iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 break Sprint one-day sales, AT&T activation records

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sprint confirmed on Friday that launch day sales of Apple's iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 topped the carrier?s previous one-day sales record while AT&T announced a record number of activations.

It took only four hours for Sprint to break its previous one-day sales record after starting nationwide sales this morning.

?Sprint today reported its best ever day of sales in retail, web and telesales for a device family in Sprint history with the launch of iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.,? said Fared Adib, Sprint?s Product Chief.

While AT&T has yet to announce sales numbers, the company did confirm that a record number of iPhones had been activated as of 4:30 p.m. ET launch day. The company released a statement saying that is "is on-track to double (its) previous record for activations on a single day."

Apple's next-generation handset has been so popular that, due to the high number of activations, AT&T saw server issues, with customers receiving a message saying that their activation was "pending."

Since then, many AT&T customers, particularly those on the East Coast, have been left staring at their sparkling new device for over 7 hours waiting for the carrier to push through their activations so they can proceed past the set-up screen and begin using their device

A customer service rep for AT&T told AppleInsider Friday evening that activations were delayed by as much as two hours the last time her superiors provided her with an update on the matter, which was much earlier Friday morning.

Sprint, the nation?s third-largest carrier, is the latest to carry the iPhone in the U.S., after AT&T and Verizon, and is the only mobile operator still offering unlimited data plans to new and existing subscribers.

?The response to this device by current and new customers has surpassed our expectations and validates our customers? desire for a truly unlimited data pricing plan," Adib said.

Earlier this year Sprint blamed poor quarterly results on its inability to offer the iPhone to interested customers.

A report published before Apple?s Oct. 4 iPhone event revealed that Sprint signed a $20 billion deal with Apple to sell 30.5 million iPhone units in the following four years.

Crowd awaiting iPhone 4S on launch day | source: AT&T flickr

The iPhone 4S, the latest addition to Apple's smartphone lineup, was launched today after a week of pre-sales in seven countries including USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Australia and Japan.

Apple on Monday announced it sold one million iPhone 4S pre-orders during the first 24 hours of availability, a new sales record for the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Steve Jobs death put Apple on the news also.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    my device was not one of those activated. nor will it be. after three hours and 45 minutes of activation failures and one hour and eight minutes on the phone with applecare, with nothing to show other than "try again", i returned it to the store. maybe next time.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

my device was not one of those activated. nor will it be. after three hours and 45 minutes of activation failures and one hour and eight minutes on the phone with applecare, with nothing to show other than "try again", i returned it to the store. maybe next time.

So all was good on the USA east coast until an hour ago - now SIRI won't works at all on two phones! So it seems the faster processor in the 4S just sends it out to servers

• Reply 4 of 35
    Siri is in beta. You should expect occasional service glitches with the service.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

You should've asked the retail AT&T staff to activate them for you. That's what my cousin did and it went without a glitch after failing to activate them over the phone.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

So all was good on the USA east coast until an hour ago - now SIRI won't works at all on two phones! So it seems the faster processor in the 4S just sends it out to servers

It was working, but it's not working anymore?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

?Sprint today reported its best ever day of sales in retail, web and telesales for a device family in Sprint history with the launch of iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.,? said Fared Adib, Sprint?s Product Chief.

Ah, the sweet smell of failure!

On a more serious note, I hope this saves Sprint. The competition for AT&T and Verizon is sorely needed!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    After a little over 3 long years, I've finally had enough of AT&T's BS! I made the switch after they wouldn't upgrade me early (while was the first time that happened and last straw) and would have had to wait another 3 months to do so. Perfect excuse to switch back to Verizon. Phone arrived at 10am and by 11am my phone was completely switched. Kinda feel bad for what all these new AT&T people are in for. Day 1 - can't activate phone , wait till you start dropping calls when it says you have full service, thats when the real fun begins.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

It was working, but it's not working anymore?

it was really terrific - now NO commands recognized. Cannot even say "Call xxx Mobile" well it would appear that almost nothing of siri resides in the phone

poor this

update : if i disable siri i get back the good old voice recognition - this works fine - re enable siri and nada - not working at all its really disappointing
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bombora View Post

After a little over 3 long years, I've finally had enough of AT&T's BS! I made the switch after they wouldn't upgrade me early (while was the first time that happened and last straw) and would have had to wait another 3 months to do so. Perfect excuse to switch back to Verizon. Phone arrived at 10am and by 11am my phone was completely switched. Kinda feel bad for what all these new AT&T people are in for. Day 1 - can't activate phone , wait till you start dropping calls when it says you have full service, thats when the real fun begins.

Wait till you get your first bill with all those mistery Verizon charges..I activated mine in 2 minutes (At&t)
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Activating my 4S took a little longer than my wife's, but both are working now. WOW, what an upgrade from our tired 3G models!
  • Reply 12 of 35
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    All these tales of failing activations, etc., leave me a bit bemused about my experience this morning, considering I chose to forego pre-ordering.

I arrived at the local AT&T store about 75 minutes ahead of their announced open time. I was 9th in line.

While we were waiting, the store passed around Krispy Kreme donuts, bottles of water, color-coded forms to indicate which model we were purchasing, showed off accessories, and fielded questions about the phone's features, and extended warranties.

Once they formally opened, I was among the first batch to be let in, and immediately assigned a salesperson. The actual purchase/activation process took, I think, about seven minutes... including the time to transfer my old SIM card data (this was my first iPhone).

I was also the first purchaser to leave, and I got a spontaneous cheer from the line (which had grown to over three dozen by then). Goofy though it sounds now, I couldn't resist raising my new phone aloft and yelling, "Sixty-four, baby!!"

Total time: 90 minutes, tops. As close to perfect as I could ever hope for.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

You can't wait a day for it to activate? Maybe you shouldn't have bought on launch day. There has been delayed activation every launch.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

it was really terrific - now NO commands recognized. Cannot even say "Call xxx Mobile" well it would appear that almost nothing of siri resides in the phone

poor this

update : if i disable siri i get back the good old voice recognition - this works fine - re enable siri and nada - not working at all its really disappointing

iCloud has been up and down a bit too. I think Apple may be having trouble with so many people signing up. No RIM-level outages though.

Siri requires network connectivity too, so you might want to check that.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    I'm feeling a bit of phone envy today. I preordered last week at my local AT&T store, but I must have been one of the last of the million or so as I have a ship date of 14-21 days. I can't wait to upgrade from my tired old 3G, the 4S sounds amazing compared to what I currently have.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Two hours in line at Berkeley's 4th St. Apple store. A beautiful day, party atmosphere, free Peet's coffee and chocolate chip cookies from a nearby deli. A half hour wait in-store because the network was down for ATT and Verizon (not Sprint.)

All-in-all, the phone is a huge step up from my 3GS. Camera, iCloud, Siri all impressive. While Siri will take a little while to get proficient at, it's pretty sweet right off the bat. "42", indeed!
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

"42", indeed!

Get a life. ;-)
  • Reply 18 of 35
    God i love my 4S!

SIRI ROCKS!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Instant gratification's a bitch, eh?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

poor this

It's in beta. that plus about 2 million people are trying to play with it at the same time.