iOS 5 camera app contains hidden panorama mode

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hackers have discovered a hidden panorama mode embedded within Apple's Camera application on iOS 5, though the feature does not appear to be completed.

iOS hacker Conrad Kramer, who goes by the alias Conradev, revealed on Monday that he had discovered a way to enable the hidden Panorama mode within Apple's own app, as noted by iDownloadBlog. The feature, which appears to be in ongoing development by Apple, offers settings for a grid and HDR when creating a panorama photo.

According to Kramer, the mode is activated by setting the "EnableFirebreak" key to YES in a preference file within the mobile operating system.

Fellow jailbreak hacker Grant Paul, also known as Chpwn, posted screenshots and examples of the panorama mode. He also announced that a tweak enabling the feature has been submitted to the Cydia application storefront for jailbroken iPhones and should arrive sometime on Tuesday.

'Jailbreaking' is a process that opens up an iOS device to run unauthorized code and applications. Though the U.S. government has legalized the procedure, it does still void Apple's warranty.

With the release of the iPhone 4S, iCloud and iOS 5 last month, jailbreak hackers have been kept busy. Paul recently publicized a tweak that brought limited Siri voice assistant functionality to the iPhone 4 and the fourth-generation iPod touch. Siri is currently only officially available on Apple's new iPhone 4S.

In addition, a "hidden" Drop Box-like syncing feature was discovered last week in Mac OS X Lion that can be used to sync files across multiple Macs.

In August, the notorious jailbreak hacker "Comex" revealed that he would be starting an internship with Apple. It is not immediately clear whether he is working specifically on iOS security, but some have speculated that the iPhone maker will put him to use on locking down its software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Probably something they'll officially save until iOS 6. I'm sure like everything else Apple wants to make sure this is done as close to perfect as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Probably something they'll officially save until iOS 6. I'm sure like everything else Apple wants to make sure this is done as close to perfect as possible.

iOS 6 maybe, or even 5.1(.2, .3, whatever they get up to), since they added HDR in 4.1.

Wonder if they'll even include neat little sub-features like automatically matching exposure between images to have the same lighting patterns across the whole panorama.

Knowing Apple, that sounds like something they'd pitch as a feature in and of itself.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Like most things, there is an App for that...

360 Panorama works great, but I'm sure an Apple version would cool..
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I have been using 360 panorama as well. Let's hope that Apple's design is just as easy to use. History teaches me that it will probably be even better.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Yea, well, Siri is running on iPhone 3GS too:

Video:

http://www.geohot.us/2011/11/siri-su...phone-3gs.html

Now, multitasking gestures for iPhone/iPod Touch PLEASE, Apple!!!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Video:

1) You going for the threadjacking record?

2) Surely if one 3GS works then all 3GSes will work ust find on Siri's backend¡

3) A rumour that suggests Apple will eventually allow iDevices to use Siri as they move closer toward the end of the beta means nothing to you? Better just to adjust the tinfoil hat and assume Apple is evil?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 6 maybe, or even 5.1(.2, .3, whatever they get up to), since they added HDR in 4.1.

Wonder if they'll even include neat little sub-features like automatically matching exposure between images to have the same lighting patterns across the whole panorama.

Knowing Apple, that sounds like something they'd pitch as a feature in and of itself.

Relatively soon. .1, 2 or 3 I'd say, 'cos first, they wouldn't have built that much into 5's shipping code if it was for 6, and second, 'cos the first Ice Cream Sammich phone has it quite well implemented according to the demo I saw. So if it just needs polishing, no reason to give Android an extra check box in their ads.

They gotta get the original bugs of both a new iOS AND a new device tied down first (e.g., battery life), open complete distribution to most of the world, and then they can focus on some already planned enhancements lurking in there like this. Sometimes it's a plan to hump a later added feature, and others it's just 'cos they didn't have it finished enough for general release.

Siri's a special case - too central to the entire marketing of the 4s as really being new and unique (and not just tweaked) - so released with the rare (for Apple) beta-to-the-whole-world label.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    It's a bad society where you need consent from the government to do whatever you want with YOUR phone.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I bet we will see it in the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

'Jailbreaking' is a process that opens up an iOS device to run unauthorized code and applications. Though the U.S. government has legalized the procedure, it does still void Apple's warranty.

If you felt the need to educate your audience as though we're clueless neophytes, you should have went all the way and explained what Cydia was.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

It's a bad society where you need consent from the government to do whatever you want with YOUR phone.

That has never been the case. Historically, jailbreaking has always been legal. When Apple brought it up officially, the former was found to be true. That's all the government did.

And I think that "spoofing your IMEI to receive calls from someone else's phone" falls under 'whatever you want', and that doesn't have government consent.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Surely if one 3GS works then all 3GSes will work ust find on Siri's backend¡

3) A rumour that suggests Apple will eventually allow iDevices to use Siri as they move closer toward the end of the beta means nothing to you? Better just to adjust the tinfoil hat and assume Apple is evil?

well, let's hope this source is right. I'd love to have Siri on my iPad2. I don't see why it couldn't already work? Wasn't the iP4s basically a hardware update to the iPad2 standards?

While they're at it, they can work on getting the "Missing 6 Apps" back on the iPad. However a found an app to replace the "Clock" that is basically a carbon copy of the native app. Which they had one for Weather and Stocks like this. I Know there are many great apps out there, but nothing that was as simple and nice looking as the native iPhone one's.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    comment deleted.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    I tried it out. It's garbage. Literally. Horribly bad. No wonder Apple hasn't released it, there are a thousand apps in the app store that do this and actually work. I'm glad they didn't release this because it's just bad. If you have a jailbroken phone don't even take the 20 second and try it out, total waste of time. Would be nice to have a native solution though. Maybe Apple will clean it up and release it later on.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:

That has never been the case. Historically, jailbreaking has always been legal. When Apple brought it up officially, the former was found to be true. That's all the government did.

And I think that "spoofing your IMEI to receive calls from someone else's phone" falls under 'whatever you want', and that doesn't have government consent.

Not true. Historically no one knew for sure it was legal under the DMCA. Apple lobbied hard to make it illegal and was never successful. Only after that did the Library of Congress explicitly state that jailbreaking wasn't in violation of the DMCA. It wasn't know to be illegal, but no one knew if it was legal until they said it was. Even now that it is legal, it's voids your warranty. That is easily fixed with a fresh restore and Apple will never know the difference.

Also for your second part, the government doesn't consent to you beating someones head in with your phone either. But that doesn't have anything to do with what the poster was getting at. Completely irrelevant.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There are countries where using an unauthorized IEMI is very illegal. I think S. Korea is one of them.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Also for your second part, the government doesn't consent to you beating someones head in with your phone either. But that doesn't have anything to do with what the poster was getting at. Completely irrelevant.

Sure, what you said doesn't. What I said was right in line with that.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Video:

Now, multitasking gestures for iPhone/iPod Touch PLEASE, Apple!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL