quicktime

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi. first post.

i am a very happy macbook air user, and i am totally in love with apple once i started using their products.

however i have a little problem about quicktime.

this very elegant, fast and intuitive media player won't let me play mkv videos even with perian.

i have lion 10.7.2, and 1.2.3 perian.

please help me and show (to me and others) how useful and kind the genius bar community is.

i would love to play these formats in quicktime (and yes, i know vlc.)

than you in advance,

Pedro, portugal.

(any help is welcome)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    VLC. You can't play them in QuickTime.

Or just use HandBrake to reencode them to MP4 like I do.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

VLC. You can't play them in QuickTime.

Or just use HandBrake to reencode them to MP4 like I do.

I am going to do a quick research about handbrake, but can you tell me how efficient it is?

for example, will I be able to convert 7gb+ mkv video file? there are lots of convert programs out there, but some are expensive, others are bad, and a few are +-.

thanks for your help Tallest Skill.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I am going to do a quick research about handbrake, but can you tell me how efficient it is?

Hmm… very? Incredibly? Holy crap, this is awesome?

Something like that.

Quote:

for example, will I be able to convert 7gb+ mkv video file?

Yep. Definitely. Depending on the quality, you should be able to cut that size down a ton. You'll want to make sure to tick the box that says "64-bit" if you're making any MP4 file over 4GB, though.

Ignore the actual caution; I was just pointing out where the tickbox is. I've not found a single device on which MP4s converted with that option selected didn't work.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm? very? Incredibly? Holy crap, this is awesome?

Something like that.

Yep. Definitely. Depending on the quality, you should be able to cut that size down a ton. You'll want to make sure to tick the box that says "64-bit" if you're making any MP4 file over 4GB, though.

Ignore the actual caution; I was just pointing out where the tickbox is. I've not found a single device on which MP4s converted with that option selected didn't work.

thank you, sir.

I am going to try it right now.

one more thing (lol).. is there a explanation why mkv files can't be played with perian?

By the way, your posts in other threads are usually in line with my thoughts, however you should stop thinking that all android users are tasteless punks. For example, it was very difficult for me to buy this macbook air(best model, 1.8), at 1579? with discount, since the average person (in portugal) earns 450 per month and our prices are the highest in europe.

i would love to buy an iPhone, but even when they have all the discounts available, they cost at least 700?. I have taste, but my family needs to eat, so my parents (i am still studying mechanical engineering, i'm 20 years old.) obviously can't/shouldn't allow me to buy it. an xpheria mini pro was a big upgrade form my previous phone.

you people in the USA don't know what crisis is, really.