How do I set up a wireless network ...

hirhir
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
between an older B&W G3, a G3 233 Powerbook, and my DSL?!? I hear it's very simple and less expensive (though not AS simple) than Apple's Airport solution, which I can't use anyway. Please give me brands and prices if possible. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Finding a cheap base station is easy. I got a SMC barricade for $140. What OS are you using on the machines? There is a company that sells wireless cards that will work in the G3 PBs but they only support OS9 although there is a project over on sourceforge.com that has an OS X driver. But, that driver will not work in your beige G3. There seems to be an issue with the PCI adapter card that is required.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    TD,

I have OSX on my blue and white (not beige) G3 and OS 9.2 on the laptop. Will this work with the setup you have? I'll have to look into theat SMC barricade. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm guessing that the G3 is close to the DSL line and can be ethernet connected..

That leaves the PB 233 to buy a wireless card for, and a base station to connect the three together (DSL modem, PM, and PB).

I recently sold a WaveLan bronze on Ebay for $50, that worked superbly in a lombard (bronze PB 300), using the airport client software. I do not know for *sure*, but I would be surprised if your 233 didn't do as well.

As for the Wireless Basestation: I am using the original Airport, but standards prevail here - any decent company does just fine - PC or otherwise. If you want tech support from the company, consider farallon or macSense (both highly regarded). I believe SMC will also stay on the line after you tell them you have a mac.

I have bought D-link network stuff, and find their manuals clear and easy to follow - I ignore the cheesy IE screen captures

GL, Eric
  • Reply 4 of 4
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Dlink rules... Currently I'm online with an ibook500 (wireless), a HP Omnibook (wireless), A cube 450 (ethernet), An Imac Ethernet, A IBM netvista (ethernet) and a shared printer on the network, with my Dlink wirless/ethernet/printer hub. Which was cheeper(!) than an Airport basestation, and has a firewall etc...

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: New ]</p>