Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

If you make your smartphone purchases based on the screen then there is no reason to cite what is better, IMO.

What's with the personal attack? I am making a general observation based on the tone and subject of the posts that non-Apple fans make and that's how you come across.

Why don't you go to Android forums and talk about how great your AMOLED screens are? Just because the don't play nice?

I feel our discussions are much deeper and more substantial than bragging about how deep the black of my screen is. If you want to play with us, stop being an antagonist and post constructively, please.

The discussions on here are quite terrible actually. The best phone I've been to in a while is macrumors.

Also, Retina display is all I have to say. And it wasn't a personal attack, as you are oversensitive.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

If you ask me, it's jealousy and envy over Apple's success and popularity.

Naw. He hates our freedom.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Weird. When you say something that is seemingly opposes Apple in someway, you get an infraction. But someone says terrible things about Android, Window Phone, Linux, etc.....nothing happens.

Then they say it's an 'Ad homenim' attack. Really? Fanboy heaven, is it not?
  • Reply 84 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Weird. When you say something that is seemingly opposes Apple in someway, you get an infraction.

You're getting an infraction every time you post? I don't believe that for a second.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:

Weird. When you say something that is seemingly opposes Apple in someway, you get an infraction. But someone says terrible things about Android, Window Phone, Linux, etc.....nothing happens.

Just don't take any bait.

There's huge amounts of trolling going on by certain old-time posters here. They goad people who do not share their viewpoints, and then get nasty and personal if anyone takes their bait.

Jut don't take their bait. Stick to substance.

No problem expressing your honest viewpoints. No problem at all. But if you allow them to goad you down the merry path into irrelevant ad hom silliness, you will not win.

Ignore the insults. Stick to substance.

ObMapping: I found that the Apple Map App was useful due to simplicity for quick stuff. However, if I really wanted deep info, the MapQuest app was best.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:

We usually don't discuss anything but Apple and if we do, it's in response to a fandroid slamming Apple.

You probably got an infraction for no other reason but because you called me a dick. Duh.

It has nothing to do with being too sensitive, either. I have been hardened by immature name callers my whole life so I can take it. It was, obviously, viewed by the mods as uncalled for.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

you are preaching to the choir.

I own iMacs, mac minis, iPads, iPods, iPhones.... i can't even count....

but the simple fact is this. No company last forever. Apple lost its leader. Their time in the sun is almost over. I do not hope for it, it is a HISTORICAL fact that it WILL happen.

What, like Disney or Ford?

Historical examples of why it WON'T happen.

So here we are again, back to reality, no-one really knows the future.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're getting an infraction every time you post? I don't believe that for a second.

• Reply 89 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

According to many opinions I have heard, Samsung currently has the best hardware, producing both the Galaxy SII and the Galaxy Nexus.

begone, flashing crap

So how come they don't have Bluetooth 4.0?

Isn't that an example of "best" hardware?

I found an area where the Galaxy 2 fails abysmally, sound output, my friend has a set of Dr Dre Beats headphone's on my iPhone, his iPad, his iPhone 3GS they sounded fairly good, on a HTC Sensation and Evo 3D they sounded almost as good as the iPhone, on the Galaxy S II they sounded like rubbish, not even the Samsung reps we spoke to could explain it.

In SOME areas Samsung may have good hardware but in OTHER areas they are lacking, obviously they skimped on the audio hardware.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Maybe Google, realizing that it is about to lose its biggest client, Apple, is raising rates on the others to compensate.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

you are preaching to the choir.

I own iMacs, mac minis, iPads, iPods, iPhones.... i can't even count....

but the simple fact is this. No company last forever. Apple lost its leader. Their time in the sun is almost over. I do not hope for it, it is a HISTORICAL fact that it WILL happen.

It happens if the infrastructure and personnel let it happen.

Come back in 20 years and laugh at your soothsaying abilities.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    Quote:

"The next one" is always great.

"The most recent one" disappointed lots of people.

flashing things removed

Would you like to watch a video?
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I found an area where the Galaxy 2 fails abysmally, sound output, my friend has a set of Dr Dre Beats headphone's on my iPhone, his iPad, his iPhone 3GS they sounded fairly good, on a HTC Sensation and Evo 3D they sounded almost as good as the iPhone, on the Galaxy S II they sounded like rubbish, not even the Samsung reps we spoke to could explain it.

In SOME areas Samsung may have good hardware but in OTHER areas they are lacking, obviously they skimped on the audio hardware.

Good to know. did other headphones work well on the samsung?

Which phone company recently signed a deal with Dr. De? Was that HTC? A they known generally for better audio?

I wasn't aware that audio quality was a low priority for Samsung, but maybe I should have guessed, judging from the poor sound quality built into my otherwise perfectly nice Samsung TV.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's a term that means a lot of things, but here, we use it as another term for name calling, particularly if there's less than tasteful language in it.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Quote:

Good to know. did other headphones work well on the samsung?

Which phone company recently signed a deal with Dr. De? Was that HTC? A they known generally for better audio?

I wasn't aware that audio quality was a low priority for Samsung, but maybe I should have guessed, judging from the poor sound quality built into my otherwise perfectly nice Samsung TV.

No, they didn't, I tested with my VSonics as well as several different types of beats.

Quality of sound went iPhone>HTC>Samsung.

This was at an HTC product presentation, so we had a chance to try various combinations.

Interestingly enough the beats headphones my friend owned, didn't bring up the beats options on the HTC, although their headphones did.

HTC bought the company that makes beats and are incorporating them into their product line.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.

Not going to happen; Apple has so much cash that they can stop producing everything right now and still be profitable in 5 years from returns on investments from their cash stockpile.

Quote:

Too bad you're claiming that the most innovative company will be the one filing for bankruptcy. There is nothing flawed about being the innovator AND protecting your blatantly copied innovative products. Furthermore, Apple has been an innovative company since its founding and have accelerated their innovation for over a decade. It's in their DNA.

And even though Apple has been innovative since its founding, for the majority of their history, they haven't been doing that great. Its only in the past decade or so that Apple has really taken off.

Apple has a bright future ahead of it, but don't assume that their success is guaranteed in the long term. Because people have thought the same about companies such as GM and Microsoft, and it hasn't exactly panned out.

Quote:

I feel our discussions are much deeper and more substantial than bragging about how deep the black of my screen is. If you want to play with us, stop being an antagonist and post constructively, please.

Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face reading that. AI may have occasional good article, but of all the tech sites I follow, AI ranks near the bottom in terms of meaningful discussions, especially if they involve any party other than Apple.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face reading that. AI may have occasional good article, but of all the tech sites I follow, AI ranks near the bottom in terms of meaningful discussions, especially if they involve any party other than Apple.

I disagree with AI being at the bottom of your tech journalism list, but I think DP was referring to the forum discussions not AI's article.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:

I disagree with AI being at the bottom of your tech journalism list, but I think DP was referring to the forum discussions not AI's article.

I was referring to the forum discussion in my post. But if you want to bring up articles, even AI's are somewhat subpar.

Case in point, compare AI's in depth review of the iPhone 4S:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._5.html#update

to Anandtech's:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/1

Now granted, Anand actually does this for a living (don't think I can say the same about DED), but the difference in the amount of actual analysis and information presented in those two reviews is leagues apart.

AI does have the occasional scoop and gems, which keeps me checking back every once in a while; I just wish the majority of articles here had a little more depth to them.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I was referring to the forum discussion in my post. But if you want to bring up articles, even AI's are somewhat subpar.

Case in point, compare AI's in depth review of the iPhone 4S:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._5.html#update

to Anandtech's:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/1

Now granted, Anand actually does this for a living (don't think I can say the same about DED), but the difference in the amount of actual analysis and information presented in those two reviews is leagues apart.

AI does have the occasional scoop and gems, which keeps me checking back every once in a while; I just wish the majority of articles here had a little more depth to them.

1) You're axiomatically wrong about AI's forum quality.

2) AI and AnandTech aren't writing for the same audience. AnandTech did a great in depth technical review, but it's a very narrow field of readers that want to know about optical grade plastics for camera lens or the increased bandwidth on the memory interface. It's a complexly different focus.

3) I think AI staff are paid, save for forum mods, so we can say they also do it for a living.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:

1) You're axiomatically wrong about AI's forum quality.

I doubt we'll come to an agreement here. I don't even wanna get started on the trolling / fanboy-ism here. Post anything criticizing apple in any way, regardless of how valid or well structured your argument is, and you will get called an apple-hater or an astro-turfer or whatever the new favorite term of the month is.

Quote:

2) AI and AnandTech aren't writing for the same audience. AnandTech did a great in depth technical review, but it's a very narrow field of readers that want to know about optical grade plastics for camera lens or the increased bandwidth on the memory interface. It's a complexly different focus.

True; Anandtech targets a much more technically-inclined audience, but I judge all reviews by the amount of original testing data and/or analysis provided. the AI review read like a rehash of the marketing material from Apple; I didn't read much actual testing with the device; definitely not enough to warrant being called 'in-depth' imo.

Quote:

3) I think AI staff are paid, save for forum mods, so we can say they also do it for a living.

Then I'll be even less forgiving