Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are arguing that because the "s" models are easier to design they arrived later and because the intervening models are harder to design they will come out sooner?

Are you implying that Apple starts designing each new phone at the same time every year?

What he was saying is the 's' models are easier to manufacture, so Apple can afford to release them later and still ramp up production for the holidays.

Releasing an entirely new phone earlier gives them the chance to overcome manufacturing issues before holiday season. Obviously this means they had to start designing it earlier. They don't just start designing it when they feel like it and let it come out when it comes out (and thank god they don't, imagine if Apple was like Blizzard). They pick a target release date, and work back from there to figure out when to get started.

Apple's already been working on the iPhone 5 for a while. Maybe they even started on the iPhone 5 hardware before they started working on the 4->4S hardware upgrades. Who knows what it'll look like when it comes out next year, but I guarantee you there's a prototype sitting in an Apple lab that matches those "iPhone 5 case" rumours from months ago.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Edit: 40 posts yesterday, up to 21 already today.

And not a single one attacking anybody or otherwise breaking any rules. Generally I ignore these character assassination posts, but they are getting tiresome.

Do you have any viewpoint on Google charging giant megacorporations for using its expensive IP? ISTM that Google is well within its rights to charge something for all the good work it has been doing. Without Google Maps, the iPhone would not have been nearly as good a product.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    /shrug. Bing maps cost money so I'd expect it's par for the course for Google to charge as well.

Bing cost $8000 for 1M transactions in 2009.

8 map tiles = 1 map transaction

1 geocode = 1 transaction

1 route = 1 transaction

http://rexdotnet.blogspot.com/2009/0...bing-maps.html

Google maps already cost money for app (or website) developers. Commercial map use required a Premier account that cost $10K. Evidently Bing is cheaper than Google even before this policy.

Odds are Apple has a contract already that covers their usage and SLA terms. It would be stupid not to.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

And not a single one attacking anybody or otherwise breaking any rules. Generally I ignore these character assassination posts, but they are getting tiresome.

You're guilty of "tirelessly attempting to derail threads without ever adding to the conversation." Your friend was banished. You'll be there shortly even if you are skirting the rules the of the forum eventually the mods will tire of you again. That said, I do have to give you credit for learning to troll more effectively this time around, even if I can't understand why you'd want to.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Apple may solve the problem by releasing their own mapping service. But that will only work for devices with the latest iOS leaving the original and 3G iPhones (20 millions total?!) out and potentially Apple paying for usage.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're guilty of "tirelessly attempting to derail threads without ever adding to the conversation." Your friend was banished. You'll be there shortly even if you are skimming the rules the of the forum eventually the mods will tire of you again. That said, I do have to give you credit for learning to troll more effectively this time around, even if I can't understand why you'd want to.

Yep, his MO is to look for the negative twist against Apple, Tim Cook, "execution" (an old Newtron favorite) in whatever topic he can. He generally won't post in totally good news stories. When he's not doing that, he's windbagging about how much cash or power Apple has, knowing that that's a negative in many eyes.

His motives for constantly attacking the very subject of this forum -- Apple -- are mysterious, not explainable by any psychopathology I can think of. Sinister.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    Quote:

His motives for constantly attacking the very subject of this forum -- Apple -- are mysterious, not explainable by any psychopathology I can think of. Sinister.

Throwing out a long shot here, would money explain it? I can't think of any other reason but money, but I don't really want to consider it since it's so horrifically depressing.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:

Lonely, insecure, & in of attention comes to mind.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    I'm hoping we see the new maps app debut on the next iPad during what I assume is a January/February event. While surely not the most common way to use Maps the large iPad screen would definitely showcase any slick UI designs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Throwing out a long shot here, would money explain it? I can't think of any other reason but money, but I don't really want to consider it since it's so horrifically depressing.

Or mental illness.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Quote:

Yep, his MO is to look for the negative twist against Apple, Tim Cook, "execution" (an old Newtron favorite) in whatever topic he can. He generally won't post in totally good news stories. When he's not doing that, he's windbagging about how much cash or power Apple has, knowing that that's a negative in many eyes.

If you ask me, it's jealousy and envy over Apple's success and popularity. No other company garners such attention. He tries to expose and exploit the tiniest bit of rot in an otherwise shiny Apple.

It must be pretty boring in Android fan land so he tries to instigate here to get attention.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

If you ask me, it's jealousy and envy over Apple's success and popularity. No other company garners such attention. He tries to expose and exploit the tiniest bit of rot in an otherwise shiny Apple.

It must be pretty boring in Android fan land so he tries to instigate here to get attention.

To be honest, Android fans fight too much with each other. Go to Android forums right now and talk about the Samsung galaxy SII vs an HTC and how Samsung has superior processors. You won't make it out alive.

I hate HTC users. Pricks.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:

Like on The Simpsons where the Comic Book Guy finds the stupid faults with women because of his own insecurity.

Or would that be considered: Worst? analogy? EVER!
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

Google has guaranteed that apps will not use the Google APIs. Developers cannot afford the overhead if app becomes too popular.

Of course, in the land of unintended consequences, it could help to drive Yelp! out of business, thus depriving Google with important restaurant reviews for use by it's own services.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many developers built a click counter into their apps to monitor the number of hits on a Google map. Or do they just depend on Google to count for them.

And, I wonder how this will impact realty companies and MLS services as well.

Should also point out that, if you want to use a portion of a Google map on your website, or otherwise copy it for use elsewhere, you have to obtain an annual license from Google. Last I looked, that was a $400 hit to the wallet. Will the hit charge be on top of that?

This is an interesting post from several perspectives.

Let me toss in another tidbit of information that may help clarify or muddy the discussion.

A map is a map is a map.... ...mostly just static information that you can focus on (pan zoom, etc).

Where a map starts to become interesting is when you or your interests become highlighted on that map.

We used to trace our route/progress with colored markers on a paper map -- that we kept folding and unfolding to see where we were, where we were going and what around us was interesting.

Now, we have phones and tablets with GPS and wireless connections that can do all that for us -- and more: directions; distances; alternate routes; turn-by-turn instructions... they even give us updated traffic and road/weather conditions...

So, what's left to do to maps to make them more usefull?

There may be quite a few things... but here are two:

1) programmability

2) demographics

When Apple bought PlaceBase I visited the site and spent some time going through the examples.

The maps were programmable using JavaScript -- you could dynamically show (or exclude) things based on your current interests.

You can do a limited amount of this with current maps -- but PlaceBase offers almost complete customization, e.g. a map of the US just showing mountains, lakes and state capitals -- no roads, points of interest... no nuthin'.

The other thing that PlaceBase has going for it is that it has [contractual ?] arrangements to get access to and map/present demographic data.

So, now you the user (or an app on your behalf) can create custom maps showing demographic overlays. Things such as:

-- average household income

-- number of people per household

-- number of employed per household

-- number of square feet, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. per household

-- number of automobiles per household

-- ethnicity

-- military service

-- televisions per household

-- computers, smartphones, iPads per household

-- political affiliation

-- education level

-- population density

-- Number of Android Activations per device

... Well maybe not the latter

Anyway, there are lots of different uses for this dynamic programmability and demographics tied to maps.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well Google had to work out how to monetise Android somehow!

What does this have to do with Android?

Google says that this won't affect the majority of the sites using its Maps API. the new pricing will only affect "the top 0.35% sites."

Why shouldn't they make money from this? how much money did it cost them to have all them cars out taking the street view pics, and then putting it all together? I think it's a smart move on their part.

Also, this doesn't affect the iphone as a system. I don't even know why this article was posted.....

If you're in the top .35%, you can afford the annual fee.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    deleted
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:

+1, SockRolid.! What motivates these anti-Apple fanboys to come to Apple-centric sites to poke fun at all things Apple? When I was in grade school, the less fortunate kids (not as popular, not as attractive, not as wealthy) would make fun of those who *had* because they were envious or jealous for one reason or another. Why don't they just stop looking through a hole in the fence and join us to see how much better it is?

Well, congrats.

Anywho, I prefer my Super AMOLED colors and their infinite black to any other screen any day. Define 'better'.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

To be honest, Android fans fight too much with each other. Go to Android forums right now and talk about the Samsung galaxy SII vs an HTC and how Samsung has superior processors. You won't make it out alive.

I hate HTC users. Pricks.

No thanks, I like hanging here at AI. Good, positive, constructive debate and discussion. So why do fandroids come here for malicious instigation? Just for sh*ts and giggles?
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:

deleted

Better lay off the yacht racers.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Anywho, I prefer my Super AMOLED colors and their infinite black to any other screen any day. Define 'better'.

If you make your smartphone purchases based on the screen then there is no reason to cite what is better, IMO.

What's with the personal attack? I am making a general observation based on the tone and subject of the posts that non-Apple fans make and that's how you come across.

Why don't you go to Android forums and talk about how great your AMOLED screens are? Just because the don't play nice?

I feel our discussions are much deeper and more substantial than bragging about how deep the black of my screen is. If you want to play with us, stop being an antagonist and post constructively, please.

EDIT: I was a Dick since I was born.......being that I was given the name Richard.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

No thanks, I like hanging here at AI. Good, positive, constructive debate and discussion. So why do fandroids come here for malicious instigation? Just for sh*ts and giggles?

You should remeber this is the internet.

Note the internet is analagous to policticians....