while watching "the cosby show" i doodled a digital device/hub

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hello!

while watching "the cosby show" 1:50am, i doodled some sort of a device/hub. a digital device that sits on top of a dvd player/home entertainment system. i thought it would be useful to have a device that records t.v. shows, movies digitally (like "tivo"), and also links my home entertainment system with my powerbook/macintosh wirelessly. so i can play music using "iTunes" on my macintosh loudly on my stereo, display pictures using "iPhotos" on my t.v., etc. all wirelessly. some sort of a device that wirelessly connects my macintosh (with airport card) to my home entertainment system. what do you think? let me know..... thank you and have a brilliant day!

email me! [email protected]

sleepy.... sleepy....

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/protodada/PhotoAlbum1.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/protodada/PhotoAlbum1.html</a>;

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: ProtoDAda ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    For a good case study on what you're envisioning, you should take a look at <a href="http://www.bang-olufsen.com"; target="_blank">the company</a> that is already doing it. Bang & Olufsen created a method of linking one's AV systems together throughout an entire house, called Beolink. With tthis system, you can send audio or video to any room in the house, so long as that room is linked to the main system. They even have a piece of software, albeit for Windows only, that allows you to get your computer in on the fun as well. B&O even sells a module that allows you to control other companies equipment with your B&O remote. Speaking as a proud owner of a handful of B&O products, I can tell you it works in a most beautiful fashion

Yeah, it's not *exactly* what you're talking about, but it's damn close, and as I said, probably a good case study for your idea. Sure, it's all quite expensive and proprietary, but that's sort of what Apple is too ;-)

As for your idea, I think it's nice... it just isn't going to be Apple that does it anytime soon. I don't see it fitting into their strategy as it exists today.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    i love b & o too. i do own beosystem, etc. it is old, but the glass door still slides open every time i swipe my hand.... i always thought apple seem to make machines that i say... "wow, 'that' is the best of 'that' kind of machine." apple always made an existing product better and user friedly. i love apple, had a mac since '85 (thanks mom!). i was hoping apple can make something like this, and make it really work... i think this might change the whole entertainment system set up for most people.

thank you for your reply. have a great day! :-)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It looks like you've just become one of MOSR's sources.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hello!

isn't that funny? i just read that too. perhaps i will finally get to purchase what i wanted apple to make in near future...... i hope.....

wait... what else would i love to see apple make... i better go doodle some more devices.... let's watch "the jetsons!"

:-)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    DIDN'T APPLE SAY (THROUGH DAVID COURSEY(??)) THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO RELEASE ANY ENTERTAINMENT DEVICES IN THE NEXT 24 MONTHS?????????

i took that to mean that they wouldn't release any set top box, like the one you drew...that's just what i thought they meant....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>DIDN'T APPLE SAY (THROUGH DAVID COURSEY(??)) THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO RELEASE ANY ENTERTAINMENT DEVICES IN THE NEXT 24 MONTHS?????????

i took that to mean that they wouldn't release any set top box, like the one you drew...that's just what i thought they meant....</strong><hr></blockquote>

He didn't say he actually thought Apple was going to do that.

Anyway, sounds good. Now if it were just wireless and used AirPort instead of the unnecessary ports.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    vvedgevvedge Posts: 41member
    Yea, and when Steve Jobs fell of his toilet while changing a lightbulb, he hit his head and drew a picture of Firewire....

A flux what?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Isn't this the device you are talking about?<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010434323"; target="_blank">Ebay Listing for Apple Set Top Box</a>

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: geobe ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello!

yes something like that box apple made few years ago (i actually don't know exactly what that black apple box does)..... but also can link your home entertainment system and your computer wirelessly (via airport card). you can plug your t.v., stereo system ,etc on to this device, and you can link this device to your computer/powerbook wirelessly via airport card. (run on sentence!) :-) so you can play iTunes on your computer and play outloud on your stereo without actually connecting your computer to the back of stereo everytime you want to listen to music from the computer. and also this device can record t.v. shows, etc like "tivo," thus replacing vcr, etc.

it's something i just thought would be very clever to have... not necessarily what apple would actually make.... :-)

but who knows....

have a great week!

regards,

kimh

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: ProtoDAda ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The black apple set top box was more of an experiment into interactive TV with British Telecom I believe. I have one of those little black boxes, and I have an old hard drive with some of the original content that was tested for streaming over it. A few web sites online have a more in-depth history of the device, but basically, the old Apple Set Top Box was just an experiment with interactive television, nothing more