Samsung ships 20M smartphones, besting Apple's 17.1M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Like others I wonder what the total sell through is, not channel stuffing, not replacements for defective units, but actual sell through for the quarter. I'd bet money Apple would be winner.

2) Wow! That's 37 million devices that look like iPhones being sold last quarter. (not to be taken seriously)

Lets see, 28% retention rate so that means if they sold 100% of those 20 mil only 5.6 mil would keep them.

If Apple sold all of the 17mil (89% retention rate) then of that 15.13 mil would keep them.

And that's assuming the laughable that everything shipped gets sold, many of those (even many iPhones) will likely sit in stores for a while & may not sell this quarter. These shipped numbers are pretty much 100% useless, all they tell us is that Samsung is wasting more money than Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 143
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

Even if it carries the 'smartphone' moniker, this is in no way competition for the iPhone (3GS, 4 or 4S). At best it's the first stop in the race to the bottom.

If Samsung wants to race with Apple, the best they can do is to tie. I mean, Apple is already there, at the bottom, giving away iPhones for free!

If Sammy thinks it can win against that, it will have to start paying people to take them off of their hands!

There ain't nothing cheaper than an iPhone, Sammy. It is free, and try as you might, you can't win!

Apple has ALREADY reached the bottom! You are way behind, Sammy! You've got the most expensive smartphones in the stores, and you think you can compete with Apple giving iPhones away for free?

AHAHAHAHAHAH!

• Reply 43 of 143
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    There were significant markets that were not tapped in the last quarter in addition to the customers deferring purchases of the iPhone. Since then, Apple has added multiple carriers like Sprint.

Most important are the Chinese wireless carriers. The GSM/CDMA phone now can be sold in addition to China Unicom (UMTS 3G) and China Telecom (CDMA). The big elephant with 600M customers is China Mobile, but they use TD-SCDMA. They are interested in the iPhone and at some point, Apple will cut a deal with guaranteed multi-year volume.

It remains to bee seen what will be the effect of iCloud and Siri on demand of the iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Just keep in mind that Apple has done this with a single phone

Well, 3 phones. If you don't count the prepaid phones. Or the phones special-made for China. Or the different colors. Or the different capacities.

But they are all called iPhones, so if we want, we can think of all of Apple's different phones as being the same phone. Only retailers care about there being a dozen different SKUs. Most people don't know the truth, they just know "iPhone".
  • Reply 45 of 143
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Samsung does not care how many are sold from the stores. They care how many phones the stores buy from them....which is shipped.

Apple left 2.8m or so in the channel, so I suppose this difference is quite small. I am not sure why AI did not compare Apples to Apples.
  • Reply 46 of 143
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple left 2.8m or so in the channel, so I suppose this difference is quite small. I am not sure why AI did not compare Apples to Apples.

Wall Street Journal's original article did not compare apples-to-apples. The WSJ's article, in my opinion, is not newsworthy and a bit misleading.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does this mean we'll finally see an end to the endless screams of "BOGO! BOGO!" we usually get here?

Slightly off-topic, but I did not find out what "BOGO" meant until a month ago when I asked my wife since I see the signs frequently in women clothes and shoes stores (e.g. Payless Shoesource).
  • Reply 48 of 143
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

+1!!!!

Sammy sells like 30 different phones while Apple has just 1!

iPhone 4 and 3gs.

NOW, its iPhone 4s, 4, and 3gs.
  • Reply 49 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does this mean we'll finally see an end to the screams of "BOGO! BOGO!" we usually get here?

That remains to be seen. The iPhone is the cheapest smartphone on the planet. Nobody beats Apple in ANY race, including a race to the bottom.

Hell, Apple is at the finish line already! Apple reached absolute rock bottom before anybody else!

There is NO phone cheaper than the iPhone, not nowhere. All the cheapskates are now flocking to Apple. Apple has WON!
  • Reply 50 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTommy View Post

look at that, AI is trolling

I hope they keep it up. I want Apple stock to get back to $350 so I can buy some more!
  • Reply 51 of 143
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Flimsy eh? Square Trade drop tested the IP4s and Galaxy II S. Guess which one survived in better shape?

Yep, the flimsy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

Quoted for truth. I don't understand how anyone could think that two panes of glass would hold up better than good old plastic when things get dicey.

That being said, I live on the edge -- I use my iPhone 4 w/o a case
  • Reply 52 of 143
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Quoted for truth. I don't understand how anyone could think that two panes of glass would hold up better than good old plastic when things get dicey.

Who said that they would? (although I will point out once again that just saying "plastic" and "glass" doesn't mean anything. Some glasses are more flexible than some plastics. Some plastics are more brittle than some glasses. For the sake of argument, I'll assume that you're talking about the plastic in the Nexus vs the glass in the iPhone, but you really should be more careful in making blanket statements).

People buying the iPhone buy it because the overall set of features makes it the best choice for them. Durability is only one of 100 features that people consider. Price, quality of construction, ease of use, appearance, scratch resistance, radio reception, and many, many more things must be considered.
  • Reply 53 of 143
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

eh, wake me when we see how many they actually sold.

I agree. Shipped does not equal sold. And shipped where: to another warehouse, to a distributor's outlet, to a repair depot or to a land fill?
  • Reply 54 of 143
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That remains to be seen. The iPhone is the cheapest smartphone on the planet. Nobody beats Apple in ANY race, including a race to the bottom.

Hell, Apple is at the finish line already! Apple reached absolute rock bottom before anybody else!

There is NO phone cheaper than the iPhone, not nowhere. All the cheapskates are now flocking to Apple. Apple has WON!

Are you OK?
  • Reply 55 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, sold just the same as Samsung would sell them. Once a reseller pays for them and they leave Samsung's control it's a sale, just as it is for Apple. In general the "sale" is counted once the devices are paid for and shipment made, whether to a Best Buy, ATT, Verizon or Walmart warehouse, or to an individual buyer. Apple is very clear on this. Read Apple's SEC 10-K filing to confirm how Apple recognizes a sale in it's financial statements if you have a question about it.

Samsung, for some curious reason, does not appear to report its handset sales in its financials.

If you know of an actual audited number that says "Sales" for Samsung, I would love to see it.
  • Reply 56 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

I agree. Shipped does not equal sold. And shipped where: to another warehouse, to a distributor's outlet, to a repair depot or to a land fill?

I'm undoubtedly an Android fan, but I don't like these types of reports.
  • Reply 57 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S II was recently crowned 'best smartphone 2011' in the Netherlands (go figure what the dutchies were smoking).

Chocolate sprinkles?
  • Reply 58 of 143
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i'd say close to 0% were sold in the USA. the USA didn't get the SGS 2 until last month. i've read it was a popular phone around the world and was sold unlocked almost everywhere.
  • Reply 59 of 143
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 143
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    You have to love the Samsung development process. Apparently no one talks to anyone else there:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Given Samsung's series of patent infringement lawsuits with Apple, the company's new flagship Galaxy Nexus handset has reportedly been designed specifically to avoid potentially infringing on iPhone-related patents.

Samsung mobile president Shin Jong-kyun revealed his company's approach when speaking with reporters this week following the unveiling of the Galaxy Nexus, according to Yonhap News Agency. He said Samsung will "avoid everything and take patents very seriously."

He went on to say that though Samsung took great pains to avoid any potential patent infringement with the Google Nexus, he could not be certain that the phone will be "100 percent free" of lawsuits from Apple.

At the same time,

http://allthingsd.com/20111020/samsu...apple-patents/

Quote:

Samsung mobile executive Won-Pyo Hong said the just-announced Galaxy Nexus is designed to stand out, but was not specifically aimed at avoiding Apple patents.

Hong said that the possible patent overlaps weren?t as much an issue when Google and Samsung began planning for the product many months ago.

?At the time this was not a really heavy issue,? Hong said, speaking at AsiaD. Hong said that patents were not a big part of the discussion in planning the lead device for Ice Cream Sandwich, now known as Android 4.0.

?I don?t know where that rumor is from,? Hong said.

Sounds like "Samsung mobile executive Won-Pyo Hong" needs to communicate better with "Samsung mobile president Shin Jong-kyun".

No wonder they can't innovate - executives there don't even talk to each other - or read the news.