/icons in 1992 in windows 3.11.

State 1 - displays icon that releflects the operation

State 2 - displays icon that asks for confirmation

State 3 - displays icon that shows that the process is active

For examle, I wrote an app that acted like a dashboard and had an icon for shutting down the machine:

Tri-state buttons have even been used on web pages more than 10 years. I created a page for managing users subscribed to a service years ago, and the "delete user" button was tri-state:

1. [ Delete User ]

2. [ <bold>Delete User?</bold> ] (reverted to state 1 if not clicked in 5 seconds)

3. [ <grey>Delete User</grey> ] (reverted to state 1 when operation was finished)

And yes, this was 8 to 10 years ago.

Yea, really inventive.

Damn, I thought there was a smiley face for whiny crying.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    It's the icon equivalent of that little glass cover they put over the red nuclear launch button (at least in movies) or the similar device on fighter jet joysticks.

I have no idea if or why that is patentable, but I appreciate that SPJ was a hands-on perfectionist who cared about little things that actually (collectively) mattered. Most of the advantages Macs have over Windows PCs are these subtle things that sound trivial if you discuss them in detail, but add up to a much more intuitive and pleasant user experience.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jorgie View Post

What did they shut down the Delphi insider forum?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree, this seems handy - so long as it's not used so pervasively that everyone gets used to "double tapping".

e.g., I agree it *could* be handy to have as a modification to an email "send" button - but in my experience when my company instituted an overlay asking "are you sure you want to reply all" every time you hit "reply all", people got so used to hitting enter (to select "yes") that it became reflexive ... and you'd wind up hitting enter before consciously registering that, No, Ooops, turns out I didn't want to "reply all" that time!

I agree this kind of setup should be used sparingly, software can be a pest. Sometimes it's necessary, but too many interruptions tend to water down the significance of the important ones.

For the email example, I think a more sensible route would be to hold it in the outbox for a set period of time, say one to five minutes, then send it without requesting confirmation. That gives you the time to think about your email without being pesky about it.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For the email example, I think a more sensible route would be to hold it in the outbox for a set period of time, say one to five minutes, then send it without requesting confirmation. That gives you the time to think about your email without being pesky about it.

You obviously aren't dealing with the sort of clients we have to deal with!

I think some of them would have a coronary if my emails were delayed 5 minutes... come to think of it, maybe that isn't such a bad idea...
  • Reply 35 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than the obvious fact that you can burn Blu-ray discs using OS X.

And (I'm finally glad to say) play Blu-ray discs too.

I have an external Lite-on BD drive, a 24" 3.06 intel core duo with 4gb and the trial download from www.macblurayplayer.com

I expected stutter but haven't had any issues as yet. Doesn't play everything but has played everything I have tried. Just out of beta and updated regularly.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

And (I'm finally glad to say) play Blu-ray discs too.

I have an external Lite-on BD drive, a 24" 3.06 intel core duo with 4gb and the trial download from www.macblurayplayer.com

I expected stutter but haven't had any issues as yet. Doesn't play everything but has played everything I have tried. Just out of beta and updated regularly.

If you don't want to pay for anything for playback, MakeMKV and VLC will do the same thing, albeit a touch convolutedly.

The best solution's just to rip the discs and rebuild them as a video file with HandBrake, but that's what I think.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

You obviously aren't dealing with the sort of clients we have to deal with!

I think some of them would have a coronary if my emails were delayed 5 minutes... come to think of it, maybe that isn't such a bad idea...

My idea of the concept would let the user decide how much delay, from zero to X minutes. I think one minute would work for me. I usually think of something I want to adjust five seconds after I click "send".

People having a cow over a five minute delay seems odd. Email is a medium in which you decide when you read it. It might be now, or it might be tomorrow.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Mustn't take the bait- (it's killing me) No, mustn't.

What bait? Blue ray? Hello, 90s called, they want their physical media back.

Forget f*n Blue ray, it was just a scheme of the content companies to sell you their catalog ONCE more, and to add even more idiotic DRM and protection measures this time.