Apple stockpiling 2M third-gen iPad units by end of 2011

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
To ensure it has enough supply of a thinner, higher-resolution third-generation iPad at launch next year, Apple reportedly plans to have around 2 million units already built by the end of 2011.

Citing sources in the company's upstream supply chain, DigiTimes reported this week that Apple has tasked its suppliers with the development of two tablet projects, code-named "J1" and "J2." Both of the new models are said to have different sizes, specifications and technologies from the currently available iPad 2.

Both new models reportedly in development have a higher-resolution screen than the current iPad model, and Apple is said to have demanded that the displays feature two LED light bars on the left and right sides of the screen. The adoption of two LED light bars is said to have created problems in shrinking the thickness of the next-generation iPad, prompting some vendors to create designs with one light bar and two LED chips.

The report claimed the resolution of the next iPad will be 2,047 by 1,536 pixels, but difficulty with the higher resolution and new LED backlight design has "affected the launch schedule" of the next-generation device. Still, the necessary components began arriving at the end of October, and accumulated inventory of the new iPad is expected to reach about two million units by the end of December.

"The sources pointed out that the J2 project seems to be an upgrade version of the J1 and although Apple has not yet decided which project will be used for the final launch, Apple is likely to make the final decision based on its needs," the report said. "As for the upstream side, the component suppliers have already conducted pilot production and prepared for mass production."

The details seem to contrast with an earlier report from DigiTimes, which claimed that a "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest. It claimed that the new iPad released in March of 2012 would simply be an upgraded iPad 2.

The report also added that suppliers have already begun "proofing" for the next-generation iPhone, and production of the handset is expected to begin in June of 2012. Apple's new iPhone 4S went on sale in numerous countries around the world last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Put me down as sceptical on the dates.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing sources in the company's upstream supply chain, DigiTimes reported this week that Apple has tasked its suppliers with the development of two tablet projects, code-named "J1" and "J2." Both of the new models are said to have different sizes, specifications and technologies from the currently available iPad 2.

I call bullshit.

We all know that Apple tested the size extensively. They created prototypes of every likely size, they tested them all and determined that the size of the iPad was optimal.

Now we are to believe that Apple will release iPads which are sub-optimal?

Bullshit.

• Reply 3 of 44
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Call it nitpicking if you like, but the statement "...Apple has tasked its suppliers with the development of two tablet projects..." would mean that Apple is no longer doing its own designs. And I don't believe that for a nanosecond.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:

The details seem to contrast with an earlier report from DigiTimes, which claimed that a "real iPad 3" would not arrive until the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest. It claimed that the new iPad released in March of 2012 would simply be an upgraded iPad 2.

I don't understand why reports that claim Apple will release a new product only to release a massively better upgrade a few months later are given any weight. We heard this with the iPhone 5 rumors and now we are getting it with the iPad rumors. Apple has never done anything like this. Why would they? Apple seems to have figured out that demand for its devices seems to run on a year cycle (look at the drop in iPhone 4 sales in the months leading up to the 4S). If Apple releases a new device before that year is up, not only will it piss off a bunch of customers whose devices have become obsolete prematurely, it will also be cannibalizing its own sales because demand had not yet dried up for the old product. Either we will see an iPad "2S" type device next year or a true iPad 3. We won't see both.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Call it nitpicking if you like, but the statement "...Apple has tasked its suppliers with the development of two tablet projects..." would mean that Apple is no longer doing its own designs. And I don't believe that for a nanosecond.

Perhaps 'construction' would have been a better fit?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Code:

rm -f apple_stockpiling_2m_third_gen_ipad_units_by_end_o f_2011.html

• Reply 7 of 44
    Twice 1024 x 768 is 2048 x 1536, not 2047 x 1536. Just pointing that out...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

Code:

rm -f apple_stockpiling_2m_third_gen_ipad_units_by_end_o f_2011.html

Agreed. this one looks like it belongs in the trash heap. There should be a rating system at AI to grade the rumors, say on a scale of one to five, five being "99% sure." This one would be a 2. Maybe a one.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Patiently waiting for an iPad3, whenever it arrives.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

this is the same thing that they said last year also so it's no shock that they might not be correct.

Also, in regards to the talk of different sizes etc, if they have sources that know this than they should be able to tell us details. So where are they. If they know there was a problem then they should know what the problem was. Not a 'maybe' but confirmed.

Given that digitimes has a reliability rating so low that many think their source is actually Shaw Wu, a lack of details just adds to the feeling that this is BS. Not so much the notion that Apple might already have the next iPad in production. If they are aiming for an early 2012 release that is possible. But the whole super resolution, implication of another physical size etc just doesn't mesh.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

This could be in respect of the screens and the illumination necessary to meet performance goals. If so, this implies even finer grained involvement of Apple engineers in the overall design process, which would not be a surprise at all right?

Best.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Everything AI says about the so called iPad 3 is wrong or speculative, down to the name, shape, screen resolution, and design. It's going to be called iPad 4S and it will look exactly like the current one, leading bloggers to dismiss it as "disappointing". Then everyone will line up for and it will be the best selling iPad ever. The next day Ashtok Kumar will predict the real iPad 5 will ship "later that year" with all the missing features that the bloggers complained about.

That's my prediction
  • Reply 13 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Patiently waiting for an iPad3, whenever it arrives.

June 2012, announced at WWDC, the spot formerly occupied by the iPhone.

The idea that they are stockpiling inventory of a new tablet now, to be released shortly after the holiday shopping season, would seem to defy reason. More likely, they are stockpiling inventory of the current iPad 2 for the holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

June 2012, announced at WWDC, the spot formerly occupied by the iPhone.

The idea that they are stockpiling inventory of a new tablet now, to be released shortly after the holiday shopping season, would seem to defy reason. More likely, they are stockpiling inventory of the current iPad 2 for the holiday shopping season.

Agreed. Stockpiling the iPad 3 while holiday shoppers are lined up for iPad 2s would not be good PR. Which might be part of the reason they got off that January Macworld schedule.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    lol DigiTimes.

The National Enquirer for geeks.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Put me down as sceptical on the dates.

Heck, put me down as skeptical about the whole article.

It's Digitimes.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Heck, put me down as skeptical about the whole article.

It's Digitimes.

I take your pont. I would think Apple will build up a good supply of iPad 3s when the time comes for sure, hence my focus on dates.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I call bullshit.

We all know that Apple tested the size extensively. They created prototypes of every likely size, they tested them all and determined that the size of the iPad was optimal.

Now we are to believe that Apple will release iPads which are sub-optimal?

Bullshit.

Perhaps they meant 2 different screen resolutions?

Quote:

To ensure it has enough supply of a thinner, higher-resolution third-generation iPad at launch next year, Apple reportedly plans to have around 2 million units already built by the end of 2011.

Since we haven't yet heard that the next A series chip has hit the foundry I wouldn't put that much stock in this rumor.

From the article, "The adoption of two LED light bars is said to have created problems in shrinking the thickness of the next-generation iPad, prompting some vendors to create designs with one light bar and two LED chips."

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I understand how l.e.d.'s work in flashlights and presumably its similar theory with back lighting a lcd and that sentence makes no fracken sense to me. Can anyone elaborate?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Both new models reportedly in development have a higher-resolution screen than the current iPad model, and Apple is said to have demanded that the displays feature two LED light bars on the left and right sides of the screen. The adoption of two LED light bars is said to have created problems in shrinking the thickness of the next-generation iPad, prompting some vendors to create designs with one light bar and two LED chips.

I can believe that... but that worries me if we'll have to go through another LCD screen lottery:

Open box -> check serial -> determine LCD manufacturer -> return and replace if it's ______
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

lol DigiTimes.

The National Enquirer for geeks.

Yes. These guys just make up nonsense to drive traffic to their pages.

They are wrong more often than a stopped clock.