Moving Game Center username from one Apple ID to another

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've tried to do this but it doesn't seem possible. For instance, trying to choose the username from another Apple ID you own correctly tells you that it's already in use. However, logging in with the Apple ID that has the username you want and trying to change the Apple ID tells me that the Apple ID I want to move the username to already has a username even though it doesn't because I'm at the stage of choosing a username in that other account. In this case I get the error message: "This change is not allowed because that Apple ID is already in use. You can try again using a different name or leave your Apple ID unchanged."

I read about one potential solution to this and that is changing the username you want in the Apple ID you no longer want associated with Game Centre, thereby releasing it and then quickly try to grab it again in the Apple ID you do want it on. I'm a bit nervous about trying this though because I do like the username enough that I'd rather stay with the existing Apple ID than risk losing it.

Has anyone tried doing this and had success? Maybe Apple blocks you from using a username for a period of time after it's been associated with an account, so I'm not sure I want to do this.

I wish Apple would just let us consolidate Apple IDs! It's a cause of endless frustration for so many people!!!