PC-Mac File Xfer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have something like 900Mb of nice, legal MP3 files, as well as lots of pictures (mostly of my kid), on my PC at work. Last Wednesday, our new iMac was delivered, and I'd like to be able to transfer this stuff from work to home. We only have dialup service at home, so emailing or online storage is out of the question. I have a CD burner at work, and I've tried putting stuff on CD and bringing it home, but OS X won't read the disks. Is there any way to get the iMac to read CD's created on a PC? Thanks -

did

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    OS X should be able to read the CD you burned at work. Was that CD readable on other computers? Some CDRs are not readable due to media problems, not format problems. Did the iMac give you an error?

Confirm that the CD is ISO-9660 format. I once saw another format coming from a PC. I could only read it with VPC although Toast would identify it. Can't recall the name of the format.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Now that I think of it, the CD (made with Adaptec DirectCD on a Win 2000 machine) did contain PC files, like Excel spreadsheets and some .exe's. I think the iMac (gawgeous machine, BTW) gave me an "unreadable volumes" message. I'll try one with just MP3s and see what happens.

did
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've run across this before.

you need to burn the cd as a straight data cd.

a lot of software likes to "format" cd's so they can be treated like a regular disc. this screws them up.

just create a data cd, put whatever files you want on the cd and burn it. it will read fine on other computers then.

as a side note, have you tried reading that cd that the iMac couldn't read on a machine that dind't have the cd burning software on it? i'd be interested to know if it worked.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 4 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i've run across this before.

you need to burn the cd as a straight data cd.

a lot of software likes to "format" cd's so they can be treated like a regular disc. this screws them up.

just create a data cd, put whatever files you want on the cd and burn it. it will read fine on other computers then.

as a side note, have you tried reading that cd that the iMac couldn't read on a machine that dind't have the cd burning software on it? i'd be interested to know if it worked.

-alcimedes</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used Adaptec DirectCD and closed the session, which according to their directions formats the CD to ISO 9660 specs and should thus be readable on a Mac. I created an MP3 only CD this morning; tonight I'll try that on the iMac. I'll also try the first CD I made on my parents old Win 95 hunkajunk, and I'll report later. Thanks, y'all -

did
  • Reply 5 of 10
    not a problem. let us know if it works.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dont use directcd, use easycdcreator, it'll turn out better.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ccr65ccr65 Posts: 59member
    There is an option to burn a CD that is like a PC drive with a drive letter. This will come up in OSX as an incompatable format. The advice to use 9660 is correct.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by CCR65:

<strong>There is an option to burn a CD that is like a PC drive with a drive letter. This will come up in OSX as an incompatable format. The advice to use 9660 is correct.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I did create this with it set as a PC drive letter. Will try easy CD creator today and tonight and report back, if Dear Wife lets me use the iMac for a few minutes. Thanks again, y'all.

did
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Used Easy CD Creator, worked like a charm. Case closed -

did
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cool, glad to hear it.