Apple donates iPads for Oregon test program to help disabled voters

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has donated an initial batch of five iPads to the state of Oregon for a trial program designed to replace specialized laptops set up for disabled voters.

Oregon is pioneering the use of a new technology for voting: Apple's iPad, according to the Associated Press. Five counties will participate in a trial program for a special election on Tuesday using the iPads donated by Apple.

Election workers are taking the iPads and printers around to "parks, nursing homes and community centers" in search of voters who have difficulty with traditional paper ballots, the report said. Voters simply, call up the ballot, tap the screen to choose a candidate, then print it out. But, technically, citizens aren't using the iPad to actually vote, as they still need to print out the ballots and either drop them off at a ballot box or in the mail.

The custom iPad app, which cost the state $75,000 to develop, allows users to adjust the font size and colors and will read out candidates' names and instructions. For those with limited mobility, a "sip-and-puff" device can be attached to the iPad. Voters with their own Bluetooth-capable accessibility devices, such as joysticks and paddles, can also connect them to the iPads.

"It's a lot simpler for me. I think it's a great setup they got," said 75-year-old voter Lewis Crews after using the iPad to fill out and print a ballot.

Oregon voter Lewis Crews uses an iPad to generate his ballot. Credit: AP Photo/Rick Bowmer.

Should the state decides to implement the program across all counties, it will need at least 72 iPads, which would cost roughly $36,000.

Oregon's previous set up included modified laptops that required two suitcases, but the equipment had become long in the tooth. The state spent over $325,000 toward accessible voting tools in the most recent two-year budget cycle, the report noted.

However, some feel that the system's reliance on paper ballots is limiting to visually impaired voters, who would be unable to double-check their printed ballots.

"Any time you start using paper, then people who are blind can't see it, and they would then need assistance. That's what we're trying to get away from." said Curt Decker, director of the lobby group National Disability Rights Network. "People with disabilities should be able to vote independently and privately. That is our goal."

For its part, Apple has paid special attention to the accessibility features in iOS and the iPad. In September, Blind musician Steve Wonder recognized those efforts, thanking Apple co-founder Steve Jobs for making it so that "there's nothing on the iPhone or iPad that you can do that I can't do."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I can just see the lawyers lining up to get their lawsuits in early...

Bad, bad, move Apple... No good intention goes unchallanged by the legals...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can just see the lawyers lining up to get their lawsuits in early...

Bad, bad, move Apple... No good intention goes unchallanged by the legals...

A lawsuit devoid of facts is nothing for Apple to trouble itself about. The equivalent of a touchscreen interface that is more portable than a laptop that normally would be taken around for those disabled makes their job easier.

How is this ripe for a lawsuit?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I live in Oregon. I am a voter. Oregon has one of the highest turn out for voting because of Vote by mail. If the state release a app for me vote by a mobile device than that is a good thing.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Considering how left-leaning Apple's higher-ups are, this might be bad news. I wonder if ACORN is getting any iPads delivered.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

Considering how left-leaning Apple's higher-ups are, this might be bad news. I wonder if ACORN is getting any iPads delivered.

I suppose it WAS inevitable that a normal, unpolitical Apple news article about the concept of voting would turn political.

I'm just disheartened that it happened this quickly.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

A lawsuit devoid of facts is nothing for Apple to trouble itself about. The equivalent of a touchscreen interface that is more portable than a laptop that normally would be taken around for those disabled makes their job easier.

How is this ripe for a lawsuit?

It's called "voting"... That attracts lawsuits... "Hanging chads" == "sloppy touches"...

I actually have some experience in this -- I was with IBM when they owned VotoMatic...

... Been there...

...disaster begging to happen!...

...bad, bad... badder...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I suppose it WAS inevitable that a normal, unpolitical Apple news article about the concept of voting would turn political.

Since when is voting unpolitical?

Wait and watch... Apple will be sued if this gains wide adoption...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

You're right, poor choice of words, I guess.

Quote:

I can see if it's specific organizations buying up iPads, installing said app, and going around to places with the intent of getting people to vote their way that there would be a problem. Absolutely.

Or if Apple were involved in some way and actively pushing an agenda.

But in a future where it's the federal (and state/local for other elections) government(s) as a whole actively suggesting people download a specialized voting app onto their iDevices (and I suppose there would be one made up for Android/Windows Phone 7, too) to vote, I don't think there'd be a problem.

As long as it's a government suggestion for people and not a special interest group's decision.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

You're right, poor choice of words, I guess.

I can see if it's specific organizations buying up iPads, installing said app, and going around to places with the intent of getting people to vote their way that there would be a problem. Absolutely.

Or if Apple were involved in some way and actively pushing an agenda.

But in a future where it's the federal (and state/local for other elections) government(s) as a whole actively suggesting people download a specialized voting app onto their iDevices (and I suppose there would be one made up for Android/Windows Phone 7, too) to vote, I don't think there'd be a problem.

As long as it's a government suggestion for people and not a special interest group's decision.

You're trying to use logic...

Logic has no place when there is the possibity of gaining a political advantage...

...or a lawsuit for same!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

You're trying to use logic...

Logic has no place when there is the possibity of gaining a political advantage...

Maybe I should stay out of politics, then.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

It's called "voting"... That attracts lawsuits... "Hanging chads" == "sloppy touches"...

I actually have some experience in this -- I was with IBM when they owned VotoMatic...

... Been there...

...disaster begging to happen!...

...bad, bad... badder...

It's a system already in place, being updated to add ease of use for the pollster.

Quote:

Election workers are taking the iPads and printers around to "parks, nursing homes and community centers" in search of voters who have difficulty with traditional paper ballots, the report said. Voters simply, call up the ballot, tap the screen to choose a candidate, then print it out. But, technically, citizens aren't using the iPad to actually vote, as they still need to print out the ballots and either drop them off at a ballot box or in the mail.

The custom iPad app, which cost the state $75,000 to develop, allows users to adjust the font size and colors and will read out candidates' names and instructions. For those with limited mobility, a "sip-and-puff" device can be attached to the iPad. Voters with their own Bluetooth-capable accessibility devices, such as joysticks and paddles, can also connect them to the iPads.

It's Government managed and under the Enterprise License that means not for general consumer use.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Political zealots have a thin skin. A few words taken out of context and they show their real "color". So sad.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's a system already in place, being updated to add ease of use for the pollster.

It's Government managed and under the Enterprise License that means not for general consumer use.

C'mon... Election workers have never been challanged?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Assuming lawsuits do ensue, is Apple really the target? I don't imagine they would be managing any part of the process.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Assuming lawsuits do ensue, is Apple really the target? I don't imagine they would be managing any part of the process.

They will question that the devices haven't been validated, weren't secured, Instructions were'nt clear, didn't record the touches accurately, there is no audit trail...

Apple will be sued among many others...

At best the highly-visible Apple gets lots of bad publicity...

It really is a no-win proposition!

... It is sad, really...
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

They will question that the devices haven't been validated, weren't secured, Instructions were'nt clear, didn't record the touches accurately, there is no audit trail...

Apple will be sued among many others...

At best the highly-visible Apple gets lots of bad publicity...

It really is a no-win proposition!

... It is sad, really...

I see your rationale, but you might be taking "what if" to the extreme. You are right, however, that the history of *democracy* has many chapters that make one's head shake.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Sorry... Didn't mean to overload this thread with negative posts...

I actually like the idea of an Apple donation to enable voters who are otherwise challanged by tradional voting methods and procedures.

In a better world, this would be celebrated and acclaimed... As it should be.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    This is, after all, a test program. It's also in a state that does nothing but Vote-by-mail so there are no polling places, no voting machines. The iPad could be a huge boon for voter accessibility, just as it has helped other industries (health care, education). Whatever usage bugs occur can be worked out through the pilot phase. While there are often poll workers (in other states) who don't take their jobs very seriously, I figure that the ones picked for this program will be well-trained and well-versed in usage of the app. There will always be controversy regardless of the technology used. Despite this, anything to help make voting easier is always helpful. We've come a long way from the Votomatic.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    This is a program developed & run by the State of Oregon. Apple just suplies a part. any lawsuit couldn't target Apple, it would have to target the State Election Board.

I am quite disheartened by the bit about the blind. After news of NCR promising that all states with their machines would go Republican, I rather like Oregon's system. Oregon is probably the last state with a fool-proof system.