buzzy iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a used iMac DV SE 400, and it makes a mid to high pitched buzzing noise that seems louder than normal. I assume it must be the hard drive, since it cranks down and stops after idle use (HD spin down) and when asleep.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it something I can fix by maybe tinkering with the HD mountings? Or is it a problem that necessitates completely replacing the HD?

It's not an absolutely major problem--this probably wouldn't even be an issue in a tower computer or in an office environment with lots of noise. But these fanless iMacs are supposed to be virtually silent . This one's going to Mom and Dad for home use, and I'd like to quiet it down if I could.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I would treat this as a warranty situation. Contact whoever sold you the computer and press them, politely, to take care of it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you'd need to replace the HD. i know that there was a whole series of iMacs that had noisey drives after a while.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Could it be the CD drive? My CD drive was noisy as hell, but the HDD was fine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Just get a new iMac.

"Master" of the Mac :cool:
  • Reply 5 of 5
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Thanks for the advice, all.

It's not from a reseller; I actually swapped it for my old Wallstreet. It's from Fall 1999, and I don't believe it was under extended warranty.

I'm fairly certain it's the HD, not the DVD drive. It spins down to silent after inactivity, and inserting/playing/ejecting CDs has no effect.

And while I would love to get a new lump-stick-matchbook, I just bought a TiBook and can't spring anymore.

New question: Are the iMac HD's the same as the ones in beige towers? i.e. Can I replace the iMac's HD and put the old one in my beige G3 which is noisy anyway with its fan?