Apple TV gets AirPlay mirroring, Photo Stream, NHL and WSJ Live

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple released a software update for its second-generation Apple TV on Wednesday offering support for iOS 5 features like AirPlay mirroring and Photo Stream, along with new channels from content producers.

Version 4.4 of the device's software brings a host of new capabilities that leverage today's iOS 5 release and Mac software update, allowing users to access features from iCloud.

With the new software, Apple TV users can now view photos taken on their iOS devices through Photo Stream, an iCloud feature that uploads images to the cloud and pushes them to WiFi-connected Apple devices. AirPlay mirroring allows users to stream what's on their iPad 2 and iPhone 4S screens directly to an HDTV.

The update also includes Trailers, which Apple describes as an "all new way to browse" hundreds of the latest trailers, as well as Wall Street Journal Live and National Hockey League content.

The NHL channel comes with the ability to stream live games, and display highlights and scores, while WSJ Live offers access "up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis."

In addition to the new apps and iOS functionality, the update comes with support for subtitles in Netflix and three new slideshow themes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Very smart move by the NHL. I will now buy an Apple TV just for that. Even if it is only one season. Thanks Apple / NHL.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    So I'm now taking stabalized 1080P video with my new iPhone 4S but the Apple TV can't play it at full resolution because of it's weak sauce A4 CPU? Please, please, Apple. Will you please slide the A5 into the Apple TV and continue to work on content agreements? I have a first gen Apple TV and love it. But with all of these new content providers coming over I really want to upgrade.

Come on NFL. I've heard that insurance on Ferrari's is really expensive. Why don't you launch an aTV/iOS app. I cut the cable chord 2 years ago and love it. We're so close to getting to having everything available online. You know it's going to happen eventually. Don't say no. Everyone says no at first. Be original. Say yes!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    NHL game streams for a fee. Haven't looked but assuming the same pricing schedule as the iPad/iPod premium package - unless they now have a per-game PPV (which would be nice).
  • Reply 4 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Too bad I have to get my Internet from the cable company, although, my neighbor recently dropped his TV portion and I think he pays somewhere around $50 a month for Internet and phone and now gets his TV from Dish. I like the WSJ upgrade. Not really interested in hockey.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    LAME -- all we get is NHL? I want NFL... :roll eyes:

Where is the Apple TV App Store?! This is LONG overdue!!! \
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

So I'm now taking stabalized 1080P video with my new iPhone 4S but the Apple TV can't play it at full resolution because of it's weak sauce A4 CPU? Please, please, Apple. Will you please slide the A5 into the Apple TV and continue to work on content agreements? I have a first gen Apple TV and love it. But with all of these new content providers coming over I really want to upgrade.

I dare the average user to tell the difference between 720P. I'v tried comparing with Blu-Ray content and my eyes just can't see a difference. Very subtle at best. I know people will rip this opinion, but I'm, not alone in that thought. But yeah an updated Apple TV in general would be good.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

I dare the average user to tell the difference between 720P. I'v tried comparing with Blu-Ray content and my eyes just can't see a difference. Very subtle at best. I know people will rip this opinion, but I'm, not alone in that thought. But yeah an updated Apple TV in general would be good.

It depends a lot on the size of the screen.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Will HBO Go now stream?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    I hope this also updates Netflix to allow using it in Latinamerica! I hate to plug my laptop every time i want to see a movie.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Just for yucks I tried AppleTV with my iOS5 updated iPhone 4. It streamed a Rhianna video just fine, but Angry Birds would only stream audio. Guess you need the big processor on the 4S to get that.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Very USA-focussed update. Just updated my UK aTV and we seem to have got the WSJ app, but not the NHL one, strangely. Wonder why not the NHL when we have MLB?

Can't seem to find the Trailers, are they hidden away somewhere?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Too bad I have to get my Internet from the cable company, although, my neighbor recently dropped his TV portion and I think he pays somewhere around $50 a month for Internet and phone and now gets his TV from Dish. I like the WSJ upgrade. Not really interested in hockey.

Just tried the WSJ on ATV. Very good quality.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    We just bought an Apple TV (along with the latest AirPort Extreme router) last week, and it has been an absolute joy - the best $99 entertainment purchase we ever made (well, plus $8 a month for Netflix). The biggest problem I had was getting my old movies (which I created using iMovie HD 6) loaded at the correct resolution into iTunes. Importing them into iMovie 9 (which has more and better export choices, including Apple TV) didn't work for me, as it dropped lots of special effects and transitions. I ended up saving them as a QuickTime file using the Expert Settings choice, and setting the compressor quality to "Best."
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Does anyone know if these updates work in Canada? I mean, they'd better... how can you not stream hockey to Canada?!

Is it true you have to pay for the NHL games, though?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    I know it won't happen cuz for some reason (money I guess) the NFL only allows DirecTV access to all NFL games... but if Apple was able to add live NFL games to ATv I'd buy it immediately. Till then I'll wait for Apple TV3 or 4
  • Reply 16 of 51
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Ummm Apple? Whatever happened to "just works?"

I am now on my forth attempt to update my Apple TV...

My iPad 2 no problem but my iPhone is now a brick...
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

One of our Apple TVs went through fine, but the other took us 4 tries to update. It finally went through and both are working fine now.

$159 for a year of the NHL is a little steep for my tastes. That and after the MBL blacking out of games 4 hours drive away, I'm afraid I couldn't watch any games I would be interested in viewing.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just tried the WSJ on ATV. Very good quality.

The only trouble is, WSJ-tv is a bit lame.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

My iPad 2 no problem but my iPhone is now a brick...

Ive got 3 AppleTVs and yeah, it keeps failing. Woulda been nice if they dropped the GM for their devs so I could just push the code via USB.

Has to be all those 10.7.2 and iPhone/iPad, iTunes, iWork, dozens of iOS app updates, did I miss anything?

Gotta give them some credit though. Imagine if they did this on tomorrow or Friday when those iPhone start to land enmass.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple TV won't update for me. I tried resetting and restoring, I tried anything, it gets to 99% and fails.

Update was not successful.