Consumer Reports declares Apple addressed antenna issue with iPhone 4S

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that it was "totally wrong" in the sense that there was no attention to detail that the iPhone 4 was very much usable at a much lower dB single strengths than previous iPhones (and other cellphones in general) which warranted the change in the bars to accommodate this paradigm in cellphone antenna design. It's not like Apple to forget about these things, which is too bad because I think if people didn't see 1 to 3 drops in bars on their phones — a situation that was resolved by this SW change — the whole antennagate issue may not have happened.

Truthfully though, no one makes calls based on how many bars there are. I've never heard someone say that because there was one or two bars, they weren't going to bother making a call. You try to make a call no matter what the bars are, right or wrong.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Indeed. I just think that "hand variation" and indeed iPhone to iPhone variation*, is something that's overlooked when trying to understand why some people swear blind that the problem is serious ("I just have to touch it with one finger and it drops calls!") when most people's experience doesn't bear that out.

I never could get it to drop a call from touching that point.

LOL I also remember at least person comparing other phones by touching in the equivalnet spot on the device (lower lefthand side) instead of touching the spot that makes the antenna attenuate the most. So I guess the event Apple held did some good that it should that the back of phones did cause considerably attenuation for the devices demos.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

How does it disprove that 3.5" size is a compromise?

I don't get any of your posts. They don't read as being clearly stated points.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Truthfully though, no one makes calls based on how many bars there are. I've never heard someone say that because there was one or two bars, they weren't goi g to bother making a call. You try to make a call no matter what the bars are, right or wrong.

Good point. As long as I have a connection I couldn't care less. I don't run with the Db showing as a value and couldn't tell you how many bars I had the last time I made a call.

On that, even with 5 bars it's been noted at certain times in certain places — like Las Vegas for CES — the only way to get data on your AT&T iPhone is to disable '3G' and go with EDGE. This is no longer an option for any iPhone using the Qualcomm MDM66x0 chip and not an iOS 5.0 removal of that Settings under Network. I think that is more disrupting than the antennagate ever was in reality.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The average consumer doesn't want bigger. It's the geeks who want bigger. And there are also design reasons for choosing 3.5".

any OEM that offers just one standard model, like Apple, has to make it small. since portability is ultimately the #1 priority for a cell phone, that addresses the broadest possible market.

most OEM's offer several models tho, so they can also sell larger models too for the significant number of people who like a bigger screen and have pockets/handbags it will fit. it's not just geeks. those of us with poor vision and/or clumsy fingers find a bigger screen helpful, especially for web browsing.

so Apple would be smart to add a 5" iPhone model. and a 5" iPod touch too. both would be popular, and add to overall sales.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

How does it disprove that 3.5" size is a compromise?

It doesn't disprove that. It wasn't supposed to. I wasn't responding to the idea of a compromise, but to the idea of how we would know which size phones were more popular.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Can you refer me to the survey where the average consumers and geeks said that?

I don't need 'em. I'm that good.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Sure you are. RDF
  • Reply 87 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Darn tootin' they fixed it on the iPhone 4S. It's awesome, great reception, and it's just beautiful to use the white iPhone 4S naked as Steve intended.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So that's holding anturaly, but what about cupping tightly?

Hey that's between me and my doctor, okay?
  • Reply 89 of 100
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I mean you choke a Nexus One it loses signal....

you put a finger to an iPhone 4 it loses signal...(from full to none depending on signal strength)

Not the same thing...kind of a big deal...but not as big a deal as a lot of people were making it out to be.

Well it would have been if the bars havent been reporting badly for years on IOS devices.

It shouldnt have displayed full bars on those locations that you put your finger on it and the call gets dropped. I Certainly havent been able to cut 1 single call because i put my finger on the gap... the bars at the most only drop 1 bar.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

Well it would have been if the bars havent been reporting badly for years on IOS devices.

It shouldnt have displayed full bars on those locations that you put your finger on it and the call gets dropped. I Certainly havent been able to cut 1 single call because i put my finger on the gap... the bars at the most only drop 1 bar.

Yeah, I know a Fandroid IRL that keeps perpetuating that "one finger drops 4 bars" anecdote from the iOS 4.0 days, despite the fact that the signal display bug had been corrected a long time ago.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:

Sure you are. RDF

It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's the geeks that are crying out for 5" phones.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    Quote:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's the geeks that are crying out for 5" phones.

I consider myself a geek (and something of an old-timer, or at least someone with 'outmoded' desires, since I want the Mac Pro to not only keep existing but to get a little bigger? even after the removal of optical drives) and I'm crying out for the continuance of the 3.5" display. If I wanted something bigger, I would have gotten an iPad.

And I did. So I'm good there.

Maybe what people really want is a retooling of iOS to "better fit" a 3.5" display.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I already have a 5" touch sensitive device. Wait? what?!
  • Reply 94 of 100
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I consider myself a geek (and something of an old-timer, or at least someone with 'outmoded' desires, since I want the Mac Pro to not only keep existing but to get a little bigger? even after the removal of optical drives) and I'm crying out for the continuance of the 3.5" display. If I wanted something bigger, I would have gotten an iPad.

And I did. So I'm good there.

Maybe what people really want is a retooling of iOS to "better fit" a 3.5" display.

Quote:

Genius or no genius, looks like your geek-dar and average-consumer-dar aren't as good as you think.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    Quote:

Genius or no genius, looks like your geek-dar and average-consumer-dar aren't as good as you think.

I'm right on this one. Regular consumers want 3.5", fandroids want HUGE screens. The huger the better. They are retarded.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    Quote:

The average consumer doesn't want bigger. It's the geeks who want bigger. And there are also design reasons for choosing 3.5".

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm right on this one. Regular consumers want 3.5", fandroids want HUGE screens. The huger the better. They are retarded.

Repeating the samething over and over again does not necessarily make it true. "I am right because I am repeating it." Talk about being retarded. I am outta this. \
  • Reply 97 of 100
    Quote:

Talk about being retarded. I am outta this. \

That's a pretty good idea. Once you start insulting people it's time to step away. We don't want to hand out infractions so let's keep it clean.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I haven't had that problem at all. I do notice the signal drop. But it hasn't been a problem. The signal drops much more if you grab it over the majority of the phone. Then, it's a problem.

I guess that's the issue most are arguing here (not saying you are the messenger here) that, "Since I don't see a problem with my iPhone 4, there is no problem".

But what if I say (out of empirical evidence) that "from personal use (two iphone4's) and four friends with iPh4's, all have complained about the phone dropping calls in perfectly good radio conditions (where their and my previous Nokia's never dropped a call). These problems were all greatly reduced by adding bumpers to the phones. No cusping of the phone required."

Now would that be trolling (because we are on a fan site and such observations are thought of as a lie or at least blasphemy)?

If we take my word (which is not fabricated in this case) as true, wouldn't that imply that there is an issue (some issue at least)?

Would it make everyone satisfied if we say that the detuning is a real phenominon on the iphone4, but the antenna and phone as a whole is an improvement over previous phones that the improvements make the flaw (detuning by finger) less of an issue than it was originally portrayed to be and this flaw has now been fixed in iP4s making it even better in reception?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:

Whoa! Talk about self confidence!

BTW as a non-english speaker: Is huger an english word?
  • Reply 100 of 100
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Slam Consumer Reports all you want, and they shouldn't be immune to criticism like anyone else, but I think it's good to have independent verification that the 4S has better antenna characteristics than the 4. This was certainly a black-eye for Apple, their excuse of "all phone have this problem, our phone doesn't have a problem" was corporate double-speak at its best/worst. The fact that the degraded antenna performance of the 4 was due to an aesthetic design goal just makes this worse.

And yes, I realize this didn't seem to effect sales at all. Sad that we, as consumers, now have to accept poorer voice quality in exchange for better looking, slimmer phones.

Yes, exactly. It is good that a third part runs tests and publishes the results. If the flaw had not been so prominately confirmed, apple may have continued to deny the issue and may not have fixed it in the 4s.