Developers experiencing activation issues with iOS 5.0.1 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A number of developers have reported being unable to activate their devices with Apple's new iOS 5.0.1 beta, AppleInsider has learned.

According to a person familiar with the matter, more than 20 developers have already warned others on the Apple Developer Forum to avoid the beta for now.

"I've just updated my iPod to iOS 5.0.1 and I get this error from iTunes and on my iPod. I've been using this iPod as a beta device since iOS 5 beta 1," wrote one tipster.

"This device is not registered as apart of the iPhone Developer Program.##br####br##if you are a member of the Program, please register your device in the iPhone Developer Program Portal," the error read.

Another developer also reportedly received the same error with an iPhone and had to restore the device to iOS 5.0 through iTunes. The developer then tried unsuccessfully to reload 5.0.1 again before deciding to wait for further guidance from Apple.

Apple confirmed on Wednesday that the iOS 5.0 software is causing battery life issues on some devices. The company promised an upcoming software update would address the problem and released an initial beta of iOS 5.0.1, build 9a402, to developers.

"?A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices,? Apple told AllThingsD. ?We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks.?

Other improvements in iOS 5.0.1 include:

Fixes bugs affecting battery life

Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad

Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud

Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation

Contains security improvements

iOS 5.0.1 beta introduces a new way for developers to specify files that should remain on device, even in low storage situations."

Multiple users who had experienced battery troubles reported being contacted by Apple engineers last month as the company searched for an explanation for the issue. As of Wednesday evening, an Apple support thread regarding on iPhone 4S battery life has received 3,148 replies and over 200,000 views.

Apple released iOS 5 on Oct. 12, adding support for wireless syncing, iCloud and Notification Center. For more information, see AppleInsider's in-depth review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I updated fine. I wonder if they have to perhaps reissue certificates?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Really? I just updated 3 devices.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    zyxzyx Posts: 4member
    I'm not a dev and I just installed 5.0.1 on my 4S fine. It works for the past hour or so...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I did an "Option + Check for Update" and it worked on 2 devices.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Tried to update my old 3GS and it wouldn't activate, I thought it was me. At least I'm not alone.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    A workaround for this issue is available in the iOS 5 beta section on the Apple Developer Forums.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Beta software is not ready for release... news at 11.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Beta software is not ready for release... news at 11.

Yes. Why is this news?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    HELP!!!! I upgraded to 5.0.1 and it seems like screen transition gets stuck when i

hit the home button. I have to press sometimes 3 times to get back. Anyone having the same

problem? Anyways I also found this video if anyone finds out what it is please shed some

light on it...look like a transparent keyboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayq86laTL_k
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmostreet78 View Post

HELP!!!! I upgraded to 5.0.1 and it seems like screen transition gets stuck when i hit the home button. I have to press sometimes 3 times to get back. Anyone having the same problem?

Try a clean install. Did you do it OTL or from iTunes?

Quote:

Anyways I also found this video if anyone finds out what it is please shed some light on it...look like a transparent keyboard?

Absolutely a hoax.