Combined Mac and iOS shipment growth would make Apple world's second largest PC maker

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
iPad and Mac shipments both outgrew the Windows PC market in CYQ3 2011, and if combined would boast a 99% growth rate and make Apple the second largest PC maker in the world.

In a report released on Tuesday, analyst Horace Dediu of asymco contrasts Apple's Mac OSX's 27.7% growth rate with Windows-based systems' 2.5% for the third quarter of 2011. He added that if iPads were included with Mac OS X, Apple's "computer" shipment growth rate would be 99%, making it the world's number two PC maker with 15% market share, falling just short of HP's 15.7%.

Apple sold a record 11.2 million iPad units in the quarter ending in September seeing a 166% unit growth, doubling the company's PC shipment growth despite a record-breaking 4.89 million Macs shipped.

During Apple?s Oct. 18 quarterly earnings conference call, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook admitted that iPad sales cannibalized Mac sales but that iPad growth is coming primarily at the expense of Windows PCs.

?With cannibalization like this, I hope it continues,? Cook said.

By comparison, Windows PC makers are seeing "low-end disruption," or losses in market share over the last three years, with the most affected companies being smaller OEMs, which decreased 10.5% to around 30% share. Larger manufacturers like HP, Acer and Dell lost 2.6%, 3.9% and 3.4% share respectively, while Lenovo saw a 4.48% growth over the same period.

While small "other" OEMs have seen a decrease in share in the low-end PC industry, similar small companies are growing in the mobile phone sector as communication moves up market, which he calls "new market disruption." The "other" phone OEMs grew from 15% to 24% in the same quarter.

The analyst sees Apple taking advantage of the "low-end disruption" in the PC sector with the iPad, and "new market disruption" in the mobile phone market with its iPhone line.

Dediu suggested that the company's Mac business continues to grow alongside iOS devices is because its PC line ?consists of 74% portables," with products like the MacBook Pro and Air being ?largely unmatched" and having "a near monopoly in their target price.?

Although Apple?s Mac line has continued to see a higher growth rate than PCs for more than 20 quarters, Windows still holds the 82% of the market, followed by iOS with 10.5%, OS X with 4.7% and Android with around 3%.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad and Mac shipments both outgrew the Windows PC market in CYQ3 2011, and if combined would boast a 99% growth rate and make Apple the second largest PC maker in the world.

He added that if iOS devices were included with OSX, Apple's "computer" shipment growth rate would be 99%

So are we talking about all iOS devices or just the iPad? It wouldn't make much sense to include the iPod Touch or the iPhone if we're talking about being the largest 'PC' manufacturer (and TBH, including iPads is a bit of a stretch even though it does make sense).
  • Reply 2 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    And HP who are the only ones ahead of Apple are really serious about the PC business ... Oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumrobot View Post

So are we talking about all iOS devices or just the iPad? It wouldn't make much sense to include the iPod Touch or the iPhone if we're talking about being the largest 'PC' manufacturer (and TBH, including iPads is a bit of a stretch even though it does make sense).

I was told by someone at a store last week that the iPad is not a computer ..
  • Reply 4 of 41
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Just the iPad. HP shipped 16.6 million PCs. Apple shipped 11.2 million iPads and 4.9 million Macs. AI's headline is misleading.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. I use my iPad as a laptop replacement. I'm starting to wish I had Xcode on there.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

I too was confused about whether the stat was about Mac and iPad or Mac and all iOS. I agree that considering it appropriate to aggregate sales of the Touch with sales of Mac Pros is maybe a bit overbroad.

Including iPads may be a stretch, or it may be appropriate. I think that history will teach us, as things progress. The iPad may well be a transition device to a new class of electronic wonderment. It may be the new form factor for personal computers.

We don't know yet.

But including iPads in with Macs makes a certain amount of sense even now, I think, if it is indeed true that iPad sales displace Mac and PC sales. If so, they can (and maybe should) be considered together.

The most interesting analysis, however, would slice and dice things in many different ways, so we could see all the differences. Too often these stories concentrate on a single way of looking at the data, or only a few highlights, rather than giving lots of perspectives.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And HP who are the only ones ahead of Apple are really serious about the PC business ... Oh wait a minute ...

That really is a sad commentary on the industry. Sad but true.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    So am I to understand that iOS has cannibalized OSX?

OSX is really only 4.7%?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I was told by someone at a store last week that the iPad is not a computer ..

I was told by someone at a store last week that the iMac is not a computer...
  • Reply 9 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Imagine how large that number becomes when you include all the Mac, iPad and iPhone clones on the market.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's not even the same thought. \ You know what I meant. The iPad is "not" a computer.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    That is one bizarre chart.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

That's not even the same thought. \ You know what I meant. The iPad is "not" a computer.

You don't recall the years of comments that Macs aren't PCs? Your comment is the same rhetoric. So why aren't iPads PCs or computers? Are they not personal? Do they not compute?

Last year the complaint was that you had to use PC to activate and update the device. That's no longer true so what keeps Apple's tablet from a PC while decades of other tablets still get to be called PCs?

You actually have a definition to use that would make sense but you offered none so it looks like you're just mimicking someone's anti-Apple agenda.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    *Chuckles*

I posted this in a previous article about how iPad is ruling tablet for web usage and iOS is the leading mobile platform...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's fantastic how quick and easy it is to recategorized devices depending on the statistic one is trying to peddle. The iPad is like the chameleon of consumer devices! This is how conversations go down on AI...

These PC OS platform statistics look terrible!
    Well duh! OS platforms aren't important. Individual vendors are!
    Ah, that's a lot better! But these "largest PC vendor" stats don't look right. Apple isn't quite at the top!
    You want to beef up those "largest PC vendor" stats, just include the iPad. Simple!
    Hang on... if the iPad is counted as a "PC" then what are we going to do with the "media tablet" stats?
    No worries, just include the iPad there as well!
    Oh no! I've just realized iOS isn't the highest selling smart phone OS
    Well duh! Individual vendors aren't important. OS platforms are!
    That makes heaps of sense! If only we didn't include the iPad as a PC and a media tablet we could create a new "mobile OS" category that iOS can win!
    Well that's where you would be wrong! The iPad fits right in that statistic as well! It's quite obviously a media PC tablet mobile OS device computer
    Cool. So is Android's growth much higher than iOS at the moment?
    Market share doesn't matter. It's all about how many apps your platform has
    Doesn't Android have a lot of apps as well?
    Didn't I just tell you? It's all about the quality of apps your platform has
    Oh. Well that makes sense. Isn't Android getting a lot of quality apps now as well?
    Who cares about that? Don't you even understand how much of the mobile industries profit ends up at Apple? It's more than every other company combined. 70% of the iPhone price is pure profit!!!!!!
    Doesn't that mean Apple over-charged me for my iPhone?
    You don't understand the difference between cost and value.
    Well now I'm confused.
    Fandroid.

• Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't recall the years of comments that Macs aren't PCs? Your comment is the same rhetoric. So why aren't iPads PCs or computers? Are they not personal? Do they not compute?

Last year the complaint was that you had to use PC to activate and update the device. That's no longer true so what keeps Apple's tablet from a PC while decades of other tablets still get to be called PCs?

You actually have a definition to use that would make sense but you offered none so it looks like you're just mimicking someone's anti-Apple agenda.

I've heard people say that any computer that doesn't run Windows is merely a toy. Apple is always claimed to be a company that sells very expensive but not very useful toys.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    If they would just add a file manager capability to iOS and a shared file space for apps, iOS devices would arguably be PC's. Should be pretty simple to just create a Finder-like app ported from OSX and give apps permission to access at least a limited shared file space.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I was told by someone at a store last week that a fish isn't a tree.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

...Although Apple?s Mac line has continued to see a higher growth rate than PCs for more than 20 quarters...

While I'm sure you are just repeating something you read, that statistic always sounds like it was written intentionally to deceive. When the PC side grows by roughly 300 million units in 2010 and the Mac side grows by 20 million units, that is not higher growth.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelstuff View Post

While I'm sure you are just repeating something you read, that statistic always sounds like it was written intentionally to deceive. When the PC side grows by roughly 300 million units in 2010 and the Mac side grows by 20 million units, that is not higher growth.

You've failed to understand that it's about percentage. You've also failed to understand that a single PC vendor within all vendors selling PCs will obviously sell less units than the whole, which should have a been a red flag that you're not reading the data correctly.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

If they would just add a file manager capability to iOS and a shared file space for apps, iOS devices would arguably be PC's. Should be pretty simple to just create a Finder-like app ported from OSX and give apps permission to access at least a limited shared file space.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

It was a conscious decision for iOS to NOT have a file manager.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

... that iPad sales cannibalized Mac sales but that iPad growth is coming primarily at the expense of Windows PCs. ...

And it is exactly the low end of the PC market that used to be responsible for the market (and mind) share with price-minded buyers (families and company projects, even schools, on a tight budget).

But with the iPad, Apple now is undercutting a large part of that market. Except for the power typists, the iPad more than fulfills the needs of those consumers.

Maybe Apple should advertise (and detail) more the potential of using an iPad with bluetooth keyboards.

The fact that iOS5 also removes the need of a "master" computer to run iTunes, will further simplify the "system management" aspect of owning a computing device.