Is this even possible?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone...

I have an old iMac I am giving to my friends, so I initialized the drive and put a completely new OS on it. The only software they needed was AOL and AppleWorks. So, in order to put this stuff on, the OS made me go through the setup process (putting in my name and adress and stuff like that). So I put in all this generic stuff just so I could put the software on there for them.

Is there a way to make the iMac think it's starting up for the fist time now...so they can go through that whole setup process and put in their real information? I'm not even sure if it's possible, but if it is...I would love to know!!

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by SurfRat:

<strong>

Is there a way to make the iMac think it's starting up for the fist time now...so they can go through that whole setup process and put in their real information? I'm not even sure if it's possible, but if it is...I would love to know!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look here:

Hard Drive&gt;Applications&gt;Utilities&gt;Assistants&g t;Mac OS Setup Assistant

that's on MacOS 9 anyway your milage may vary.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    AllInOne is pointing you in the right direction (assuming MacOS 9, of course) but here's the additional details you need: Make an alias of the Mac OS Setup Assistant and place it in the Startup Items folder, inside of the System Folder. (My preferred method of doing this is to command-option-drag the file where I want the alias to be.) Whenever the Mac OS Setup Assistant is run, it checks for this alias and deletes it if it finds it.

Another interesting side-note: If you hold down the shift key just during the last few seconds of the startup procedure (while the Finder itself is starting to load) then you'll bypass anything in the Startup Items folder, including your alias of the Mac OS Setup Assistant.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Thanks Guys...Done and Done.