Steve Jobs' private memorial service to be held today*

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two days after his passing on Wednesday, family and friends of Steve Jobs will gather at an undisclosed location to celebrate the life and grieve the death of the visionary Apple co-founder.

A person familiar with the matter has said that the funeral will be a small, intimate gathering, according to the Wall Street Journal. Neither Apple nor the Jobs family is planning a public memorial for the former Apple chief.Â*

Apple chief executive Tim Cook, in a note to employees, announced that the company would hold an event for staff to celebrate the life of Jobs in the near future. Â*

"Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple," Cook wrote. "We are planning a celebration of Steve's extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon."Â*

In lieu of an official memorial, the public has turned the company's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York, into a makeshift site of remembrance. Flowers, apples and hundreds of yellow post-it notes now adorn the protective barriers surrounding the construction area of the iconic glass cube that serves as the store's entrance.Â*

The New York site is not the only location to see visitors paying tribute to Jobs, as Apple stores around the world have become impromptu memorials.Â*

A makeshift memorial for Jobs in front of the Michigan Avenue Apple store in Chicago | Source: WBEZ Chicago

Apple memorialized Jobs on the homepage of their website, Wednesday, with a portrait of the former CEO, and the words "Steve Jobs 1955-2011."Â*

"We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much," Cook wrote.Â*

Apple also provided an email address to which well-wishers can send their messages, stories and condolences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple," Cook wrote.

I think Tim took a long long time composing that one sentence. So much could be read into it if one wanted to do that.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I left flowers at the Lincoln Park store in Chicago. There were a lot of apples and post it notes there. Absolutely incredibly feeling being there.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Please Post your Tribute photos, videos, etc. about Steve.

Remembering Steve Jobs

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133651
  • Reply 4 of 15
    In the Buddhist tradition, the ceremonies are generally held (the body can be buried or cremated, unlike in Hinduism in which the body must be cremated) within 72 hours of passing (24 hours in Hinduism).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    I'm not sure if Steve would have been inclined to abide strict religious procedures by the letter. That didn't seem like his style. While he described himself as a Buddhist, he probably took an organic, fluid, and personal interpretation to heart, not something formally based in Buddhist doctrine.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I'm not sure if Steve would have been inclined to abide strict religious procedures by the letter. That didn't seem like his style. While he described himself as a Buddhist, he probably took an organic, fluid, and personal interpretation to heart, not something based in Buddhist formality.

His views were more a blend of philosophies from several Eastern Philosophies. He was not a staunch follower of any one philosophy, but he definitely abhorred Dogma--another view I shared before knowing him.

We never set aside time for any one type of holiday. During our Christmas parties it was a collage of traditions on display.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Well, that makes sense. Eastern philosophies are often intertwined and the notion of Steve following one particular school (and thus narrow-minded dogma) rings false. He would have the sense to see the larger picture yet be mindful to stay in the present.

If the doctrine of one school said you needed to be cremated in 24 hours, and some other school said 72 hours or a week or whatever, I don't think Steve would have blindly followed such dogma. After all, he was the guy who chose his own path, not someone following the instructions written by some old guy with a long white beard who has been dead for centuries.

Formal religious doctrine is about control. Steve was about being choosing your own destiny, one day at a time.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I think souls travel after they leave a physical body. I wonder what new body SJ's soul will end up in. Imagine - some new kid out there, at any time, could be SJ. Just an interesting thought. RIP and travel well, SJ.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    He died, that's it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    At least those sick haters from Westboro Baptist didn't have the chance to picket his funeral. One thing that made my blood boil was seeing a comment from a religious supremacist bemoaning about Steve not knowing Jesus, and thus was condemned to an imaginary dungeon of eternal hell.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    It disgusts me when overtly religious people assume somebody doesn't know Jesus....I think Steve actually did....you don't have to be a weirdo to know Jesus.....but its unfortunate that those who publicize their faith for Jesus are often the most estranged.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 13 of 15
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

He died, that's it.

This is a cultural difference between the US and UK (and Australia/NZ too, I think). It's an odd euphemism to use when one isn't really necessary. The death of someone you care about is desperately sad and painful no matter how you describe it. Passed Away or Passed just seem like very strange terms to use to me - almost like trying to pretend they haven't died at all. Al least, that how it seems to someone from across the pond.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Anyone know how iCoffin, iTomestone or iUrn would be? The iHouse may never been completed that much I know.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

At least those sick haters from Westboro Baptist didn't have the chance to picket his funeral. One thing that made my blood boil was seeing a comment from a religious supremacist bemoaning about Steve not knowing Jesus, and thus was condemned to an imaginary dungeon of eternal hell.

Yeah, I think Westboro Baptist are pretty sick picketing the funerals they do anyway, I really hope they don't get anywhere near Steve. I don't believe in one true wayism and I have a hard time believing that people who believe in a religion that doesn't' even believe in a hell can end up0 there just cuz they don't think Jesus was the dude