Rumor: Suppliers say Apple will overhaul all product lines in 2012

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is rumored to be planning a complete overhaul for each of its product lineups, including the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air, next year, according to sources within the company's supply chain.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes cited on Thursday "sources in the upstream supply chain" who claim Apple will revamp all of its product lines over the course of the next calendar year. But, given that the publication only went on to specifically mention the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air lines, it's not clear whether a rumored overhaul will come to unmentioned products such as the MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro and iPod.

According to the report, an iPad upgrade will come early in 2012, while a next-generation iPhone and iMac are expected in the second half of next year.

Sources said Apple will finalize "order volumes for key parts and components" for the third-generation iPad in December. Manufacturers may produce as many as two million units by the end of the year, they added.

Apple has reportedly submitted two prototypes to suppliers, code-named J1 and J2, with different LED and flat panel requirements. That may fall in line with a recent report that suggested display makers are readying a 1,600 x 1,200 resolution "interim option" for the next-gen iPad display in case they have trouble ramping up production of a rumored double-resolution 2,046 x 1,536 screen.

A separate report from DigiTimes on Thursday suggested that Apple will release the new iPad in March 2012, but insiders claimed that the device would be viewed by the company only as an update to the current iPad 2. A "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest, upstream supply chain sources said.

Tipsters said the upgraded iPad 2 would be thinner and have longer battery life, with "small volume shipments" beginning in the fourth quarter of this year because of the Chinese New Year holiday in January.

Though DigiTimes has well-placed sources within Apple's supply chain, it has been inconsistent with its Apple product predictions in recent years. Given that Thursday's reports are highly speculative and provide few details, they should be taken with a dose of skepticism.

Rumors of a high-resolution iPad 3 have persisted for the better part of 2011. Production constraints and pricing issues have been cited as difficulties that could prevent Apple from adopting the displays, which approach Retina-like quality.

One product expected to see a drastic overhaul next year is the MacBook Pro. Apple quietly updated its high-end notebook lineup last week while it waits for Intel's Ivy Bridge processors to arrive in the first half of 2012. A significant redesign is rumored to accompany the Ivy Bridge chips, and could incorporate a number of MacBook Air features, such as instant-on, standard SSD drives, slimmer enclosures and the omission of optical drives.

The company is said to be testing an ultra-thin 15-inch MacBook that "seems to fill" the role of a next-generation MacBook Pro.

As for the Mac Pro, its fate remains unclear, as AppleInsider recently reported that Apple management may soon pull the plug on its full-sized workstation. As Mac sales have increasingly skewed toward portables and the iMac, profits from the Mac Pro have reportedly dried up at the company. The versatility of the Thunderbolt connector is also expected to reduce some of the Mac Pro's niche appeal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is rumored to be planning a complete overhaul for each of its product lineups, including the iPad, iMac, iPhone and MacBook Air, next year, according to sources within the company's supply chain.

That seems unlikely. A complete overhaul? Of everything?

I note that the sentence I quoted says both "each of its product[s]", but then includes a list which excludes the MBP and the iPods. It is hard to imagine.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Whoopeeeee

Now all I have to do is 'find' enough money to replace my iMac, MBP, MBA, iPhone(s), MTV, etc etc.... \
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Nope.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Can we at least expect them to update all their computer-based products?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I note that the sentence I quoted says both "each of its product[s]", but then includes a list which excludes the MBP and the iPods. It is hard to imagine.

Well my MBP is starting to show it's age early 2010 entry level 13". It's not that old, and it works just fine. However it's future capability is limited, plus this was meant to be my mobile computer before the iPad came out, so it was purchased for battery life and weight instead of the large more capable ones. So if the 2012 design chance and a big enough upgrade in capability comes along i might end up with a 15.

We will just have to see what happens when it happens.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Digitimes rumors are wrong >90% of the time.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Yawn.

And we get a new president next year, too.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Yawn.

Hopefully not!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope.

Another rumor that's just SETTING US UP for a big disappointment.

Don't fall for it. It happens when it happens.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    I'm very curious about the Mac Pro. Since the 27" iMac came along the Mac Pro struck me as really awful value compared to the iMac.

With the iMac, the 27" display is just plain fantastic, and with the latest Thunderbolt model you can attach up to two extra 27" displays, which seems like it should be more than enough for 99.99% of users.

I notice that on a message board where people were bragging about their setups, a majority were using 27" iMacs where only a few years ago they would have had Mac Pros.

So there are a couple of reasons why people would buy Mac Pros.

First is more processor cores. Hopefully next year's redesign of the iMac can give us those. Otherwise why not get multiple iMacs? Right now we have the i7 (which I own) with 8 processor cores; two iMacs are 16 processor cores and still much cheaper than the 16 core Mac Pro. With Apple's distributed computing setup, I would think this could work out.

Right now, I have a previous generation (non-thunderbolt) 27" iMac. If I upgrade next year and buy another, I will have 16 cores - all I need to do is combine the two machines through networking protocols that already exist. That's also a nice way of keeping my old computer (which is still very powerful) active and used.

Second is those who hate glossy displays. I feel your pain. But isn't a matte display just a different kind of coating? Could someone make a surprising amount of money running a business taking the 27" glossy displays and converting them to matte?

Finally we have more storage options - but with Thunderbolt RAID storage we can duplicate that at much lower cost.

Unless the Xeon processors are a lot more powerful than the i5/i7 in the iMacs, it seems to me that multiple iMacs would be how to go - and you get free additional displays each time you upgrade. So if you, like me, want an office like Dr Evil's lair, you can work towards that each time you buy a new iMac .

Thoughts?

D
  • Reply 11 of 64
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    We know the iPad is meant for an update somewhere around March/April unless it is delayed for somewhere. By the way, why was the iPhone 4S delayed?

The iMac was last updated in May, so it is safe to assume that a new one is right around the corner.

The MacBook Air was updated in July, probably won't see a new one before March.

The iPhone was just updated, we are lucky if the new one comes in June of next year.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Yawn.

Gawd, I hope so.

Oh, and DigiTimes is a laugh riot.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Digitimes rumors are wrong >90% of the time.

More like 99% of the time. Which makes me think their source is Shaw Wu.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I'm not claiming Digitimes is a legit rumors source, but at the same token this can be very likely.

It's been at least 3 years since the MB Pro has been re-designed. God knows how many years for the Mac Pro. There's enough rumors of an iPad 3. With the iPhone 4S come and gone, there's a very good chance iPhone 5 will be a re-design. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been at least 2 to 3 years since the current aluminum-body iMac has been kicking around, so it's due for an overhaul.

It's not a guarantee, but chances are good there's a serious round of revamped hardware coming next year.

Wish I had surplus cash flow.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

It's been at least 3 years since the MB Pro has been re-designed.

The last redesign lasted for five and a half years.

Quote:

God knows how many years for the Mac Pro.

2003, so seven.

Quote:

iPhone 5

SIX. FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY, SIX.

Quote:

at least 2 to 3 years since the current aluminum-body iMac has been kicking around

Aught eight, so three.

But the prior case lasted for four years and the one before that over 3.5. And the first case was around for four (and five if you count the spec bumps in 2003).
  • Reply 16 of 64
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Well I can see some of them being refreshed. I wouldn't mind seeing an iPad 3 with better graphics and a 8MP camera. I wouldn't mind selling my iPad 1 and upgrading. An iPhone 5 would be nice. Probably won't see that till Q4 2012. I never have had a desire to own a MacBook Air though. I prefer a MacBook Pro myself. More power and built in DVD Burner. I would say the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 would be the biggest upgrades of the 2012 year.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A separate report from DigiTimes suggested that Apple will release a new iPad in March 2012, but the device would be viewed only as an update to the current iPad 2. A "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest, upstream supply chain sources said.

they said the same thing about the iPad 2 and it didn't happen then either
  • Reply 18 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they said the same thing about the iPad 2 and it didn't happen then either

The Irelandian Rule says that if you predict an evolution of tech long enough your chances of it being somewhat right will eventually come true.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Well my MBP is starting to show it's age early 2010 entry level 13". It's not that old, and it works just fine. However it's future capability is limited, plus this was meant to be my mobile computer before the iPad came out, so it was purchased for battery life and weight instead of the large more capable ones. So if the 2012 design chance and a big enough upgrade in capability comes along i might end up with a 15.

We will just have to see what happens when it happens.

Dude, u had that MBP for 1.5 yrs, at best. It's not old, it's not showing its age and I'm sure it's more than capable to handle whatever u throw at it. My entry level 13" MBP it's a mid '09 model and after I upgraded both its OS (Lion) and memory (8 GB), it kicks ass! so relax man and enjoy what u have, jeez!

That said, I'm in no hurry, but my ideal next MBP would be 15", slimmer, lighter, faster and it would sport a nice and sexy optical drive. you hear that Apple?! please step away from the optical drive, thx.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    I'm so excited!

Shogun of the Macintosh

IronTed