Wall Street: Spirit & vision of Steve Jobs will live on at Apple

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Steve Jobs changed the world with his ideas, and those same principles make up the backbone of Apple, which is why Wall Street watchers believe the company will continue to innovate and succeed even after the passing of its iconic co-founder.

Reacting to the news that Jobs has died at the age of 56, analysts on Wall Street praised him as an inspiring leader who changed the world. But they also remain confident in the future of Apple as a company, even without Jobs around to guide his creation.

The optimism expressed by analysts has been shared so far by investors, as AAPL stock was down less than 1 percent on Thursday afternoon following the news that Jobs had passed.

Piper Jaffray

"Jobs inspired not only the many Apple products that created new categories and changed the way people live, work and play, but he inspired other technology leaders to do the same," analyst Gene Munster said. "All the while, Jobs was developing perhaps his greatest accomplishment, Apple itself.

"We believe that Jobs' legacy includes his many great inventions as well as those people who know lead Apple and will carry on his way of creating the future."

He believes that Jobs's final great act as CEO was grooming Tim Cook to be his successor. Munster said Cook is more than capable with what he called a "rare combination" of humility and motivation.

"While there may be concerns among investors as to whether or not Cook can continue Jobs' streak of innovation, we believe there is no better candidate to lead the company Jobs co-founded," he said. "And in many ways, it will be Jobs and his deeply rooted vision that will always guide Apple and its leaders."

Munster said he believes Cook will carry out a long-term roadmap that he and Jobs likely jointly established. He thinks that Apple's course for the next five years is probably already plotted internally.

Ticonderoga Securities

Analyst Brian White shared a similar sentiment, calling Apple itself a creation of Jobs that is built to "stand the test of time." He said that Jobs's presence will always be felt at the company and will inspire employees to innovate for many years to come.

"Steve Jobs' acceptance of nothing but the highest quality work has been thoroughly ingrained in the Apple culture during his tenure, creating a team that we believe will continue to thrive," White wrote in a note to investors.

He referenced the letter Jobs sent to the Apple board when he announced he was stepping down as CEO in August. In that letter, Jobs said that "Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it," and White said he agrees with that assessment.

"Clearly, there is no one like Steve Jobs in the tech world and Apple will never have another Steve Jobs at he helm, however, we believe he has created an incredibly talented team with Tim Cook as CEO that can lead Apple to continued success for many years to come," White said.

Sterne Agee

"Apple is his legacy just like Disney is Walt Disney's and GE for Thomas Edison," analyst Shaw Wu said of Jobs in a note filed on Thursday. "It is the culture of innovation, thinking different, risk taking, and execution that will live on."

Going forward, Wu believes that the greatest challenge for Apple will be maintaining the culture that Jobs instilled. But he believes that Cook, along with designer Jonathan Ive, iTunes and iAds chief Eddy Cue, iOS software leader Scott Forstall, marketing head Phil Schiller, Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, and Mac hardware executive Bob Mansfield represent a strong lineup at the company.

"We are buyers on potential weakness in AAPL shares as we believe the company has transformed itself into one of the key platforms of the future with iCloud and the App Store poised to benefit in the coming decade from a company that produced hot products," he said. "In the near-term, the stock may remain volatile as Tim Cook gains confidence from investors."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I have hoped that Apple would start a semi-independent skunk works along the lines of Bell Labs which was spawned by the old Bell Telephone. Much as this effort was to foster and continue the vision and inventiveness of its founder, Alexander Graham Bell, I can think of no better tribute than for Apple to found the Steve Jobs Institute and Lab dedicated to pushing the frontiers of the human-machine interface. A place where pure research could be done.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Also there is Pixar, which Jobs founded and still turning out great movies. I guess he left a good organization there too.

That's the legacy of the man. It will take the rest of the corporate world years to comprehend how he did things. You know he wasn't micro managing every animation scene over at Pixar too... No, he insisted on a certain organizational teamwork that obviously works very well. Good luck copying that. Sincerely, I wish companies would copy that. There might be more happy humans walking this earth.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Steve Jobs legacy will live on for many decades to come, Apple will continue to be the shaper and innovator of Tech. Jobs left us a great path to follow and it will enrich our daily lives through his vision.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have hoped that Apple would start a semi-independent skunk works along the lines of Bell Labs...

That's an idea. Maybe Apple's version of Xerox PARC or something. Jef Raskin (RIP as well) would like that.

Apple can continue without Steve obviously, but it is just not going to be the same. Steve was a visionary, charismatic leader. He WAS Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Quote:

I have hoped that Apple would start a semi-independent skunk works along the lines of Bell Labs which was spawned by the old Bell Telephone. Much as this effort was to foster and continue the vision and inventiveness of its founder, Alexander Graham Bell, I can think of no better tribute than for Apple to found the Steve Jobs Institute and Lab dedicated to pushing the frontiers of the human-machine interface. A place where pure research could be done.

This is, I think, somewhat at odds with Steve's believe that what you don't do is as important as what you do. I suspect there are already numerous skunkworks projects within Apple that we never hear about, and those are carefully winnowed. Apple University has probably codified this way of doing, and not doing things. If we start seeing big changes in the way Apple is run, it may be time to head for the exit.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

This is, I think, somewhat at odds with Steve's believe that what you don't do is as important as what you do. I suspect there are already numerous skunkworks projects within Apple that we never hear about, and those are carefully winnowed. Apple University has probably codified this way of doing, and not doing things. If we start seeing big changes in the way Apple is run, it may be time to head for the exit.

Agreed. Saying No is just as important as saying Yes. Steve told us so. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 24
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    It truly is sad- Apple will never be the same. And this is not trolling.

http://nyti.ms/pU9BFe
  • Reply 8 of 24
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 24
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    deleted... my mistake
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Well I can't wait to see the new blu ray drive available in all macs, headless low cost mini-tower mac, and full flash support in iOS devices
  • Reply 11 of 24
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Steve has left a huge company behind that works like a startup. As long as Apple keeps this course and is lead by those that put quality, user experience and things that just work ahead of me too products, half baked ideas and more is more products it will continue to lead the industry.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    For all of Steve's heroic efforts, I sometimes can't help but think what a mess the rest of us made of this world he escaped.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I can't help but wonder what happens to Steve's other roles in other enterprises: Pixar, Disney, all the stock he controls in Apple and the others? Will his heirs assume the power he exercised? Obviously he will be replaced on Boards, but his degrees of ownership carry a lot of weight. Curious as to who will wield it. I know so little about his family it's hard to judge what if anything they may do in this regard. I would love it if one of his kids would rise to the surface and show distinct Steve-like markings.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Yes in deed, his spirit and vision will live on.

Ford Motor has made it through the years. Apple will also make it.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

I can't help but wonder what happens to Steve's other roles in other enterprises: Pixar, Disney, all the stock he controls in Apple and the others? Will his heirs assume the power he exercised? Obviously he will be replaced on Boards, but his degrees of ownership carry a lot of weight. Curious as to who will wield it. I know so little about his family it's hard to judge what if anything they may do in this regard. I would love it if one of his kids would rise to the surface and show distinct Steve-like markings.

That is what I was thinking earlier today. Who gets his 8 Bil worth estate. Probably his wife and kids I am guess. Also, what will whoever gets it do with it? Sell? Keep? Etc...a lot of questions.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The tech world feels adrift right now. The one person who could see the future and take us there is gone. But Steve has left a great team of innovators to continue his legacy so I am hoping for the best.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

I agree 100%.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You have to ask? His wife is already on several non-profits and knowing Steve he's had his estate planned out for over a decade with Laurene overseeing all of it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Yes in deed, his spirit and vision will live on.

Ford Motor has made it through the years. Apple will also make it.

It takes a strong leader with some really well thought-out ideas, the strength of character to stick with their ideas and the ability to bend others to his or her will to duplicate what Jobs has done. And not everyone is going to have that. However, I've read that Steve was concerned about making sure that Apple could sustain its momentum without him and had planned for this day for the last several years. There are rumors about an Apple University program headed by Joel Podolny specifically to keep Apple's future leaders in tune with Jobs' vision, and the company's successful formula. I hope it succeeds: I for one, look forward to new designs, new products, and new ideas from the company.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Fabulous idea.

I have thought the same for many years now. The world needs another Bell Labs, and where better than at Apple?

I am also very curious to see what Jobs' plans/instructions are with his considerable wealth.