Apple releases iTunes 10.5 with iOS 5 wireless syncing, iTunes Match

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released iTunes 10.5 for both Mac and PC, bringing with it support for wirelessly syncing with devices running the soon-to-be-released iOS 5.

iTunes 10.5 is now available as a direct download from Apple. The company noted in the release notes that iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.

The full list of features, according to Apple, includes:

iTunes in the Cloud. iTunes now stores your music and TV purchases in iCloud and makes them available on your devices anywhere, any time, at no additional cost.

Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your PC and iOS devices.

Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music, TV, app, and book purchases again, at no additional cost. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.

Wi-Fi Syncing. Automatically sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes any time they're both on the same Wi-Fi network.

The release of iTunes 10.5 comes one day ahead of the public release of iOS 5 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Users will be required to upgrade to iTunes 10.5 before they can upgrade their portable device to iOS 5.

Developers were supplied with the gold master build of iOS 5 after Apple's media event to introduce the iPhone 4S last week. A software gold master is typically identical to the final software released to the public.

Not yet a part of iTunes 10.5 is the new iTunes Match service. iTunes Match is Apple's new $24.99-per-year service that will allow users to match up their personal library of songs with Apple's high-quality tracks available on iTunes. By paying for the subscription service, songs obtained through places other than the iTunes Music Store, such as from a ripped CD, will become authorized iTunes songs that can be re-downloaded on other devices through iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    Too lazy to follow the match link, so I'll pick the brains here.

So if I have all my CD's ripped, and I buy one year of itunes match, then will it download the matching itunes, and the following year I can cancel the itunes match and still have the higher quality matches?
  • Reply 2 of 70
    It's on Software Updates too.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

So if I have all my CD's ripped, and I buy one year of itunes match, then will it download the matching itunes, and the following year I can cancel the itunes match and still have the higher quality matches?

Short answer, yes. You would need to let iTunes Match do its thing, delete all the songs from your computer, then spend the time and bandwidth redownloading all the songs from iTunes Match. Once you do that, you could cancel, you'l just lose access to the songs from the cloud.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Can somebody tell me if it's build 132?
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Can somebody tell me if it's build 132?

According to About iTunes, it's build 141. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

I'll have to double-check, but you are paying for the cloud service. This means that if you have a ripped song in your iTunes, iTunes Match will find that song and make it available to your other cloud devices. You can then download that song to those devices. However... if you cancel your subscription, then your music is no longer stored in the cloud, meaning it's not available to your devices.

You'd have to read the fine print to see what this means for your original ripped music.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company noted in the release notes that iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.

Woah!
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Quote:

You will still have access to the tracks you've downloaded from iTunes match after your account expires. The only thing you lose is access to downloading the music from Match from computers and devices. If you have all of the files on your computer, they are yours to sync and do whatever with (they are just AAC files without DRM and with a tag saying they're downloaded from iCloud).

Also, I wanted to throw out that Apple is probably going to have a lot of hiccups with Match. Neither iOS not iTunes is "ready"; they both seem like they're getting there but not quite solid yet.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Having issues with mine. I downloaded through Software update and now itunes won't launch. I get message "this version of itunes is not properly configured". Any ideas?
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Neither iOS not iTunes is "ready"; they both seem like they're getting there but not quite solid yet.

Do you mean in terms of iTunes match or overall?
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Having issues with mine. I downloaded through Software update and now itunes won't launch. I get message "this version of itunes is not properly configured". Any ideas?

I suggest you grab the standalone installer at http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and reinstall.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    I assume that wireless sync works only to devices with iOS 5, right? So, those of us updating our iOS 4.3.x devices to iOS 5 tomorrow will need one last tethered sync.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I suggest you grab the standalone installer at http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and reinstall.

Been trying to, the page won't load completely in Safari, and I can't get the dl button to do it. Very odd. I'm guessing Apple is having some issues...

It also won't work in Firefox. I can get the button on the page that says "download itunes 10.5'" but nothing happens when I click on it. DL doesn't start.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    I am assuming that there will be a Lion update that will give an iCloud option under accounts in Address Book and iCal, for instance. Also an iCloud icon in System Preferences to sign up? Will iTunes sync with the iOS 5 device wirelessly but work similar to iOS 4 otherwise? Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Figured it out in Firefox. It was a script blocker extension that was the issue. I "allowed Apple.com" and it is now downloading.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

I assume that wireless sync works only to devices with iOS 5, right? So, those of us updating our iOS 4.3.x devices to iOS 5 tomorrow will need one last tethered sync.

yep. After you get iOS 5 on your devices you will have the choice of tethered or wireless syncing and data restoring. If I recall correctly if something goes south with the device to the point of needed a factory restore of the base software that still has to be tethered. But once you finish you can input your iCloud deets and continue off the wire
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Everything working ok here except for one big thing. My iPhone won't synch to it now It shows up on the sidebar and the sych indicator starts to move but then I get the beach ball and and "Application not responding". That will have me messed up for tomorrow's update if something doesn't change quick!
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Been trying to, the page won't load completely in Safari, and I can't get the dl button to do it. Very odd. I'm guessing Apple is having some issues...

It also won't work in Firefox. I can get the button on the page that says "download itunes 10.5'" but nothing happens when I click on it. DL doesn't start.

When is the last time you opened disk utility & ran a permissions repair, might give that a try.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Will do that. I got it to download from the site and it installed successfully, but it still hangs when trying to launch it. Does iTunes have any issues when 10.6 is booted in to the 64bit kernel? Mine is booted in 64bit mode, and itunes 10.3 worked fine.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n4uaj View Post

Everything working ok here except for one big thing. My iPhone won't synch to it now It shows up on the sidebar and the sych indicator starts to move but then I get the beach ball and and "Application not responding". That will have me messed up for tomorrow's update if something doesn't change quick!

OK I left it alone for a good 5 minutes or so and the sync started so I guess it had to think about it for a while