As iPhone 4S sets records, Apple's legacy models show strong sales too

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The most fascinating thing about the entire keynote was Siri IMO....and that game's graphics.

Siri yes. Graphics - hard to say without any head-to-head comparison. I personally think they should've picked a different demo. You could see a bit of jitter in the graphics in a couple of the game scenes. It's to be expected for a smartphone but, still, one would want a totally smooth demo for a keynote.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Wouldn't taxes be the same regardless of carrier?

NOT the surcharges. Surcharges are NOT enforceable as in they're not goverment taxes. They are just fees that , say, Sprint wants to collect from you to help with "costs".
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:

Siri yes. Graphics - hard to say without any head-to-head comparison. I personally think they should've picked a different demo. You could see a bit of jitter in the graphics in a couple of the game scenes. It's to be expected for a smartphone but, still, one would want a totally smooth demo for a keynote.

The whole keynote felt sloppy IMO...
  • Reply 64 of 80
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

She can drop $1,000 per year on a Verizon/AT&T contract but can't afford the $200+ deposit on the phone?

Not everyone pays $1k a year for service. Moms are usually on family plans with their adult children who pays the bill for them. That's the case with my own mother. I have 4 lines on my family account with 3 iphones. My mom is still using the dumb phone though. If I were to upgrade her phone to a smartphone, it'd only cost $15 more a month for data.

If I divide my annual bill by 4 phones, it comes out to about $500 per phone per year. Not too shabby at all. On the other hand, I spend $40+ per week on gas because I'm not willing to ride a bike everywhere I go.

The bottom-line, it's a privilege and we pay the prices for the services we get. Phones aren't the only life expense, it's merely just one of the many.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'm sure they all knew Steve was about to die any minute. Something like that can affect a presenter's enthusiasm, I would imagine, even if it was scripted and rehearsed.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

NOT the surcharges. Surcharges are NOT enforceable as in they're not goverment taxes. They are just fees that , say, Sprint wants to collect from you to help with "costs".

I get that; but I was commenting on someone complaining that Sprint's pricing is more than meets the eye in part because of taxes.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure they all knew Steve was about to die any minute. Something like that can affect a presenter's enthusiasm, I would imagine, even if it was scripted and rehearsed.

I think Tim Cook and Scott Forstall were their usual selves. IMO, Forstall is their best presenter. He does need to slow down a bit because he tries to squeeze in a lot of info. Otherwise, he is smooth and knows his stuff. He also exudes the same pride and passion that Steve Jobs did. That's understandable because he focuses on iOS, which is his baby.

Eddy Cue - this is really the first time he has had the floor for that long, I believe. I give him a "C".

I am repeating myself here - What was Phil Schiller looking at - a teleprompter on the floor? Flash cards? He didn't seem to know his script like others.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:

What was Phil Schiller looking at - a teleprompter on the floor?

Steve's empty seat.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    TOP SELLING PHONES - NOVEMBER 2011

(1) Apple iPhone 4S - 16 GB

(2) Apple iPhone 4S - 32 GB

(3) Apple iPhone 4 - 8 GB

(4) Apple iPhone 4S - 64 GB

(5) Apple iPhone 3GS

(6) Unspecified Android phone that looks like a deformed penis

(7) Unspecified inferior Android phone that is similar to 127 other Android phones out there

(8) Unspecified, already obsolete Nokia phone

(9) Another boring Android phone that is like every other Android phone

(10) Unspecified Nokia phone

• Reply 70 of 80
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

What iPhone plan is cheaper than that, regardless of minutes built up?

I'd love to finally get an iPhone but the cost of the phone isn't a factor at all compared to the crazy monthly costs. Since this last release I've been looking at no contract plans like the one from Virgin Mobile with unlimited data and text starting at $35 monthly with a basic android phone. Anyone using their service, or have a recommendation for a reasonably priced basic android phone (voice/text/basic web)?

I got fed up waiting on Sprint to get the iPhone and bought a contract-free Android from Virgin Mobile: the LG Optimus V (the same phone sold by Verizon and AT&T, I believe). It's no iPhone, but for my first smartphone and for just $25/month -- VM raised the monthly fee by $10/month this summer -- it's more than I need. For now. The LGOV isn't the best phone. It feels a bit cheap, is buggy and isn't in the same league as iOS devices. Hell, many apps on my iPod Touch work much, much better than on this middling Android phone. Although I have 300 minutes to use per month, I think I've averaged maybe 30/40 so far. I do text a lot more than in the past knowing it's included in the $25/month fee.

I am hopeful that my consulting business will pick up tremendously early next year and will probably need a better phone and the better services that come with it. The debate I'll have with myself is whether or not I'll wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get the iPhone 4S since no matter which, it'll be a big improvement over phone I currently have.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronn View Post

I got fed up waiting on Sprint to get the iPhone and bought a contract-free Android from Virgin Mobile: the LG Optimus V (the same phone sold by Verizon and AT&T, I believe). It's no iPhone, but for my first smartphone and for just $25/month -- VM raised the monthly fee by $10/month this summer -- it's more than I need. For now. The LGOV isn't the best phone. It feels a bit cheap, is buggy and isn't in the same league as iOS devices. Hell, many apps on my iPod Touch work much, much better than on this middling Android phone. Although I have 300 minutes to use per month, I think I've averaged maybe 30/40 so far. I do text a lot more than in the past knowing it's included in the $25/month fee.

I am hopeful that my consulting business will pick up tremendously early next year and will probably need a better phone and the better services that come with it. The debate I'll have with myself is whether or not I'll wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get the iPhone 4S since no matter which, it'll be a big improvement over phone I currently have.

I've been thinking about getting into consulting myself....but I, um, am still in school!
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:

I'd love to finally get an iPhone but the cost of the phone isn't a factor at all compared to the crazy monthly costs. Since this last release I've been looking at no contract plans like the one from Virgin Mobile with unlimited data and text starting at $35 monthly with a basic android phone. Anyone using their service, or have a recommendation for a reasonably priced basic android phone (voice/text/basic web)?

You won't find a better deal with Virgin Mobile's $35 plan, but you definitely get what you pay for. You'll only have 300 minutes (no unlimited mobile-to-mobile), you're relying solely on Sprint's network (no ability to roam onto Verizon if Sprint is weak in your area), and prices can change on month-to-month instead of a contract (Virgin upped their price from $25 to $35 for new customers and after you upgrade/change phones). So there are negatives to go this route.

However, I will say if you just need an internet connection on the go occasionally and don't need to talk a lot, Virgin Mobile's service may be a great option if your area has decent coverage. I've used the LG Optimus V and *love* that little phone. They recently introduced the Motorola Triumph, a poor man's Droid X, and a new LG and HTC phone recently. Stay *far* away from the Samsung Intercept, that thing is a piece of crap, but everything else looks great.

And hey, even if you do talk a lot, Virgin's unlimited talk/text/web is still $55, which is the bare minimum plan for AT&T and $15 less than the cheapest Verizon and Sprint plan.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Except they still aren't remotely affordable once you're paying for the two year contract, it's well over $2k once you consider the total cost of the phone. Over 24 months that $99 or $199 is only an extra 4 or 8 bucks a month, which is nothing compared to a monthly bill over $100. But I guess a lot of people don't bother to do the math.

My parents and in-laws are on my family plan which is the pretty basic 700 min one. $9.99 + $15 data plan x 12 = $300 / year if my parents wanted an iPhone instead of a feature phone. The cost delta is $180. They're stuck with 200MB but for email and light web surfing that's fine.

Actually, I just pay for it all anyway. Likewise for kids. You're going to be ponying up for a family plan anyway but $0 x 2 kids = $0 whereas $199 x 2 kids = $400.

This is where $0 iPhones are really helpful. While the data plans are a little more expensive than texting plans the delta's worth it and it doesn't annoy me as much.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Folks looking for a comparison of plans can look here (for normal plans, not pre-pay or flexplans):

"AT&T provides the cheapest path to an iPhone… until you add text messaging. The company’s decision to offer only a $20 all-or-nothing texting plan prices it out of cheapskate range pretty quickly, especially considering that even if you’re not sending any text messages, you can be charged for messages sent to you.

Verizon’s weakness is that its lowest-priced data plan starts at $30. You get more than enough data if you’re a typical user, though, as AT&T’s $15-per-month data plan only provides 200 megabytes to work with.

Sprint actually comes away looking pretty good here. If you can get past the fact that you’re facing a minimal monthly outlay of $80, the peace of mind you get with unlimited data and unlimited text messaging might be worth it. And if you really don’t want to have to worry about anything, you can avoid any and all overage charges with the $110 plan. AT&T and Verizon cost $25 and $60 more per month, respectively, for similar peace of mind, but even their plans aren’t truly unlimited when it comes to data overages."

http://technologizer.com/2011/10/10/...ns/#more-48809
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Thanks for the recommendations. The LG Optimus V looks like a decent option especially for the price ($112-129). With VM I can get unlimited data and text for $35. For two lines on ATT I'd be looking at 69+30+30=129, and that's for the skimpy 200 meg service. $59 more per month than two lines on VM, a savings of over $1400 over two years (seems like the real savings are if you get up to three or four lines on a family plan). I just can't justify spending that much more. Shame there aren't unlocked versions of the iPhone that run on other networks, that's what's going to finally bring in the cheapskates like myself.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

This same disconnect occurred for Pixar movies. Just prior to each new release, the "experts" would remind us all that Pixar was bound to produce a dud, as the "law of reversion to mean" is unbreakable.

What they failed to consider was that the law of reversion to mean doesn't actually exist.

Well, they were right with Cars 2...
  • Reply 77 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I've now successfully convinced several people looking to buy their first iPhone to get the 4S instead of a previous model for slightly cheaper upfront cost. The "I don't need this or that improved feature" doesn't really apply and those that are less technical can really benefit from Siri Assistant if it's half as good as their demo and ad suggest.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This persistent disconnect between the reality of consumers' embrace of Apple products and the fantasy of certain tech pundits who consistently diss Apple's new products is really extraordinary. At what point are these guys going to finally look themselves in the mirror and ask "how have I become so out of touch with reality and what must I do to understand real-world consumers?"

My guess is that for many of them, that point will never come. They will just become increasingly bitter, focusing their efforts to appeal to a shrinking audience of disgruntled IT workers and aging PC DIYers who are also totally out of touch with reality. Losers.

Totally spot on, and I've found that they mostly congregate around the Yahoo Finance message boards.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    How long before Samsung starts selling the original Galaxy S as a cheaper phone?
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well, they were right with Cars 2...

They were right that the movie was not great. But it still made a ton of money. A ton of it.