Sprint won't offer iPhone 4S with unlocked micro-SIM card slot

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Contrary to initial reports, Sprint will not sell an unlocked micro-SIM version of Apple's iPhone 4S, forcing users to pay roaming fees when traveling abroad.

Earlier reports that Sprint users would be able to take advantage of an unlocked micro-SIM slot, allowing them to use international GSM chips to avoid roaming charges, were quashed by a Sprint representative, according to Ars Technica.

Confusion arose from early reports that both Sprint and Verizon's versions of the 4S would be unlocked.

In theory, an unlocked micro-SIM slot would allow customers to use pre-paid cards on networks outside the U.S., effectively bypassing Sprint's roaming charges. Service representatives have now denied that any such capability will be offered on the company's version of the new Apple handset.

Sprint said that iPhone 4S adopters will be able to roam internationally with the appropriate plan. Apple will launch an unlocked version of their popular device on November 5th, starting at $649, though it will only allow access to GSM networks within the U.S.

Verizon has yet to officially comment on their specific version of the device, however Michelle Mermelstein, a Sprint wireless device public relations representative, said that she believes the CDMA network's unit will work "in the same way."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:

Verizon has yet to officially comment on their specific version of the device

Screw all of you telecom morons.

The idea behind one physical device is that you worthless piles of slime don't get your own "versions".

This is abject nonsense.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The idea behind one physical device is that you worthless piles of slime don't get your own "versions".

This is abject nonsense.

I can't believe what i'm reading. I'm thinking about calling Sprint right now and canceling my order.

Does anyone know if this will be unlockable/jailbreakable??
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Does anyone know if this will be unlockable/jailbreakable??

Everything is. It just takes time.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Not sure why there's any confusion about this in the news media. From Apple's own website, if you seek information about an unlocked iPhone which is due in November, this is what they tell you:

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."
  • Reply 5 of 34
    REALLY!? Appleinsider you're re-re-reporting this when it's already been shown to be WRONG. The sprint rep thought they meant the sim card was physically locked in the phone, that's how stupid the rep was Ars spoke with. Engadget corrected this issue.

Sigh...macrumors, appleinsider, etc all just re-report each other.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/s...ock-for-intern
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Not sure why there's any confusion about this in the news media. From Apple's own website, if you seek information about an unlocked iPhone which is due in November, this is what they tell you:

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

There hasn't been any confusion about the unlocked version. But most assumed naively that the cdma versions would be able to take advantage of the micro-sim while abroad.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Why does Sprint have problems with massive customer bailing? Hmm think this has something to do with it. Sprint has a practice of causing potential customers and existing customers to run to another company. SPRINT SUCKS!!!!! AHHH THEY SUCK!!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    DUH! Telcos are going to loose big with iMessage and lost SMS revenue and they are simply greedy so it should be no surprise that they'd insist on maintaining their exorberant international roaming fees. On the plus side people who don't roam internationally can thank the others for the subsidy. If the telcos didn't have this they'd probably raise their normal rates. I doubt Verizon is gonna do any unlocking either.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will launch an unlocked version of their popular device on November 5th, starting at $649, though it will only allow access to GSM networks within the U.S.

This doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    shocker....

This is where TBell lumps Sprint in with the Verizon/AT&T collusion conspiracy.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

This is abject nonsense.

If you can create a better wireless telecom company... go do it yourself! Sounds like you'd have plenty of potential customers available.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Michelle Mermelstein, a Sprint wireless device public relations representative, said that she believes the CDMA network's [Verizon's] unit will work "in the same way."

Except MacWorld has a Verizon rep quoted as saying the opposite. Who are you going to believe has the right info about Verizon's policies, a Sprint public relations rep or a Verizon rep? (Ok, it's kind of a trick question, they may well both be wrong!)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1629...ld_phone_.html

Quote:

A Verizon spokesperson told me that this is Verizon?s standard policy for all world phones

As for...

Quote:

Verizon has yet to officially comment on their specific version of the device

Quote:

This is abject nonsense.

Except it wasn't a telecom moron who referenced Verizon's "specific version". It was the author or the AI story who said that. I don't have a problem with you calling someone a moron. Just try to call the right person the moron.

Think, then speak (type).
  • Reply 13 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If you can create a better wireless telecom company... go do it yourself! Sounds like you'd have plenty of potential customers available.

Check out http://www.yes.my ...They've got some ex-Sprint execs, ex-AOL staff (don't laugh ) and a number of other expats working in the region.

Mobile broadband at 2mbps-6mbps down sustained, 4G WiMax.

<doc>Permits for towers? Where we're going, we don't *need* permits...</doc>
  • Reply 14 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

This doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking it worded poorly. As I understand AT&T's unlocked iPhone 4S, you get an unlocked "world mode" iPhone that is imited to GSM (and AT&T's UMTS/3GSM) in the US since the CDMA chips will still be unusable. Of course, you'll be able to use those same GSM/UMTS(3GSM) bands around the world where applicable.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

There hasn't been any confusion about the unlocked version. But most assumed naively that the cdma versions would be able to take advantage of the micro-sim while abroad.

I feel there has been confusion in the media, because of delayed reports like this one. This could have been reported days ago, when the 4S was first available to order.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Except it wasn't a telecom moron who referenced Verizon's "specific version". It was the author or the AI story who said that. I don't have a problem with you calling someone a moron. Just try to call the right person the moron.

So? AppleInsider's the one who put the restriction on the Sprint and Verizon iPhones? How could it EVER be read in ANY situation that I'm calling anyone but the telecoms morons for THEIR actions.

Or maybe you're implying that AppleInsider IS the reason there are SIM locks on the CDMA iPhones.

• Reply 17 of 34
    well then it's settled. Verizon it is.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Sprint is CDMA. Where the f... do you think CDMA network exist abroad to have unlocked version of this POS?

70% of this world is GSM. Wake up!

In Europe and South/Middle America as well as Canada you can put CDMA phones in your...

That's why I keep T-Mobile and I might go AT&T (as a poor alternative). After all I can buy SIM starter in Europe in many grocery stores and have my phone working in minutes without roaming.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Sprint is CDMA. Where the f... do you think CDMA network exist abroad to have unlocked version of this POS?

Try reading the article.

THE MICRO-SIM is the thing being locked or unlocked.

Quote:

70% of this world is GSM. Wake up!

Which matters to people with MicroSIMs that now can't use them abroad with their phones that are designed for both CDMA and GSM networks and could very, VERY easily take it.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I doubted it when I first read the news. It's too good to be true.

This is US; what do you expect?

In the rest of the world, different carriers usually just share the same 3G bands, which means you can carry your phone from one carrier to another.

Here we have only 2 GSM carriers and *somehow* they do not share the same 3G band, and thus phones (even after unlock) are usually not portable between them unless you want to be stuck with 2G speed.

AT&T's stopped providing unlock code for any phone now; not just iPhone.

Sprint and Verizon do not even allow you to bring your own phone to the network.

So, do you really expect these great corporations would allow you to escape from using their "cheap" international roaming service and provide you an unlocked phone?