Airport Express

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if someone with an Airport Express could answer a couple of questions for me, because I'm confused what I think it should be able to do.

The Apple website suggests that I can basically plug it in next to my stereo, connect the Airport Express to my wireless network, and with a cable to the AUX port of my stereo, then I'll be able to stream music from iTunes to my stereo.

However, I went into an Apple store, and the associate there told me that it does not do that - he seemed to suggest that it would basically extend the range of my wireless network, and allow me to connect only a printer.

Now I'm confused. I think the guy at the Apple store was probably wrong, but I thought I'd confirm with someone here who maybe has an Airport Express that it will do what I want.

So, can I connect an Airport Express to my stereo AUX port, and stream music over my wireless network to it?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So, can I connect an Airport Express to my stereo AUX port, and stream music over my wireless network to it?

Yes, you can.

The doofus at the store was wrong. Now... it HAS to be an "Express"... the regular Airports don't have that functionality.

The audio out on the Express is a 3.5mm minijack (like for your ipod headphones)... You'll need a computer with "Airport Utility" to initially set it up.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yes, you can.

The doofus at the store was wrong. Now... it HAS to be an "Express"... the regular Airports don't have that functionality.

The audio out on the Express is a 3.5mm minijack (like for your ipod headphones)... You'll need a computer with "Airport Utility" to initially set it up.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was probably the guy in the store who was wrong, but the people in Apple stores normally really know what they are talking about, so they had me doubting myself.

I think everything else I have should work OK with it. My wireless base station is an Airport Extreme, and I set it all up with a Mac, so I should be good in terms of having the right version of Airport Utility.

Thanks for your help.