Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    You mean the iPad nano?



    The Touch didn't get updated this year, and usually gets updated in September several months after the iPhone update.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    I think it's only fair. It does cost Google money to develop and operate Maps API. $4 per 1,000 views seem a tad excessive by Google's standard though, although Google fanboys may argue that Google is giving you up to $10,000/day free (25,000 free views).



    One thing for sure. I think it will turn many map-based apps and websites into using alternate maps API (e.g., Bing).
  • Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    "Next Summer's iPhone" won't likely be released until next Fall.



    You most likely pulled that info out of your ass?
  • Reply 24 of 101
    The releases this year were mucked up due to Verizon coming on board. they couldn't hardly release a new phone in June when the Verizon folks had only just gotten their phones.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post


    You most likely pulled that info out of your ass?



    In what way doesn't that make complete sense?



    I'm not going to explain it until you do. You need to know yourself why it makes sense.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post


    Well Google had to work out how to monetise Android somehow!



    Actually, Android users won't have to pay. So what this is, it's another way to SUBSIDIZE Android!
  • Reply 27 of 101
    In 5 years there will be four vertically integrated companies that will dominate the industry:



    Apple

    Google

    Microsoft

    Facebook



    These companies will never collaborate with each other. Each company will have its own mapping software, its own OSs for phones, desktops and tablets, its own productivity software, its own hardware manufacturing companies, its own cloud services, etc. etc. Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.



    These four companies will effectively be clones of each other, with some differentiation due to the origins of the company (Apple for example will still have the best hardware and Microsoft the best game platform).



    Families will choose a company at the birth of a child, as the lock-in will be extreme, to the extent that one's middle name will be the company you are pledged to for life.



    Signed,



    Jon Apple Orom



    \
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    The 4S was not a major redesign and so they could ramp up production quickly before the the big holiday buying season.



    If the iPhone 5 is a major redesign, they would not be able to ramp up as quickly. As a result they will want to release the the phone well before the holidays so they can have adequate supply for the peak season.



    The 5S will probably be a minor redesign and will take place in the fall of 2013.



    As far as I can see this makes even less sense.



    You are arguing that because the "s" models are easier to design they arrived later and because the intervening models are harder to design they will come out sooner?



    I think you stepped through the looking glass by mistake.



    I suppose black is really white also?
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    Street view is also something they'll need to mimic.



    And it will be yet another case of Google copying off iOS...

  • Reply 30 of 101
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post


    Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.



    I find it hard to believe that Facebook will be getting into the OS & Office suite business. But I have been wrong before - like my prediction of next summer's iPhone
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post


    In 5 years there will be four vertically integrated companies that will dominate the industry:



    Apple

    Google

    Microsoft

    Facebook



    These companies will never collaborate with each other. Each company will have its own mapping software, its own OSs for phones, desktops and tablets, its own productivity software, its own hardware manufacturing companies, its own cloud services, etc. etc. Facebook has the steepest hill to climb, because Facebook still has to develop its own office suite, OS, etc.



    These four companies will effectively be clones of each other, with some differentiation due to the origins of the company (Apple for example will still have the best hardware and Microsoft the best game platform).



    Families will choose a company at the birth of a child, as the lock-in will be extreme, to the extent that one's middle name will be the company you are pledged to for life.



    Signed,



    Jon Apple Orom



    \



    If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arasu View Post


    If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.



    before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.



    +1



  • Reply 33 of 101
    It's all speculation about why Google has done this. So let me speculate.



    Maybe we are putting the cart before the horse in wondering how it affects Apple's contract with Google (which we outsiders do not no). It could mean Google realizes that Apple is close to abandoning Google's cash cow in Apple's royalties and is setting the stage to makeup for the lost in profits.



    We are not privy to the details but it is possible that the contract with Apple is probably open-ended and at a flat rate for use on the maps API. IMO this is probably better speculation of why Google is making this move. The timing might have little to do with Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.



    +1







    +30



    I would love to see this. But not really, as Mr. Jobs is gone so it has no bearing.





    Actually, I would love to just acquire the companies my self. I'd merge Samsung and Apple. I'd combine Nintenod and Microsoft. Then I'd declare a NEW WORLD ORDER.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    Google has guaranteed that apps will not use the Google APIs. Developers cannot afford the overhead if app becomes too popular.



    Of course, in the land of unintended consequences, it could help to drive Yelp! out of business, thus depriving Google with important restaurant reviews for use by it's own services.



    Out of curiosity, I wonder how many developers built a click counter into their apps to monitor the number of hits on a Google map. Or do they just depend on Google to count for them.



    And, I wonder how this will impact realty companies and MLS services as well.



    Should also point out that, if you want to use a portion of a Google map on your website, or otherwise copy it for use elsewhere, you have to obtain an annual license from Google. Last I looked, that was a $400 hit to the wallet. Will the hit charge be on top of that?
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    before the fan boys crucify you for saying this, let me just get this in real quick.



    +1







    And what history are you basing this off-the-wall prediction?
  • Reply 37 of 101
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    Sounds like maps will be the big software feature in next summer's iPhone. Hopefully it will include Siri giving turn-by-turn directions.



    Agree. And hopefully Apple will open up the Siri API to developers in iOS 6.0. It's one thing to have Siri built into the system. It's another to let developers build it into their apps. That would be awesome.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arasu View Post


    If we go by history, my guess is in 5 or so years Apple will be near bankruptcy and Google will be bailing it out.



    And if we go by history, my guess is in 15 years Apple will own half the planet and they will be bailing out the US Government.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post


    Google has guaranteed that apps will not use the Google APIs. Developers cannot afford the overhead if app becomes too popular.



    I think that's the biggest consideration. This sure makes it harder for people to trust Google's "free" software and services.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    And what history are you basing this off-the-wall prediction?



    how about Atari.



    OWNED the gaming market and then spent all their time suing everyone instead of being innovative.....
Sign In or Register to comment.