AT&T iPhone 4S connection problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

My 4S has not been able retrieve any data all day today: no email, weather, scores, internet, nothing. After scouring the AT&T site and coming up empty, I figured I'd turn to you. Here's my setup:

Airplane mode = off

Wi-Fi = off (tried it on as well, no dice when connected from my home network)

Location Services = on

General > Network > Cellular Data = on

General > Network > Data Roaming = off

VPN = Not applicable

Signal strength = 3 bars 3G

When I let Safari try to load google.com, the progress loop next to the 3G icon spins for several minutes, and then I get the popup: "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staudte1945 View Post

Any ideas?

Call Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Same problem. Says cannot connect to the network. 3G or wifi. As far as Siri only. The rest woks fine
  • Reply 3 of 18
    It's funny to see that I was not the only one with this same issue. I try everything, called 611 and spoke with a tech from AT&T and did diag and even reactivated my account and got a new sim twice to see if that would fix the problem but it would just fix and soon it would give me the same problem.... Full bars w/3G and couldn't go online or anything that required a data connection, I try and ask Siri somthing and she tells me " Im really sorry about this but I can't take any requests right now please try again in a little while"

I reset network settings and reboot and hard rest but still would have this problem and this is all happening it places that my 3gS had no problem loading pages and any data task.....I took it to apple and they just told me it a network problem and took my sim out and put it back in and it fix but as soon as I left the mall same problem. It's funny but on the AT&T site it says the 4S is 4G capable and I bet every person that ownes a 4S never seen a 4G next to the bars.... I think if I had took my old sim from my 3GS and used a sim cutter to get it to fit the micro sim tray maybe this wouldn't be happening. If you look at the bigger sims and the micro the micro one don't say 3G on it like the one that goes in the 3GS! But I gave up trying to get what already should be working when you buy the phone and befor the 30day return with AT&T expired and got just a regular iPhone 4 and I've never regret it for a second because I don't have the problem with this one. But it seems as AT&T may have been 1 step ahead because now they don't offer 16gig in the 4, just the 8 and 32gig so with that said good luck with the iphone4Suck model...... It's a joke that consumer report isn't a lover this like the anntenagate with the 4, and I don't seem to have any affect with the death grip and receptions. SiRi in Japan I think means SHIT!!!!! I'm not joking google it if the phone lets you......
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rapplestillskin View Post

Full bars w/3G and couldn't go online or anything that required a data connection, I try and ask Siri somthing and she tells me " Im really sorry about this but I can't take any requests right now please try again in a little while"

What about on Wi-Fi? Did you try that?

Quote:

It's funny but on the AT&T site it says the 4S is 4G capable and I bet every person that ownes a 4S never seen a 4G next to the bars...

That's because AT&T is lying to you, period. Apple's definition of 3G and AT&T's definition of 4G are the same.

Quote:

If you look at the bigger sims and the micro the micro one don't say 3G on it like the one that goes in the 3GS!

And you're implying what with this statement? All microSIM cards are, at minimum, 3G based. That's all there is to it. They don't need to print "3G" on them.

Quote:

good luck with the iphone4Suck model......

Enjoy your ad-hom attacks against a product that works perfectly well for tens of millions of other people and which would have worked perfectly well for you if you had thought to try some more troubleshooting such as swapping out the phone and not just the SIM cards.

Quote:

It's a joke that consumer report isn't a lover this like the anntenagate with the 4, and I don't seem to have any affect with the death grip and receptions.

That's because it never existed in the first place.

Quote:

SiRi in Japan I think means SHIT!!!!! I'm not joking google it if the phone lets you......

Again, thanks for the pointless attacks against Siri. As a point of interest, of the twenty-five or so ways to express 'crap', 'feces', and the like in Japanese, absolutely none of them come close, phonetically or in spelling, to 'Siri'.

"Nice" try, though.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    FYI:

Siri is a BETA product.

Apple said so when the announced the 4S on day 1. It STILL says so on Apple's webpage about Siri.

Oh the joys of being a beta-tester!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What about on Wi-Fi? Did you try that?

That's because AT&T is lying to you, period. Apple's definition of 3G and AT&T's definition of 4G are the same.

And you're implying what with this statement? All microSIM cards are, at minimum, 3G based. That's all there is to it. They don't need to print "3G" on them.

Enjoy your ad-hom attacks against a product that works perfectly well for tens of millions of other people and which would have worked perfectly well for you if you had thought to try some more troubleshooting such as swapping out the phone and not just the SIM cards.

That's because it never existed in the first place.

Again, thanks for the pointless attacks against Siri. As a point of interest, of the twenty-five or so ways to express 'crap', 'feces', and the like in Japanese, absolutely none of them come close, phonetically or in spelling, to 'Siri'.

"Nice" try, though.

Well if I just swap my phone with another 4S and it have te same problem then I'm stuck with it due to me buying the phone off AT&T web site as a upgrade from my 3GS and the policy is u can only swap it one time so I went with the 4 because I didn't want to take a chance with being stuck with a crap ass product, also I took it to apple and said nothing was wrong with the phone and that if I swap it for another one it wouldn't make a difference! So they kinda told me the phone sucks we know but deal with it......... So I went with a product JOBs approved of him self rather then somthing he had no part of! Anything in my point of view that comes from apple after his passing is a wast of money. No direction anymore just a bunch of people doing thing that was not allowed when he was still with us..........SiRi meaning Shit came from google not my imagination........
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Well if I just swap my phone with another 4S and it have te same problem then I'm stuck with it due to me buying the phone off AT&T web site as a upgrade from my 3GS and the policy is u can only swap it one time

No. If your device is defective, you get new ones or repairs until it's fixed. Period. That's how AppleCare works. Don't let anyone tell you different. If you didn't break it, you get as many swaps as needed to make it right. And that's within the first year of owning it, too.

Quote:

...stuck with a crap ass product...

Yes, because we all know the 4S is one of those.

Quote:

also I took it to apple and said nothing was wrong with the phone and that if I swap it for another one it wouldn't make a difference!

I don't buy that. If you had actually done this or shown them that Siri refused to work, they would have done something about it.

Quote:

So they kinda told me the phone sucks we know but deal with it...

Again, this didn't happen.

Quote:

So I went with a product JOBs approved of him self rather then somthing he had no part of!

Stop this nonsense. Are you so foolish as to think a device that was released a day before his death wasn't approved by him? COME OFF IT. Your entire account is completely threadbare as it is.

Quote:

Anything in my point of view that comes from apple after his passing is a wast of money.

So why bother buying anything at all? You obviously don't care about the truth, so all Apple products are off limits to you from now on.

Quote:

No direction anymore just a bunch of people doing thing that was not allowed when he was still with us..........SiRi meaning Shit came from google not my imagination........

Yeah, you're lying about this whole thing.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

No. If your device is defective, you get new ones or repairs until it's fixed. Period. That's how AppleCare works. Don't let anyone tell you different. If you didn't break it, you get as many swaps as needed to make it right. And that's within the first year of owning it, too.

Yes, because we all know the 4S is one of those.

I don't buy that. If you had actually done this or shown them that Siri refused to work, they would have done something about it.

Again, this didn't happen.

Stop this nonsense. Are you so foolish as to think a device that was released a day before his death wasn't approved by him? COME OFF IT. Your entire account is completely threadbare as it is.

So why bother buying anything at all? You obviously don't care about the truth, so all Apple products are off limits to you from now on.

Yeah, you're lying about this whole thing.

Who are you to say that I'm a not telling the truth? And I'm responding to someone who has had this same problem so I don't need to justify me self to you or Anyone else but the person that started this post! And me I'm just stating my point of view on the problems I have had with the 4S and for you to be all defensive over this is just childish and if you don't have this problem of a fix for it then don't post a reply because it don't concern you! As for apple care then they didn't seem to want to swap it for me because they said " nothing is wrong with the phone it's a network issue" but it stats on the device full reception and 3G" and I said to them then y if it's a network this does it have full reception? Then they turns on my wifi and said look it works now! And then I said forget it and left the store! So then I took it back to AT&T who allowed me to swap it for only one time and went with a device that I know doesn't have this problem. So don't be calling me a bullshiter because you the ass in this whole thing by assuming what u don't know!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    3 posts... all trolling... and he started by resurrecting a dead thread.

... almost makes me embarrassed to be posting , but I'm the kind of person that likes to kick over fire-ant mounds when I see them just to irritate the little srekcuf !!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Who are you to say that I'm a not telling the truth?

I truly cannot, as I do not know you as a person nor was I with you in any of these situations.

Quote:

And I'm responding to someone who has had this same problem so I don't need to justify me self to you or Anyone else but the person that started this post!

If trolls really only had to get other trolls to believe them, this would be a messed up world.

Quote:

And me I'm just stating my point of view on the problems I have had with the 4S and for you to be all defensive over this is just childish

I'm being "defensive" because your situation as described is so far from real policy for both the carriers and Apple that it's hard to believe it actually happened.

Quote:

and if you don't have this problem of a fix for it then don't post a reply because it don't concern you!

I don't even have a 4S. I don't HAVE to have a 4S. I know how to fix the problem. I already told you how to fix the problem and how the problem should have been handled by Apple and AT&T. If you wish, you can STILL go back to either of those stores and do what I outlined earlier and that will fix your problem.

Quote:

As for apple care then they didn't seem to want to swap it for me because they said " nothing is wrong with the phone it's a network issue"

Again I'll ask, did Siri work on Wi-Fi? If Siri worked on Wi-Fi but not 3G, this is a problem with AT&T, not your phone itself. If you found that Siri worked on Wi-Fi, you go to AT&T and demand an explanation, because clearly it DOES work and is NOT your phone that was the problem.

Quote:

Then they turns on my wifi and said look it works now!

OH. GOOD. So I was right. So it's AT&T's problem.

Quote:

And then I said forget it and left the store! So then I took it back to AT&T who allowed me to swap it for only one time and went with a device that I know doesn't have this problem.

Okay, so... let's get this straight. The Apple Store people showed you?to your face?that the phone did not have any problems... and you still claim it had a problem. This, in addition to your mistaken beliefs about policy, is why you're getting a raw deal here.

Quote:

So don't be calling me a bullshiter because you the ass in this whole thing by assuming what u don't know!

We don't insult people here, thanks. I make no assumptions other than where I know what you have said is the opposite of real policy for both stores. AT&T does NOT have ANY control over the number of times you swap your device. That was the wrong thing to do. Your device was not the problem. AT&T's network is.

For not even bothering to try to fix your own problem and then coming here and complaining about it on the Internet under false information and false pretenses, you're getting a raw deal HERE. That's all there is to it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

I truly cannot, as I do not know you as a person nor was I with you in any of these situations.

If trolls really only had to get other trolls to believe them, this would be a messed up world.

I'm being "defensive" because your situation as described is so far from real policy for both the carriers and Apple that it's hard to believe it actually happened.

I don't even have a 4S. I don't HAVE to have a 4S. I know how to fix the problem. I already told you how to fix the problem and how the problem should have been handled by Apple and AT&T. If you wish, you can STILL go back to either of those stores and do what I outlined earlier and that will fix your problem.

Again I'll ask, did Siri work on Wi-Fi? If Siri worked on Wi-Fi but not 3G, this is a problem with AT&T, not your phone itself. If you found that Siri worked on Wi-Fi, you go to AT&T and demand an explanation, because clearly it DOES work and is NOT your phone that was the problem.

OH. GOOD. So I was right. So it's AT&T's problem.

Okay, so... let's get this straight. The Apple Store people showed you?to your face?that the phone did not have any problems... and you still claim it had a problem. This, in addition to your mistaken beliefs about policy, is why you're getting a raw deal here.

We don't insult people here, thanks. I make no assumptions other than where I know what you have said is the opposite of real policy for both stores. AT&T does NOT have ANY control over the number of times you swap your device. That was the wrong thing to do. Your device was not the problem. AT&T's network is.

For not even bothering to try to fix your own problem and then coming here and complaining about it on the Internet under false information and false pretenses, you're getting a raw deal HERE. That's all there is to it.

I received my 4S on the 16 of January it had to be bought online because AT&T here in Hawaii did not have a black 16g in stock only white. So I received it and I'm upgrading from my 3GS I had for 2 years and never had a problem with going online anywhere. So I activate my 4S in about 10 min or so. Then the next day I left for work and was sitting in my car but couldn't get online. I called AT&T did all that was stated and same problem. I took to apple and asked them what's wrong with the phone because it is showing I have full reception with 3G and they then try to go online but couldn't! Then tgey turn on wifi and can go online. But I said why can't on 3G full bars showing on the phone w/ wifi off get me online? They said it a network thing! How can it be a network thing if it has reception & 3G ? I can call , text but not get online! They took out my sim and put back in and fix for long enough till I leave and then same problem.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

?it is showing I have full reception with 3G and they then try to go online but couldn't! Then tgey turn on wifi and can go online.

Ah, not just Siri, but the entirety of Internet stuff. Okay, so that's either a problem with the network or the cellular telephony chip in the phone itself.

Quote:

But I said why can't on 3G full bars showing on the phone w/ wifi off get me online?

I don't have a perfect answer, but the problem has one of the above two causes.

Quote:

They said it a network thing! How can it be a network thing if it has reception & 3G ?

That does sound contradictory, doesn't it? There's a simple explanation, however. Oh! I've thought of a third option. It's quite implausible, but it could be the case: your account had a hiccup and didn't register properly.

I personally have a first-gen iPhone. I don't have any sort of plan with it whatsoever, so I can't make calls or use cellular data. I just use Wi-Fi. Wherever I go, I receive signal on my phone. It shows up with both bars for calling and an "E" for EDGE service. But I cannot access things that could use either of those features because I don't have a plan with my phone.

Quote:

I can call , text but not get online!

And this makes the above sound less plausible, but not entirely impossible.

Quote:

They took out my sim and put back in and fix for long enough till I leave and then same problem.

Ah, this is interesting. It could also be a problem, then, with your SIM card; either the way it was seated in the phone or the connector pins in the phone itself.

You did do the right thing in swapping your device out. However, I personally would have swapped for a new 4S. Siri is not to blame here, nor is the concept behind the 4S inherently to blame. You have a working phone now, yes, but you waited for the express purpose of getting a 4S. The speed (both of the network and the device itself) and new features will serve you much further into the future than the iPhone 4 will be able to.

I am of the belief that you should be able to still go back to the Apple Store, tell the manager (you might very well need the manager's approval at this point) your story and that you'd like to swap back to a 4S, and then try another 4S.

Of the? what was it, five possible problems this could have been, three of them sound like iPhone hardware issues rather than AT&T hardware issues.

I think you should give it another go, but that's me. Thank you for continuing to give us information about your situation; I apologize for any harsh words earlier, but you had left out so much that your story seemed shaky. Having all this extra information allowed me to pare down the possible causes of the problem, and it does sound like, more than the network, you may have had problems with that specific device.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Ah, not just Siri, but the entirety of Internet stuff. Okay, so that's either a problem with the network or the cellular telephony chip in the phone itself.

I don't have a perfect answer, but the problem has one of the above two causes.

That does sound contradictory, doesn't it? There's a simple explanation, however. Oh! I've thought of a third option. It's quite implausible, but it could be the case: your account had a hiccup and didn't register properly.

I personally have a first-gen iPhone. I don't have any sort of plan with it whatsoever, so I can't make calls or use cellular data. I just use Wi-Fi. Wherever I go, I receive signal on my phone. It shows up with both bars for calling and an "E" for EDGE service. But I cannot access things that could use either of those features because I don't have a plan with my phone.

And this makes the above sound less plausible, but not entirely impossible.

Ah, this is interesting. It could also be a problem, then, with your SIM card; either the way it was seated in the phone or the connector pins in the phone itself.

You did do the right thing in swapping your device out. However, I personally would have swapped for a new 4S. Siri is not to blame here, nor is the concept behind the 4S inherently to blame. You have a working phone now, yes, but you waited for the express purpose of getting a 4S. The speed (both of the network and the device itself) and new features will serve you much further into the future than the iPhone 4 will be able to.

I am of the belief that you should be able to still go back to the Apple Store, tell the manager (you might very well need the manager's approval at this point) your story and that you'd like to swap back to a 4S, and then try another 4S.

Of the? what was it, five possible problems this could have been, three of them sound like iPhone hardware issues rather than AT&T hardware issues.

I think you should give it another go, but that's me. Thank you for continuing to give us information about your situation; I apologize for any harsh words earlier, but you had left out so much that your story seemed shaky. Having all this extra information allowed me to pare down the possible causes of the problem, and it does sound like, more than the network, you may have had problems with that specific device.

Well I'm over the whole thing now anyways, but most of the new stuff on the 4S I never really put to use. I just need reliability and something to help me pass time soar work.... I wanted the phone I received (4S) to be that but the one I got didn't do that for me. But the 4 is fine and I swapped my phone at AT&T and they credit my account the difference from the 4-4S. Thanks for the tips and feed back. Maybe if the iPhone was made in America we would have not had this problem because a lot of company's produce iPhone parts and that's when reliability becomes an issue just as Toyota had with it recalls in the past years......

And do you know who put the sims in the phones apple when it's being made? Or AT&T after they receive the phones from apple?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Maybe if the iPhone was made in America we would have not had this problem because a lot of company's produce iPhone parts

No, that's not gonna fix anything. American hands slip up just as much as Chinese hands. The processors are already made here.

Quote:

And do you know who put the sims in the phones apple when it's being made? Or AT&T after they receive the phones from apple?

As far as I know it's a little of both. If you do your activation in-store, AT&T will fiddle with the SIM, but otherwise the SIM comes with the device. AT&T ships the SIMs to the assembly plant and they're inserted there.
  • Reply 15 of 18

Hello guys! i just took an iphone 4S and i realised a problem with internet connection!Well.....Here is the way it goes! I turn on Wi-Fi ..then it finds a tomson(or another wireless internet) and i press on it (of course it is locked) and when i press the right password it  says''Please Wait" and after some seconds tells"Unable to Connect" i cannot understand the problem! i searched every option! Can you help me?

• Reply 16 of 18

go to settings then resetthen reset all settings. 

• Reply 17 of 18

As far as I'm concerned,Diablo 3 is very intersting. Buying Diablo III Gold from vipdiablo3 is the most convenient and fastest way.I can always get a secure delivery within 15mins minutes ,they can always make sure my enjoying not being disrupted and having execute more exciting:

[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]Runescape Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.d3face.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.topgw2gold.com/]Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]

• Reply 18 of 18
    I had the same problems with connect to Internet.
    They gave me the 5 and the problem remains.
    The whole day today I couldn't log in Internet Facebook or anything else.
    Your complaints go to deaf ears.
    I had to face their shity customer service for more than four months and the problem remains.
    I will be more patient on the future.
    There is no place for activation.
    AT&T is the worst company