Steve Jobs memorial at Apple's Fifth Ave store continues to grow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Visitors continue to mourn the loss of Steve Jobs at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, showing their respects with hundreds of yellow Post-it notes and apples.

The makeshift memorial has grown since it was announced Wednesday evening that Jobs passed away at the age of 56. Since then, fans have taken to placing Post-it notes on the gray wall outside the under-construction storefront.

The notes -- hundreds of them -- are a recent addition to the site, which began with a collection of flowers and apples on the marble steps in front of the Fifth Avenue store. That collection has continued to grow, as have the crowds, as people continue to come and pay their respects at what is Apple's East Coast hub.

The glass cube that serves as the entrance of the store is still under construction, and is expected to be completed in the coming weeks. Apple is spending $6.7 million to replace the previous design of 90 panes of glass with 15 larger ones for a cleaner and simpler look.

The glass cube is of particular significance in the lore of Jobs, as the original structure was personally designed by the Apple co-founder. Jobs even paid for the 32-foot cube himself, and was the owner of the structure.

The store has become one of the most photographed landmarks in all of New York since it first opened in 2006. The heavily-trafficked retail space is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Below are pictures of the growing memorial as it was seen Friday afternoon. Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ryan for the pictures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Please Post your Tribute photos, videos, etc. about Steve.

Remembering Steve Jobs

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133651
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    See you at the mother ship Steve.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    They should use the original glass cube as a memorial for Steve in Cupertino. You could go inside it and it could be a quiet place where you could pay respect. I know SJ owns the original cube but I think he would approve.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Man those apples are going to stink in few days. And imagine the bees!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mayb2mayb2 Posts: 3member
    Considering the very recent 5th Ave remodel. Steve built his own Shrine and Memorial. Where of course all can come and pay their respects.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thinine View Post

Man those apples are going to stink in few days. And imagine the bees!

The NYC rats will get them first. The circle of life.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

They should use the original glass cube as a memorial for Steve in Cupertino. You could go inside it and it could be a quiet place where you could pay respect. I know SJ owns the original cube but I think he would approve.

Except you'd suffocate and/or bake in it. In NY it was located in the shadows of office buildings and fully ventilated from below.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    i wonder if they will put a memorial of Steve in the store while its being revamped

just amazing the response
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The article linked below really irritates me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...06-501465.html
  • Reply 10 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The article linked below really irritates me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...06-501465.html

Well, then you should head on over to the political section, because I already started a thread on that yesterday.

I said that they should be banned from protesting, as it's a public disturbance, but apparently other people there disagree with me and think that it's perfectly fine that they show up at Steve Job's funeral.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

I was thinking similarly, but wondered if Steve may have planed it an entrance to some form a mausoleum. It would be very Steve if it were the case.

Also, this removal of the old cube and building of this new cube satisfies the terms of this agreement with the building owner at that site. The building owner wanted the cube if Apple left after their lease and Steve said he wanted it, replacing the original one was the alternative that they settled on.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, then you should head on over to the political section, because I already started a thread on that yesterday.

I said that they should be banned from protesting, as it's a public disturbance, but apparently other people there disagree with me and think that it's perfectly fine that they show up at Steve Job's funeral.

Let loose Anonymous or some of the other hackers on Westboro and its parishioners. That could be fun. They are one group that deserves to be targeted.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Let loose Anonymous or some of the other hackers on Westboro and its parishioners. That could be fun. They are one group that deserves to be targeted.

Too late for those losers!

I just read that Steve Jobs funeral is taking place today already! Now the Westboro degenerates won't be able to spread their hate around.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Add Realmac Software to the websites offering in memoriam to Steve.

/

/

/
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I am going up there this weekend.