iPhone 3GS + iOS 5 = location services disabled?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have today - I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 5 and now the Location Services are entirely disabled. Try as I may, the iPhone won't turn the service on. I've googled the issue and all that comes back are hits for the new redsn0w jailbreak.

I'd love some feedback if anyone has a suggestion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Works fine on mine ... 3GS with iOS5 ... location services working.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmowry View Post

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have today - I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 5 and now the Location Services are entirely disabled. Try as I may, the iPhone won't turn the service on. I've googled the issue and all that comes back are hits for the new redsn0w jailbreak.

I'd love some feedback if anyone has a suggestion.

Yep, same issue. Upgraded my Iphone 3GS (jailbroken on IOS version 3.1.3) to v5.0 and it shows my Location services as on, but it really isn't (and can't toggle it off/on or any of the sub apps...such as camera, iheart, maps, etc.). I backed up my phone before upgrading (as I always do when testing out new versions of IOS) so that I could revert back to my trustworthy 3.1.3, but since upgrading to 5.0, I am unable to go back and location services broke in the process.

Now, back to your issue! I had this issue on a Verizon iphone 4 that I bought temporarily and in order to get location services working, I had to call Verizon and have them enable it. My guess is you might (and I too, since I'm stuck at 5.0) have to call AT&T support to have them enable it. When on the Verizon version, the guy new right away what it was and fixed it....I hope AT&T will be to as well. Hope that helps!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymousdrew View Post

Yep, same issue. Upgraded my Iphone 3GS (jailbroken on IOS version 3.1.3) to v5.0 and it shows my Location services as on, but it really isn't (and can't toggle it off/on or any of the sub apps...such as camera, iheart, maps, etc.). I backed up my phone before upgrading (as I always do when testing out new versions of IOS) so that I could revert back to my trustworthy 3.1.3, but since upgrading to 5.0, I am unable to go back and location services broke in the process.

Now, back to your issue! I had this issue on a Verizon iphone 4 that I bought temporarily and in order to get location services working, I had to call Verizon and have them enable it. My guess is you might (and I too, since I'm stuck at 5.0) have to call AT&T support to have them enable it. When on the Verizon version, the guy new right away what it was and fixed it....I hope AT&T will be to as well. Hope that helps!

FOUND THE FIX! (worked for me)

To re-enable location:

1) Go to Settings

2) Select "General"

3) Go to "Restrictions"

4) Either Disable Restrictions, or set "Allow/Locations" to "ON".

Found this @ https://discussions.apple.com/message/16352730#16352730
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Ive been struggling with the location services this week after an upgrade and restore. Thank you so much. This worked immediately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymousdrew View Post

To re-enable location:

1) Go to Settings

2) Select "General"

3) Go to "Restrictions"

• Reply 5 of 8

Just to say thanks this was exactly the problem and been looking for the answer for the last few hours.

:)

• Reply 6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymousdrew View Post

To re-enable location:

1) Go to Settings

2) Select "General"

3) Go to "Restrictions"

perfect problem sorted - thanks

• Reply 7 of 8

Strange that they will put restrictions on that by default.

• Reply 8 of 8

Thank you thank you - that was driving me nuts and it's not an intuitive fix!